Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

harvey norman waterford

Options
  • 21-12-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Went in today to buy a tablet. No samsung in stock. Nexus 7 not on display, had to ask to look at one, but they cannot open the box. Insisted on selling A LG tablet. Very pushy sales talk. Left, will try eslewhere tomorrow,any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭eagerv

Tesco apparently have a good deal on the Samsung Tab3, both 7 and 8 inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Pc world had the Samsung tab 7 for 149 or169 with case today. Didn't spot the nexus but want looking for it so they could have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Tesco Ardkeen have or at least had the nexus this-morning. Try DID across from tesco also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

call into frank frampton in kelly and dollard he'll sort ya

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Was in Harvey Norman this evening looking at a printer. Far from pushy for me. The girl showed me some products, made some recommendations, and left it for me to decide. I asked if I buy it, would she get any credit and she didn't seem to think it would be that big of a deal for her but thanked me, wrote a number on the box and left me to decide.

I work in sales myself and personally found this the right approach. Didn't push anything on me, but gave me the various options and let me decide.

Another chap that was there said there would be reductions in the Stephen's Day Sale. Didn't push anything on us.

I guess it depends on the rep but I haven't ever found Harvey Norman reps pushy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I was in Harvey Normans about a month ago looking for a desktop and a high end desk top at that. I was in and out a few times as i was comparing prices but every time i suggested a haggle or a deal i more or less got a blank refusal, I reminded them that there was an advert not so long ago about comon in and haggle with us, fat lot of good it did me, I was spending over 1000 on a computer and i asked what can you do on price i was told pretty much nothing. I made it clear that i HAD to buy a computer and I had cash with me, that didnt bother them and I ended up going to PC World, I was buying a separate desk top a separate monitor security microsoft office etc etc. not a bit of a budge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was in Harvey Normans about a month ago looking for a desktop and a high end desk top at that. I was in and out a few times as i was comparing prices but every time i suggested a haggle or a deal i more or less got a blank refusal, I reminded them that there was an advert not so long ago about comon in and haggle with us, fat lot of good it did me, I was spending over 1000 on a computer and i asked what can you do on price i was told pretty much nothing. I made it clear that i HAD to buy a computer and I had cash with me, that didnt bother them and I ended up going to PC World, I was buying a separate desk top a separate monitor security microsoft office etc etc. not a bit of a budge.

I assume the haggle was a promotion and something they can't permanently do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yep, I have been there. Was looking at their desktops a year ago and found one that really suited me with the features etc and before I knew it the sales rep was guiding me to the checkout and asking if i wanted to pay by cash or card! Annoyed at this overly forward and pushy approach I told her I have a few to look at to compare first, and also said could she give me a deal given that I had bought a LOT of accessories for my PC there over the years and she flat out refused to budge on price, I was only looking for 40 quid off it and the PC cost over a grand! This whole crap of "haggle with us for a bargain" is just a sales ploy because they know Irish people dont want to offend people by haggling others so in most cases they just accept the price on offer and get the deal over and done with, so the odd time when you DO try to haggle you are just point blank refused.

It happens with car insurance, house insurance, buying furniture etc, I have never been able to haggle anything off the asking price, even when I point out how much business I have given them. Even in a recession our shops are obviously doing well enough to lose business when people walk out after being refused. I for one wont be shopping in Harvey Norman after their approach but I dont think that will matter a dot to the profit line. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Forget about the Samsung. If you are looking for something decent in the lower price range the original model Nexus can be got for about 179 in some places. Best value I have seen locally of late is the ASUS Memo HD in PCWorld for 159. Nice spec, can't be beaten for the money locally. Significantly better than the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, The HP Slate, the LG, all those cheap nasty no-namers too.

They had loads of stock the other day too in 4 different colours. I was getting one as a gift for someone and it seemed to be as good as my Nexus (original model).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

If you were trying to get a haggle on an apple product, it just doesn't and can't happen.

When you say high end desktop you may well have been referring to an iMac.

Most people try and haggle in a place, have no joy, storm out, and pay full price elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

When it comes to haggling you've a better chance with an independent owner run place than a branch of a chain store.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Google search is your best way of haggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Motivator

If you were spending over €1,000 on a desktop, do you mind me askin how much you wanted off it? €40 or €50? You seem like one of those annoying customers who just want to give out for the sake of it. You want a product, you know the price. What entitles you to a discount? You had €1,000 to spend, unless the computer cost €1,010 & you didn't have the €10 then you'd be entitled to complain but complaining about not receiving something you've no right to be given is laughable.

Motivator wrote: »
    If you were spending over €1,000 on a desktop, do you mind me askin how much you wanted off it? €40 or €50? You seem like one of those annoying customers who just want to give out for the sake of it. You want a product, you know the price. What entitles you to a discount? You had €1,000 to spend, unless the computer cost €1,010 & you didn't have the €10 then you'd be entitled to complain but complaining about not receiving something you've no right to be given is laughable.

Harvey Norman ran a national campaign telling people to go into their shops and do it.

Id say that entitles him to go in and ask for a discount.

Harvey Norman ran a national campaign telling people to go into their shops and do it.

Id say that entitles him to go in and ask for a discount.

There's certain products they can't give a discount on. I'd still love to know what he thinks he was entitled to though.

I bought a tv there at the start of the summer & the chap through in the stand for free. I would imagine it was because I was a pleasure to deal with & didn't go asking for things I'm not entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

There's certain products they can't give a discount on. I'd still love to know what he thinks he was entitled to though.

I bought a tv there at the start of the summer & the chap through in the stand for free. I would imagine it was because I was a pleasure to deal with & didn't go asking for things I'm not entitled to.

Wow what a condescending and sarcastic reply, hows life up in the high horse? The OP specifically mentioned that the campaign encouraged customers to ask for a bargain or haggle. I know some Apple products cant be discounted on but my own experience was I was buying a non Apple PC and some software and it came to something silly like 1041euros, I asked for the 41euros to be taken off seeing as I was a familiar face and had given them a LOT of business (remember, we are in a recession, well you might not be but to a lot of people 40euros could provide a weekly shop in Aldi). I was refused point blank so I took my business elsewhere and havent been back. Its not being a d!ck to haggle, its just I find Irish people are too afraid of offending people to even attempt it but dont tar us all with the same brush please. Harvey Norman are not haggle friendly, simple as that.

You must be very young, or very rich, there was a time when you went to a shop and bought a few things for a house with cash you'd ask for a good deal, asking doesnt cost anything. you would also shop around and see can you get the thing cheaper somewhere else, or say I can get that cheaper in the other shop and give them the chance to say well we can do it for that price too.

Dollards useto be great for it they did me a great deal when i bought a hoover a deep fat fryer a kettle and a few bits like that they threw in the kettle for free. When i went to PC world i got a free memory card or stick normally worth 50 euro, and as other posters pointed out they useto run adverts saying come in and haggle with us.

If you gonna make presumptions about me and say you must be this or you must be that Im gonna presume that your a Celtic Tiger pup who had everything handed to him, I dont know anybody who goes into a shop making a fairly big purchase and doesnt try and do a deal, and i have to say for me it always works.

You must be very young, or very rich, there was a time when you went to a shop and bought a few things for a house with cash you'd ask for a good deal, asking doesnt cost anything. you would also shop around and see can you get the thing cheaper somewhere else, or say I can get that cheaper in the other shop and give them the chance to say well we can do it for that price too.

Dollards useto be great for it they did me a great deal when i bought a hoover a deep fat fryer a kettle and a few bits like that they threw in the kettle for free. When i went to PC world i got a free memory card or stick normally worth 50 euro, and as other posters pointed out they useto run adverts saying come in and haggle with us.

If you gonna make presumptions about me and say you must be this or you must be that Im gonna presume that your a Celtic Tiger pup who had everything handed to him, I dont know anybody who goes into a shop making a fairly big purchase and doesnt try and do a deal, and i have to say for me it always works.

Ok so, the next time I need petrol I'll go to the garage & tell then I want €50 petrol but I'm only going to pay €40 for it. I'll see how I get on.

Also, it obviously doesn't always work for you seeing as you're on here bitching about it.

Ok so, the next time I need petrol I'll go to the garage & tell then I want €50 petrol but I'm only going to pay €40 for it. I'll see how I get on.

Also, it obviously doesn't always work for you seeing as you're on here bitching about it.

Wow you seem a bit bent out of shape. It normally doesnt apply to goods that we buy on a fairly regular basis food clothes PETROL, it normally applies to things that we buy every few YEARS computers or buying more than one thing and in my case i was buying a desk top worth over €700 a monitor over €150 Microsoft office roughly €150-€190, Internet Security €90 roughly so I was buying quite a few bits in a shop where by their own advertising i was told to haggle and you have some neck making accusations when I was only doing what i was encouraged to do by the shop owner, where does the word haggle come from? its made up is it? I did everything that I was entitled to do and envited to do by the business owner and you come on here criticising me for that in a very irrational manner and im not that only one on here that pointed that out to you.

TVs, Computers etc. you generally can't get a discount on presumably due to low margins. That Haggle event was run back in 2009 over a period of days in March. I'd assume if the sales rep could haggle, he would? Who knows. But we appear to have different experiences in terms of pushy sales reps tho.

I have often heard the 'We have been shopping with you for years' line when the client is unknown or is known to spend very little. Kelly & Dollard used to look after regular clients fairly well, they would know the regulars, not sure if the new crowd do.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    TVs, Computers etc. you generally can't get a discount on presumably due to low margins. That Haggle event was run back in 2009 over a period of days in March. I'd assume if the sales rep could haggle, he would? Who knows. But we appear to have different experiences in terms of pushy sales reps tho.

I have often heard the 'We have been shopping with you for years' line when the client is unknown or is known to spend very little. Kelly & Dollard used to look after regular clients fairly well, they would know the regulars, not sure if the new crowd do.

In fairness i had never been in Dollards in my life, We were just shopping around we had items already picked out, we told them that we could buy the items cheaper in an english multi national but wanted to buy local Irish owned business(I know they aren't family owned now) we wanted to buy a few items Dyson Hoover deep fat fryer toaster kettle and a few bits like, they said ok we will do you a deal seens how your buying a few bits here got the kettle free and 5 or 10 euro off each product. we were delighted and we have since gone back, makes good business sense, obviously not if someone is just buying a kettle but a few items over 1000 euro, like a computer, i didnt get a good deal in Hardly Normal but i got a good deal in PC World and a few bits thrown in for free

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

This is the current offer in Harvey Norman. If you see the same item in another shop cheaper then ask for it at that price or go to the other shop and buy it.

I think youve a touch of depression or something.

Are you stuck in some ****ty job selling iPads or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

try soundstore. they have a price promise so can match any price.

Apple stuff has no mark up so hard to haggle on their stuff

I think youve a touch of depression or something.

Are you stuck in some ****ty job selling iPads or something?

Nope, I have a great job actually. May I ask, what is wrong with someone selling IPads? That's a strange statement I must admit. It's a bit lost on me.

Nope, I have a great job actually. May I ask, what is wrong with someone selling IPads? That's a strange statement I must admit. It's a bit lost on me.

Good on you but why the need to constantly complain. Youre clearly depressed. Cheer up.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

savic04 wrote: »
    try soundstore. they have a price promise so can match any price.

Apple stuff has no mark up so hard to haggle on their stuff

Got sorted in DID Electrial.
    Samsung tablets are 20 euro cheaper than harvey norman and pc world and saved 70 euro on a nexus tablet.
    90 euro saved without too much effort.

Good on you but why the need to constantly complain. Youre clearly depressed. Cheer up.

You still didn't answer my question.

TheBoffin wrote: »
    This is the current offer in Harvey Norman. If you see the same item in another shop cheaper then ask for it at that price or go to the other shop and buy it.

That was a good link, kinda says it all, As for someone pointing out that come in and haggle was an old add campaign, I dont think theres a time limit placed on haggling? They didnt say come in and haggle with us between now and the end of the month.

Make sure you let us know if you find a cheaper price, and we will try our best to look after you.

Kinda says it all, let us know and we'll try look after you.

By the way what kind of fool wouldnt be nice when going into haggle with staff? youd want to be some kind of fool to go in screaming and shouting saying i want money off! Motivator i think you dont have a leg to stand.

• Advertisement

That was a good link, kinda says it all, As for someone pointing out that come in and haggle was an old add campaign, I dont think theres a time limit placed on haggling? They didnt say come in and haggle with us between now and the end of the month.

Funnily enough they did put a time limit on it.. :)
    Make sure you let us know if you find a cheaper price, and we will try our best to look after you.

Kinda says it all, let us know and we'll try look after you.

A lot of companies run this offer, not just Harvey Norman.

Advertisement