Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Retired Americans in County Donegal

Options
  • 21-12-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Husband and I in process of seriously contemplating move to County Donegal. Have been a couple times and plan on visiting for two months again in 2015. Can now afford, and have time, to retire there and spend our remaining years there. Have done research to see how feasible for us as far as monthly, annual, etc. bills would be there, the medical insurance situation, the tax issues, renting versus buying, etc. Would love to find American(s) already retired there in the County that would be willing to be on board with me as I have questions that have, and will, come up. Would like to have someone that I can converse with for the next couple years as we decide and plan. I would be very open to advice, suggestions, tips and thoughts. Anyone interested and, perhaps, just use regular email? Please do assist. I know there is a lot to consider and think about before making final decision.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

In the words of Ralph McTell, it's a long long way from there to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭supersonic64

Durnish wrote: »
    In the words of Ralph McTell, it's a long long way from there to here.
    I think you'll find that was Clare to here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anne55

This banter and humor, although brief in the replies, is part of what we loved when being there. Even though no real help finding some retired Americans to ask questions in regards to the questions we ask here in America and getting the run-a-round (e.g. pensions, taxes, freight, best ways of setting things up), we do appreciate the humor and will continue to hang in there. It truly is a long, long way from here to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Personally I dont know any retired Americans so cant assist in that regard. But what I would suggest is that you contact (by email) the Citizens Information Centre who should be in a position to answer most if not all of your queries. Have a look at their website and it will show some basic info on rights and entitlements.

More importantly I think you should contact the American Embassy in Dublin and/or an emigration office locally in America for further details.

Hope that helps a little :)

Thank you for those recommendations. I will definitely go check out the website you refer me to. I have been in contact with the Embassy in Ireland, and they have been very helpful. They helped me take care of the questions on the Ireland end of it as far as taxation, etc. Thank you for that suggestion too. Anyone, please keep the suggestions, advice, and recommendations going at this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

I might be able to help - I do know someone from the States who retired here. He came back to retire having worked locally for a few years. Can you PM me your email address?

Absolutely will PM my email address. Here's hoping! Thank you! And, Happy New Year to all you in County Donegal. I will continue to check in at this site. So much information about the county, and Ireland itself. A smorgasbord of thoughts, etc. Please do keep eye and ear out on those Americans retired in the county too.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Might be worth a look - Americans living in Ireland

http://www.internations.org/ireland-expats/americans

I do have that site in my favorites but have not pursued it 100 percent. It appears to be a paid membership so have held back for now. It does look promising though. Interesting to say the least. Thank you!

Just thinking aloud here. Every year the local Council in Donegal send both elected members of the Council (known as Councillors) and staff members to America for the St. Patricks day celebrations. Officially the trip is designed to promote Donegal from a tourism point of view and also to meet with various Irish/American business people to hopefully forge new trade links.

It might be worth a shot at writing a letter to or sending an email to a few of the Cllrs. who are resident in or represent the people in that area. I think I read previously that the Northwest of the county would be your preferred area to retire so this link will give you the contact details of the Cllrs - see the Glenties Electoral Area

There are also 2 TD's (elected reps who represent the locals at national level) and one Senator who all reside in that area. Their details are:

Dinny McGinley TD.
    Pearse Doherty TD
    Brian O'Domhnaill, Senator

• Advertisement

Thinking out loud is not always dangerous. I am listening. Absorbing though, not quite following, sorry. I would maybe email a councillor to ask them if they know of Americans that have retired there, or a group or something? I, obviously, am not in synch with your thoughts, so fill me in some more please. Not understanding here. As always, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Might be worth writing a letter to the Donegal Democrat or other Donegal media for publication. You could use a special email address for that perhaps or maybe a facebook page or blog.

Donegal news on twitter might be worth a shot

Donegal News ‏@Donegal_News 31 Dec

Do you have any issues you would like covered? Contact the Donegal News team on Tel 07491 21014 or email editor@donegalnews.com

anne55 wrote: »
    Thinking out loud is not always dangerous. I am listening. Absorbing though, not quite following, sorry. I would maybe email a councillor to ask them if they know of Americans that have retired there, or a group or something? I, obviously, am not in synch with your thoughts, so fill me in some more please. Not understanding here. As always, thank you!
    Yes, the links I posted are people I think you should make contact with :)

Advertisement