Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert. maths sample papers?

Options
  • 21-12-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi.
    Bit of a stupid question but can somebody explain to me what the "sample paper 2014" paper at the start of the exam paper booklet is? does it tell me the types of sums that will come up in my actual leaving cert. exam in june? explain this wizardry to me! I'm on about the ordinary level papers btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Basically, yes.

The official SEC sample paper is there to tell you the overall structure of the paper - how many sections, how many questions per section, the marks per question, and so on, and also to show you more or less the balance of topics on the paper(s), the depth of treatment, and the general style of question to expect.

You should NOT, however, assume that each question in the real paper will be a close mirror of the corresponding question on the sample paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

so lets say for example there is not a single question about arithmetic sequence on the sample paper does that mean there will not be a single question on arithmetic sequence in the actual leaving cert exam?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

No. It's only an example of the style of question you'll get, as well as the kind of marks going for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anything that is on the syllabus can appear on the exam paper, regardless of whether it was on an official sample paper, or was asked last year, or was never asked before.
    This applies to all subjects, not just Maths.

Advertisement