Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.308 to swift???

Options
  • 21-12-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hey guys need help....I have a .308 for deer stalking but I do more fox shooting than stalking.i got to fire my friends ruger swift and it impressed me no end how flat the round travels and how accurate it is,should I trade in or sell my .308 amd get a swift?????

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Could you not keep the .308 and use it for foxes with perhaps a different round?

The swift ammo is more expensive than most of the .308 stuff.

Is it the rifle you like? Or the round/caliber? If so then perhaps trade for a similar rifle in .308.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Can the swift be used on deer ??? Or are you giving up stalking altogether.

There is also the option of a 243. Nice round for deer and foxs.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Brian5

I've a rem 700 .308 I love it...I will always stalk deer,60 grain bullets in the swift will get ya the deer permit.....what are the 22-250 like?

Does the .243 fire flat or does it rise after 100 metres?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Well you could expect a drop with say 100 grain bullet in the 243. But the likes of a 55 grain are very flat. But I'll be straight I'm still playing with mine and different ammo maybe cass can give accurate info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Can the swift be used on deer ???

Yes it can, Has to meet all the requirements though, as in Grain Weight and Muzzle Energy.

Anyone firing the .22-250?is it as flat out to 300 as the swift or 204?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rifle-cartridges-ballistics.html

The Swift and its counterpart the .22-250 in the 50 gr bullet range would be virtually identical at 300 or less. Meanwhile the .204 with a lighter 32 gr bullet would be slightly flatter at 300. I would compare prices and terminal performance on game. You probably could not go wrong with the fairly versatile .22-250.

If you want to save a little money and barrel wear, get the .223 and it will do just fine at 300 yds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Mr Quinn's advice is the best so far.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

With 55 grain bullets (Where the overlap is), the .243 will be flatter than either the .22-250 or the Swift. Now, the difference is pretty small. 0.7" at 300 yards and 2" at 400 yards, for example, but it's there. Certainly I don't think you'd tell the difference in real life shooting. In addition, it's no more difficult to shoot. Recoil is very mild and you have the better option of 95gr+ bullets for deer as well. If you want to do a lot of fox shooting but have a deer rifle too, it's a really good bet.

• Advertisement

So .243 is the best for flat shooting aka no aimîng off up to 300?

The problem you have Brian is that there are no bad choices, only good ones and better ones, depending upon what you really desire. Any of these cartridges will shoot relatively flat to 300 yds.

The .243 is a wonderful cartridge as proven by its popularity in ROI. It provides crossover versatility, but at least in my own experience, it will not be optimal in accuracy at both ends of the light vs heavier bullet spectrum. Mine (1:10 rifling twist rate in a 26 in. barrel) likes the 80 - 100 gr bullets the best, but 70 gr and below are less accurate. In my experience, most .243s are better at this upper end, but everyone's experience is different. Different rifles with different bullet types can vary considerably.

You can get a .243 to have adequate accuracy in a range of bullets. But if you absolutely need tack driving accuracy on smaller game at longer range, you will need to ensure the rifle you purchase is up to the task for your intended bullet weight. Then it would probably still have adequate accuracy for deer sized game in a heavier bullet, for your secondary hunting purpose. Just one way to look at the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

I have both a 308 and swift and use both for deer.The swift is mainly for foxing but I bring it for deer sometimes.Npws told me the swift will more than likely not be legal for deer next year.Id advise you to go for a 243 great multi purpose round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Npws told me the swift will more than likely not be legal for deer next year.

Your now the 4th person I've heard that from in the past week, others are saying the 22-250 as well as the .220 Swifts days are numbered, so will start at .24 Cal by the sound of it if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Npws told me the swift will more than likely not be legal for deer next year .
    They are saying that how many years now. As far back as I remember.

.220 swift V-max ammunition is 34 euro a box down my way which is affordable and im guessing cheaper to feed than 308. The 60 gr Hp are 32euro a box. Swift is a flat shooter.
    Its sister the 22.250 is more or less the same but wider range of grain loads to choose from compared to the swift BUT I've yet to find any dealer that sells more than 3 different grain loads for the caliber. Its every bit as flat shooting as the .204 from what I see http://www.hornady.com/store/22-250-Rem-35-gr-NTX/ . That ammunition wont be got here in my opinion. The .17 Hornet has yet to come even. The swift and 22-250 come with 24'' barrels, they be longer with a mod on them. The 204 will buck the wind where the 220 and 250 wont as good.
    Both 22-250 and .220 don't always fire 60 grain loads accurately but both well capable of killing any Irish deer let it be reds.
    But the more appropriate caliber that has probably the widest selection of grain loads and brands to choose from at affordable prices starting from 20 euro a box is the 243. Its loads range from 55-105 grain. Personally I wouldn't go above 95 grain. Its the dual caliber thats flat shooting,accurate,versatile,mild recoil,short barreled and will humanly kill every animal that legally can take a bullet in Ireland, of coarse in the right hands. Every rifle manufacture I can think of manufactures the .243

Where can I get low grain .308 ammo???

4200fps wrote: »
    .220 swift V-max ammunition is 34 euro a box down my way which is affordable and im guessing cheaper to feed than 308. The 60 gr Hp are 32euro a box.

That's about the cheapest i've hear Swift ammo to be available at. However while it is cheaper than the very top end stuff it is not cheaper than the majority of .308 ammo which goes from €11 to €28 per box. That covers everything from the muck AE up to Federal, etc.

The majority of Swift stuff i've seen for sale goes for between €38 - €42 per box. Now whatever price it is around you or i is irrelevant as the cost where the OP would would buy is all that matters.

However if the OP already has a .308 i see no reason why it cannot serve perfectly adequate as both a foxing rifle and deer rifle as i've used the same for both for donkey's years. I don't even change ammo. Just use A-max for both. Plus in .308 any round will be legal for deer and do on foxes. While on the Swift you have a choice of two, and if one does not work well then it's the other only.

While the Swift can shoot very flat out to 300 yards the average .308 round/bullet only drops approx. 3moa or 4 max. That's between 9 - 12 inches. Not exactly a massive hold off, and something the average shooter will have little to no difficulty doing.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

any ideas where .308 in low grain can be got?

Cass wrote: »
    That's about the cheapest i've hear Swift ammo to be available at. However while it is cheaper than the very top end stuff it is not cheaper than the majority of .308 ammo which goes from €11 to €28 per box. That covers everything from the muck AE up to Federal, etc.

The majority of Swift stuff i've seen for sale goes for between €38 - €42 per box. Now whatever price it is around you or i is irrelevant as the cost where the OP would would buy is all that matters.

However if the OP already has a .308 i see no reason why it cannot serve perfectly adequate as both a foxing rifle and deer rifle as i've used the same for both for donkey's years. I don't even change ammo. Just use A-max for both. Plus in .308 any round will be legal for deer and do on foxes. While on the Swift you have a choice of two, and if one does not work well then it's the other only.

While the Swift can shoot very flat out to 300 yards the average .308 round/bullet only drops approx. 3moa or 4 max. That's between 9 - 12 inches. Not exactly a massive hold off, and something the average shooter will have little to no difficulty doing.
    I did see some dealers selling swift ammo at 42 a box but thats old stock. It came down alot the last 2 years. Is that 308 ammo full metal jacket at that price or hunting ammo? Good price. Any dealers around here look for over 40 euro a box for 308 ammo and have very limited grain loads to choose from. The only calibers I seen with the most types of grain loads,different bullet types and brands for sale over the counter is 223,243 and 270 down this part of the country Like the 22-250 so many grain loads manufactured but cant be got in Ireland as this country will always be behind times.

• Advertisement

Brian5 wrote: »
    Try James Mc Bride in Athlone or John Lambert may be only bet.

Where can I get low grain .308 ammo???
    150 gr is the about the lowest factory stuff that can be easily gotten. There is some 109 gr stuff and Sako 123 gr, but it's not too common, and the 109 stuff is classed as ""training rounds"" as they are really only suited to short ranges stuff and are FMJ.
    4200fps wrote: »
    Is that 308 ammo full metal jacket at that price or hunting ammo? Good price.
    Both. Target and hunting.

I deal pretty much exclusively with Sean Harding in Stakelums. The reason is simple. He always has a great supply of ammo, in pretty much most calibers and in a good variety of grainages. This is not intended as an advertisement, so apologies if it comes across as such. In .308 he has from 123 to 190 gr and in multiple brands. Same with .223, .243, 6.5, 30-06, .270, etc. in their respective grainages. Same with the smaller stuff like .17hmr, .22wmr, Hornett and a crap load of .22lr stuff.

I wouldn't mind a larger variety of cartridges mind you. He does a lot of Eley, FOB, etc so there is plenty of choice, but other stuff is not as common or available. I can understand that dealers will stock whatever they can sell easily. Only makes sense, but if he doesn't do something he gets it in. HE told me that some suppliers demand a large order so if it's something that is not a good seller they could end up with a lot of ammo in a caliber/grain that may takes months to sell.

Cass wrote: »
    150 gr is the about the lowest factory stuff that can be easily gotten. There is some 109 gr stuff and Sako 123 gr, but it's not too common, and the 109 stuff is classed as ""training rounds"" as they are really only suited to short ranges stuff and are FMJ.

Both. Target and hunting.

I deal pretty much exclusively with Sean Harding in Stakelums. The reason is simple. He always has a great supply of ammo, in pretty much most calibers and in a good variety of grainages. This is not intended as an advertisement, so apologies if it comes across as such. In .308 he has from 123 to 190 gr and in multiple brands. Same with .223, .243, 6.5, 30-06, .270, etc. in their respective grainages. Same with the smaller stuff like .17hmr, .22wmr, Hornett and a crap load of .22lr stuff.

I wouldn't mind a larger variety of cartridges mind you. He does a lot of Eley, FOB, etc so there is plenty of choice, but other stuff is not as common or available. I can understand that dealers will stock whatever they can sell easily. Only makes sense, but if he doesn't do something he gets it in. HE told me that some suppliers demand a large order so if it's something that is not a good seller they could end up with a lot of ammo in a caliber/grain that may takes months to sell.
    He seems to have a huge selection Cass. PM me his number, I be interested in contacting him when i'm buying ammunition again

I've sent on his number.

As said in my post it's not that he has everything, just a good selection of the available brands, grainages, etc. for most calibers.

So for what it is worth, Hornady does make 110 and 125 gr ammo in .308:

http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win

Remington still makes .30-06 with 55gr "accelerator" bullets in plastic sabots. .308 with this load used to be available but not really now:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/220009/remington-express-ammunition-30-06-springfield-accelerator-55-grain-pointed-soft-point-box-of-20

(I have no idea how accurate any of this stuff is because I have no need for bullets that light in these calibers.)

The thing is, what they make does not always make it here. So of the list of .308 stuff on Hornady's website, take about 20% or less of that and that is what we get and not always in every dealer.

As said above dealers only import the regular and easily sold stuff. It's in demand and sells quick so they keep it going. When i enquired some months ago about getting in a stock of A-max in both .308 and 30-06 i was told by a few dealers that due to the amount they were being asked to order it wasn't worth their while. Only one dealer told me he would get it in as part of his larger order.

Makes me wonder why the others could not do this. Suppose they did not want the stuff sitting on their shelves, but the funny part was if they got it in it wouldn't have lasted too long as i know a lot of people that would bu it or buy it in bulk if they knew someone was bringing it in. Plus as you all know once word spreads more people will buy it. If only to try.

You would think that if you were a regular or "reliable" customer, or the dealer knows you are a regular shooter / hunter / competitor, and perhaps there are more like you, then I can't imagine if you ask for it, why they couldn't take in some special requests along with the regular order knowing the stuff will be sold. Seemingly it would be low risk. Whatever, I'm not in business, they are.

Also, supposedly Midway has a connection to sell in ROI, but apparently it never got off the ground yet. I have not been able to track that down. Even if they did not sure ammunition would be part of the deal.

Advertisement