Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coarse, Curly, Damaged Hair

• 21-12-2013 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

I have coarse, thick, hair that is damaged from tying it up with elastic hair bands too much. I comb it through in the shower with conditioner in, and them brush through with paddle brush when I get out of the shower. If I leave it curly I don't brush it again until the next time I wash it. However it is usually extremely tangled and hard to brush through post-washing, despite using good product to wash and condition, and combing through with conditioner.

I'm just wondering is there any brush that might help to pull out the tangles, but not break my hair anymore? If this brush helped to smooth and tame my coarse curls that would be great!

Alternatively any products you can suggest would be great too. I currently use Loreal Everpure range without sulfates,.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Tangle teaser brush, I personally don't have one (yet!) but I've heard great things about them. I wouldn't brush wet hair though usually, I just use a wide tooth comb.

I've been using the hask shampoo from Penneys and I love it. The masks are amazing too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Tangle teaser has changed my life.

I have waist length, thick, coarse hair that used to take 20 mins to comb out when wet, the tangle teaser is an answer to prayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've heard good things about the tangle teaser although I'm just using a regular brush right now. My hair can get really tangled if I don't look after it but I find that it helps if I don't rinse out every last bit of conditioner when I'm in the shower; curly hair kind of absorbs moisture so I don't find my hair any greasier for it. It makes showering faster and my hair is a bit easier to brush.

There's a great Argan oil shampoo and conditioner in Tesco; I don't remember the brand name but they come in brown and green bottles. I find them great for making my hair softer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    There's a great Argan oil shampoo and conditioner in Tesco; I don't remember the brand name but they come in brown and green bottles. I find them great for making my hair softer too.

This is true, I've bought mine for 1.49 in tesco and it's got to be one of the best I've used. I love the unique1 spray you can get in the likes of salon services flair reba ect. And coconut oil really makes my hair less tangled and damaged looking

• Registered Users Posts: 31 missfemale

Joico k pak reconstructer would be brillant for your hair mine is the very same beauty bay.com is the best priced place I have got it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I have extremely thick dry curly hair and my trick is....DON'T USE A HAIRBRUSH! I don't even use one. I just use my fingers before styling and done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

+ 1 for the tangle teaser also Moroccan oil is great for taming curly hair.Do you ever visit Scott Cornwalls Facebook page for advice? I found him to be a great help with any hair issues I've had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Brushing thick hair is a disaster. I have very thick hair which sits somewhere between wavy & curly and is prone to being dry. Several years ago, a hairdresser told me to throw away my brushes & combs and se was so right!

I NEVER EVER brush it. I don't even comb it, I just run my fingers through it and let it dry naturally. (The only time it gets brushed is when I'm having a blow dry).

Brushing won't make your hair smooth and controlled. It will actually do more damage. Instead try to use good products. I try to always use a decent shampoo (and occasional conditioner) and I'm a big fan of Argan/Moroccan type oils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

As two previous posters have said DON'T USE A HAIRBRUSH ON CURLY / WAVY HAIR - you're asking for frizz mayhem!

I have thick curly hair and haven't used a hairbrush on it in over 15 years, perhaps more. Use a silicone free conditioner to wash your hair, then put a SMALL amount of curl product in dried hair (NOT towel dried though. I use an old cotton t-shirt to wrap mine up for about 15 minutes).

Advertisement