Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time Cope CEO gets €1000pw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

Glad i froze my hole off doing the christmas day swim to pay the guys wages

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

1K a week for 25 hours work!

ah here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

€53K for part time work. Sign me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

It's actually disgusting !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Lots of people give out about the CEOs earning too much, so how much should the CEO of a charity be on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Max 40,000 a week working a 40 hour week

3fullback wrote: »

a week? Think you mean year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

During the market meltdowns of 2008, charities lost billions they had invested, instead of putting to the causes they were investing a lot of it, when i learned that i have never given to charity again, we can thank the Internet for waking us all up to the charity scams that have been going on for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Ideo wrote: »
    Lots of people give out about the CEOs earning too much, so how much should the CEO of a charity be on?

Thats a very good question and its hard to answer but no charity should be following civil service/hse pay standards, they are just too high.

Its bad enough for tax payers to be forced to pay for these wage levels but its not simply wrong for charities.

Its very difficult now to know whats a bona-fida charity and called a charity but is really a funded arm of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

3fullback wrote: »

We know you mean €40,000 a year for a full MD/CEO.

Let me just ask, if one leader could only maintain an organization or another expand it ultimately employing/helping more people who would you choose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Felexicon

To be fair though, that's not a huge wage for a CEO in any sector. Looks bad because of the part time piece but when it's prorated it isn't huge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The CEO of the charity The Jack and Jill Foundation recently released that he earns 90k a year and said he works 80-90 hours a week. He seemed to think that was a relatively low sum compared to other charity CEOs.

I guess realistically that charities don't administer themselves. If its going to be vital enough to make a difference it probably needs a capable professional at the helm rather than a cheaper charity effort. I'm not comfortable with it, I make an effort to donate to charities every year,I don't like thinking I'm paying some fat cats Salary, but I'm not sure what the alternative is.

During the market meltdowns of 2008, charities lost billions they had invested, instead of putting to the causes they were investing a lot of it, when i learned that i have never given to charity again, we can thank the Internet for waking us all up to the charity scams that have been going on for decades.

Can you prove the billions? And charities holding investments etc that is the prudent thing to do. There is no point spending all of their money in week one, they run in line with budgets etc, and if holding investments gives them a return that they can then use in the future what is the problem? Fair enough they got burned, but even the banks didn't see that coming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The CEO of the charity The Jack and Jill Foundation recently released that he earns 90k a year and said he works 80-90 hours a year. He seemed to think that was a relatively low sum compared to other charity CEOs. .

A thousand euros an hour. No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

This year:
    • COPE Galway provided over 15,000 bed nights to 356 people.
    • COPE Galway provided refuge to 88 women with 83 children who were fleeing from violence at home and a further 283 women and 253 children availed of their Support and Outreach service with over 400 appointments provided throughout Galway City and County in 2013.
    • COPE Galway helped over 200 older people, some of whom feel isolated and alone, and provided over 45,000 meals.

You can read more about our impact in 2013 in our ‘End of Year Review’ here.

In May 2013 COPE Galway became one of the first organisations in the West to voluntarily sign up to the Governance Code for Community & Voluntary organisations in Ireland. Similarly, we adopted the Statement of Guiding Principles for Fundraising in January 2013.

COPE Galway publish our annual report, including a financial summary outlining where our money comes from and where it is spent, every year and our annual reports for the last 6 years are available on our website here.

As a public body our financial records are independently audited every year and our audited accounts are filed with the Companies Office. Our most recent audited financial statements can be read here. Further, I can confirm:

• All our salaries are below the levels of corresponding staff aligned to HSE pay scales.
    • Our CEO, Jacquie Horan, receives a salary of €53,251 (part-time, minimum 25 hours per week).
    • We do not and never have paid top ups.
    • All expenses claimed are for out of pocket costs incurred and are supported by receipts.
    • We operate a defined contribution PRSA scheme for staff with equal terms for all employees who choose to participate.
    • As an organisation we manage our resources efficiently in order to deliver the best possible service at the least cost.
    • All funds raised in any year are required to deliver services for that year. We have never been in a position to accumulate reserves.

Plenty of good work and transparency in their operations it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No one should be surprised because every charity should be made to publicise how they spend donations.

We need a charities regulator & a simple website that shows & compares charity spending. Then we can all make informed choices regarding who we support.

The CEO of Jack & Jill gave a full explanation on radio recently - I think that he is worth every cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Can anyone tell me when it became a social taboo to make an effort in school, go to college and work hard, get some sort of qualification, gain some experience, maybe move jobs a few times, embracing new challenges, being proud of it AND earn a nice pay packet at the end of it?

By the way earning €53,251 is not a big salary.

Frynge wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me when it became a social taboo to make an effort in school, go to college and work hard, get some sort of qualification, gain some experience, maybe move jobs a few times, embracing new challenges, being proud offer it AND earn a nice pay packet at the end of it?

By the way earning €53,251 is not a big salary.

Nothing wrong if the salary is paid from profits rather than donations.

The equivalent salary is really €106,000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Discodog wrote: »
    The equivalent salary is really €106,000.
    How do you figure?
    Pro-rata €53,251 / (52weeks x 25hours) = €40.96ph x 39h x 52 weeks = €83,071pa
    Of course that's assuming a normal 39h week & no holiday pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

snubbleste wrote: »
    How do you figure?
    Pro-rata €53,251 / (52weeks x 25hours) = €40.96ph x 39h x 52 weeks = €83,071pa
    Of course that's assuming a normal 39h week & no holiday pay

The statement explicitly stated "part time" There is no information if this is for a 52 weeks. She might only be working 40 weeks of the year, that much we do not know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

zarquon wrote: »
    The statement explicitly stated "part time" There is no information if this is for a 52 weeks. She might only be working 40 weeks of the year, that much we do not know.
    Don't make it worse!
    If the CEO is on that much, what about the next tier of management, then junior management etc etc.

No CEO in industry works only a 39 hour week. Also a significant amount of their income is dependant on results.

Charities can throw up odd situations. I know a freelance fundraiser who is paid over £100,000 a year by a UK charity. She charges 10% of what she raises :-)

The CEO of the charity The Jack and Jill Foundation recently released that he earns 90k a year and said he works 80-90 hours a year. He seemed to think that was a relatively low sum compared to other charity CEOs.

I guess realistically that charities don't administer themselves. If its going to be vital enough to make a difference it probably needs a capable professional at the helm rather than a cheaper charity effort. I'm not comfortable with it, I make an effort to donate to charities every year,I don't like thinking I'm paying some fat cats Salary, but I'm not sure what the alternative is.

I heard him on the radio too and he works 80-90 hours a week not a year.

And he said he has had the same salary for 10 years.

He also said that they dont recieve state funding i think.

and this idea that we need to pay big wages to get good people is bs.
    its bs propagated by the elite since the 2008 crash.

imo anyone working in the charity sector should be there because its a vocation. Not a career choice.
    these pay scales reflect the later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

flynnlives wrote: »
    and this idea that we need to pay big wages to get good people is bs.
    its bs propagated by the elite since the 2008 crash.

imo anyone working in the charity sector should be there because its a vocation. Not a career choice.
    these pay scales reflect the later.

The people who have a vocation and work within charities are the people who are on the ground making the meals, serving the meals, delivering them. A lot of whom would be unpaid.

To think upper management of a charity should not use it as their career would result in no charities getting further than a canned food collection in the local community center. To have such large charities functioning in any meaningful manner it has to be managed as a business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Frynge wrote: »
    The people who have a vocation and work within charities are the people who are on the ground making the meals, serving the meals, delivering them. A lot of whom would be unpaid.

To think upper management of a charity should not use it as their career would result in no charities getting further than a canned food collection in the local community center. To have such large charities functioning in any meaningful manner it has to be managed as a business.

And it is having the exact opposite effect now, people see the high figures being paid to management and are saying im not going to support that charity anymore when my money goes to paying these fat cats in plush offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

As far as I see charities in Galway thevonly ones I will donate to are the gspca or madra as they always put the animals before their own financial needs.
    These people work tirelessly get shag all assistance from the govt and if they can never see an animal left in the pound to be euthanased they will doball they can to save them.
    I also admire the Galway hospice but have no idea if they have a ceo coining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Tbf everything mentions part time MINIMUM 25 hours a week. In reality the hours worked could be more than that.
    Back to the main point of the post.......
    There are a lot of people in this state with grander titles and even grander salaries. If you were to look at the number of upper management directly employed by the state youd be surprised. Are the state getting value for money from these CEOs on grand salaries or would things operate fine without as many of them?

Ultimately very few state employed ceos have stressful roles that require a great deal of knowledge. More importantly very few of them have the tools required to effect or implement change. Indeed the politicians essentially call the shots. So do we need as many?
    As for the charity side of the coin.....a lot of these charities wouldnt be needed at all if the elected reps did their jobs.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A thousand euros an hour. No chance.

It was 80-90 hours a week he worked. Sorry!

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    As for the charity side of the coin.....a lot of these charities wouldnt be needed at all if the elected reps did their jobs.......

and this is the point the media and obviously the politicans want to ignore in this recent crisis.

Advertisement