Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Exploration game

• 21-12-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a good space exploration game, along the lines of the Mass Effect trilogy. Don't know why, but i got a hankering for discovery!

Should point out that i don't like turn based games, and preferably single player, but i'd be willing to give MP a go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Looking for a good space exploration game, along the lines of the Mass Effect trilogy. Don't know why, but i got a hankering for discovery!

Should point out that i don't like turn based games, and preferably single player, but i'd be willing to give MP a go.

Are you talking about a simulation game or you wanting 3rd /1st person shooting on ground/foot etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Are you talking about a simulation game or you wanting 3rd /1st person shooting on ground/foot etc ?

3rd/1st person, on ground preferably. Definitley need some actual planetary exploration, not just "oh, look, a purple planet". More like the exploration in ME1 than ME2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The Star Wars Knights Of the Old Republic games might be worth a look. They're another bioware RPG set in the Star Wars universe so they're a bit like mass effect and quite good games as well.

Also if you literally want to fly rockets and satellites to other planets Kerbal Space Program might be worth a look though it's more a rocket sim than an RPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The X series are pretty good at exploration, apart from the latest installment.

Eve Online has a great deal of exploration if you're willing to pay the subscription and brave the cold indifferent difficulty curve of an already harsh galaxy where some of the players dedicate their lives to being professional jerks.

Might have a look at KOTOR, sounds like what i'm looking for. Have Kerbal and i found it fairly hard to understand, managed to get into space once but couldn't orbit to save myself, and ran out of fuel...

Must look at the X series as well, but EVE probably won't do it for me. I'd rather pay up front and have it all open to me, micro-transactions bug me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

If you liked Mass Effect definitely check out Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords with the Restored Content mod.
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

It's €7 on steam now but will probably drop to €5 or even €2.50 during the Xmas sale.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/208580/

The first KOTOR is a bit tricky to get working on modern systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mass Effect was a Space Exploration Game???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Funnily enough KOTOR 2 is one of todays deals on Steam.

Funnily enough KOTOR 2 is one of todays deals on Steam.

KOTOR is to space exploration as Kerbal is to Elite but KOTOR 1&2 should in everyone's collection. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The I-War games are older but are brilliant.
    The later Elite games will run via dosbox.
    Mercenary and the sequels are interesting.
    Rogue Galaxy by Square Enix is very good.
    X Wing Alliance is another cracking older game with exploration and an extensive single player campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Evochron might be worth a look. It's your standard space tradey/shooty game with the added feature of being able to land on planets and wander about in a mech suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Sounds like No Man Sky is exactly what you are looking for, unfortunately wont be out for a while though

VinLieger wrote: »
    Sounds like No Man Sky is exactly what you are looking for, unfortunately wont be out for a while though

I saw that, and that's probably what kickstarted my exploration want!

Few good suggestions above, should keep me going. Was looking at KOTOR II (as i read about the issues with KOTOR and running it on modern systems). Have it in the wishlist, so will wait to see how it goes on Steam.

Cheers folks!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,309 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I saw that, and that's probably what kickstarted my exploration want!

Few good suggestions above, should keep me going. Was looking at KOTOR II (as i read about the issues with KOTOR and running it on modern systems). Have it in the wishlist, so will wait to see how it goes on Steam.

Cheers folks!

I've ran the first one no problem on my laptop, downloaded a mod to make it widescreen too which works fine. The second one is a daily deal on steam right now.

That No Man's Sky, looks amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

SWTOR could be what your looking for. Although X3 AP is pretty damn good although no ground exploration.
    Id give Freelancer, Darkstar One a go.

SWTOR could be what your looking for. Although X3 AP is pretty damn good although no ground exploration.
    Id give Freelancer, Darkstar One a go.

Yeah, SWTOR if you can stomach the MMO aspects, would be good if you like that universe. EvE is more of a "lets see how debased human society would be if we were all anonymous and death wasn't permanent" social experiment, with CoD being run to verify the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

EVE online! :pac:

You will get your exploration and space in buckets!

nesf wrote: »
    Mass Effect was a Space Exploration Game???

To be fair, there was some exploration to it.

To be fair, there was some exploration to it.

Yeah, but it makes about as much sense as calling Halo a driving game no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

EVE online! :pac:

You will get your exploration and space in buckets!

You can explore in Eve if you're wealthy and wily enough to avoid getting murdered. Pretty much every star system belongs to some jerk or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah, but it makes about as much sense as calling Halo a driving game no?
    Don't get me started on a Pillar of Autumn rant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

http://maiagame.com/

this maybe?

Looks interesting, i'll have to keep an eye on it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks interesting, i'll have to keep an eye on it!

Me too :)

Advertisement