Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new 2nd hand tank

Options
  • 21-12-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

hi,

i have just got a second hand tank today - i think it is 180/200L. it is about 1/3 full at the moment between water & gravel (was delivered with the water/fish in it).

I got a test kit today and it all looks good. I also added 10L of new water.

i have it in a temporary area in the shed and wanted to move it to final place on Tuesday evening and was planning on filling up then.

my question is re the filter - i assume it won't work unless there is a high level of water in the tank (up to the inlet)? Would it be OK to leave the filter off until Tuesday night or would this damage the environment. There is about a dozen fish in in.

thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

If filter is off more than 24 hours, more than likely the bacteria will die. Between the filter off, only 1/3 of the tank filled with water and a dozen fish in there without any filtration, I think the fish will move to a different "final place" than what you have in mind :(

The filter will work with any amount of water as long there's a tight fit on the pipes on the inlet and it doesn't suck air. Keep it on and start adding water to the tank, treated if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭depadz

thanks.. i ended up filled it up last night with treated water (aquaplus).
    Will remove the water when moving the tank and put it back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Whenever you're moving the tank, there's no need to put back the water that was already in it, think of it as a larger water change. There's a very small amount of beneficial bacteria living in the water anyway, so as long as the water is not straight from the tap, you can get away with a bigger percentage of water change.

Advertisement