Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out of college now and fees.

Options
  • 21-12-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey everyone, :)

I've decided my current course just isn't for me and I'm looking to switch to another course in a different college next September. I've been trying to find the information regarding fees/grants if I do decide to drop out and the information is pretty hazy.

From what I can gather, if I was to drop out before the end of January I would get half of my fees back?

Also, how does this effect my application for the fees grant next year. Would they refuse to award me it again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

jd1594 wrote: »

I've decided my current course just isn't for me and I'm looking to switch to another course in a different college next September. I've been trying to find the information regarding fees/grants if I do decide to drop out and the information is pretty hazy.

From what I can gather, if I was to drop out before the end of January I would get half of my fees back?

Also, how does this effect my application for the fees grant next year. Would they refuse to award me it again?

Since you haven't really got a response I'll throw my thoughts out there.

Regards getting your fees back I think it differs from college to college! Contact your college! If they say you're too late to get any fees back it might be worth trying Semester 2 just to make sure of your decision as there's nothing to lose (except time).

I dont think your fees grant application for next year will be affected. Many people don't like their course and drop out to try something new.

A simple call to your college and they should answer all your questions and more, and probably will have advice for you to consider :)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

lorrieq wrote: »

Regards getting your fees back I think it differs from college to college! Contact your college! If they say you're too late to get any fees back it might be worth trying Semester 2 just to make sure of your decision as there's nothing to lose (except time).

I dont think your fees grant application for next year will be affected. Many people don't like their course and drop out to try something new.

A simple call to your college and they should answer all your questions and more, and probably will have advice for you to consider :)

Good luck

Regarding the grant maybe SUSI can answer

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1610

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

If you do decide to leave make sure to de register properly, I left in Jan but didn't de register properly til the end of the year and now whenever I start college again it will be full fees for the first year! So annoying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

lorrieq wrote: »

Good luck

I'm not sure how much of the above is correct. I'll base the below on my experience of deferring last year.

Did you pay full fees for your course or only the €2,500 student contribution (if you're getting the grant, it covers that contribution)? If only the contribution then I don't believe that you can get any of that back. You will have to pay half fees if you go back to college next year as you have already completed one semester.

Your grant may be affected next year. They won't cover the half fees that you'll have to pay and you may not get any payment for that part of the year. I'm not sure how it'll work for semester two. You may not be able to receive a grant at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 milopolice

jd1594 wrote: »

Hi,
    I was/am also considering dropping out so I went to the Academic Advisory office (I am in 1st year in NUIM) and they sent me of this email. I'm not sure how much this will apply to you as colleges will vary but I hope it helps you a little bit

''Option 1: You can stay registered and complete the year and if you decide to return to 1st Arts next year then you will be liable for the full fees for the course you are doing. You may be able to get exemptions based on what you have studied this year. The fees for each course are set in June / July and range from just under €6,000 up to €7,500 approx.

Option 2: Complete your exams and then defer your second semester before the 31st January and return in September picking a new subject and continuing with 2 of the three you are doing now assuming you have passed your semester on exams, this would also involve fees which would be approximately €1,200 in the first semester and €1,375 in the second semester. If you defer your second semester you will not have to pay the fees for that semester when they fall due in late January / early February.

Option 3: Complete your exams, defer your second semester and then return to take up three new subjects next year and the fees for that would be approx €4,500 for the full year next year''

Again, sorry if this is completely useless to you but I thought it's worth a shot, You may find something useful in it, I reckon the first option is the same for all colleges/uniersities

• Advertisement
Advertisement