Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview not working after storm

Options
  • 21-12-2013 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Anyone else having a problem with viewing Saorview channels after the big thunder and lightning storm this morning? I can't seem to connect to any of the saorview channels. Ariel pointing at local greystones repeater mast.

Anyone not having problems either?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

No problems with Greystones transmitter

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

Am thinking of signing up - any advice? No idea what's required or how much it might cost...

Shazerina wrote: »
    Am thinking of signing up - any advice? No idea what's required or how much it might cost...
    Signing up to Saorview? There is no sign up. Saorview is just the digital replacement of the domestic analogue channels. RTE 1/2, TV3, TG4, 3e, plus a rolling news channel and the radio channels. Requires a compatible digital tv or Saorview box and uses an aerial in the attic or outdoors on your chimney, although you just might get away with a set-top aerial depending on the signal level.

fat-tony wrote: »
    Signing up to Saorview? There is no sign up. Saorview is just the digital replacement of the domestic analogue channels. RTE 1/2, TV3, TG4, 3e, plus a rolling news channel and the radio channels. Requires a compatible digital tv or Saorview box and uses an aerial in the attic or outdoors on your chimney, although you just might get away with a set-top aerial depending on the signal level.

Tx! Wrong phrase on my part. But you've pretty much answered my query.
    I've been on the official site and read some other posts on here about it. Are there not 'foreign' channels too depending on the type of box you get? And is saorview plus now operational? Anyone local recommended to do the set up/install? And what sort or outlay should I expect to have to make? Plus the house we are in has a satellite from previous owners still on chimney. Is this useful?

If you already have SKY, then you will have the Saorview lineup (apart from the News Now channel) already. What are you doing for TV channels at the moment?

Saorview is delivered via aerial only. Strictly speaking, there is a satellite option, but it's intended for remote locations not served by the transmission network.

If you are looking for a subscription free service there are combination receivers which will use the satellite dish to receive the free-to-air channels from the Astra satellites (BBC, ITV, CH4, CH5 plus lots of others - but not SKY Sports, Movies etc.) and an aerial to receive the Saorview line-up.

I would suggest you look at this forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56 where you will get lots of advice on specific receivers.

Depending on specifically where you are located within Greystones/Kilcoole (higher up the better), you may be able to receive Freeview signals from the Arfon transmitter in Wales which would give you a range of UK channels without recourse to a dish. But dish reception is generally more reliable for the UK channels than using an aerial.

• Advertisement

If you already have SKY, then you will have the Saorview lineup (apart from the News Now channel) already. What are you doing for TV channels at the moment?

Saorview is delivered via aerial only. Strictly speaking, there is a satellite option, but it's intended for remote locations not served by the transmission network.

If you are looking for a subscription free service there are combination receivers which will use the satellite dish to receive the free-to-air channels from the Astra satellites (BBC, ITV, CH4, CH5 plus lots of others - but not SKY Sports, Movies etc.) and an aerial to receive the Saorview line-up.

I would suggest you look at this forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56 where you will get lots of advice on specific receivers.

Depending on specifically where you are located within Greystones/Kilcoole (higher up the better), you may be able to receive Freeview signals from the Arfon transmitter in Wales which would give you a range of UK channels without recourse to a dish. But dish reception is generally more reliable for the UK channels than using an aerial.

Thanks. Don't currently have TV service - just watch on iPad and/or use Apple TV. Had hoped for eircom TV once efibre broadband came but that looks like being another year away hence considering saorview.

Shazerina wrote: »
    Thanks. Don't currently have TV service - just watch on iPad and/or use Apple TV. Had hoped for eircom TV once efibre broadband came but that looks like being another year away hence considering saorview.
    Whereabouts are you located. eFibre has been deployed to some areas in Greystones already (I have Vodafone's service since November).

Whereabouts are you located. eFibre has been deployed to some areas in Greystones already (I have Vodafone's service since November).

Unfo not to all in my estate. Rathdown park. I've been following the thread on here about it. Only some houses able to get it at present. And mid 2015 has been mentioned by eircom for others. Pain in the proverbial tbh.

Advertisement