Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Computer Science conversion

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I heard its hard for graduates of this program to get Software Engineering roles, with LinkedIn seeming to also suggest this.
    Is it possible for high-performing graduates to get full-blown engineering roles (e.g. for SaaS)?

I'm still undecided between whether to do this or a bootcamp in the US...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

I think it really depends on what your background is. I have an engineering degree and I hope that along with this course will get me a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 amcdonagh

Hi there,

Wondering if someone can help me - I am also considering this course.
    I have just completed the BComm degree in UCD and have worked part time for a software company throughout the last year. I have recently joined them on a full time basis in a sales role but want to improve my tech knowledge in order to progress within my career.
    Would this course be suitable in facilitating this? Or is this course more applicable to those wishing to do software development etc?

Any feedback or help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks a mil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

amcdonagh wrote: »
    Hi there,

Wondering if someone can help me - I am also considering this course.
    I have just completed the BComm degree in UCD and have worked part time for a software company throughout the last year. I have recently joined them on a full time basis in a sales role but want to improve my tech knowledge in order to progress within my career.
    Would this course be suitable in facilitating this? Or is this course more applicable to those wishing to do software development etc?

Any feedback or help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks a mil

I did the Springboard Hdip Course which mirrors the masters for the first year so I'll give you my experience which may be of some help.

Prior to the course I had pretty much zero coding knowledge but would've been comfortable enough around technology. Did Humanities in College and was working for a good few years after this. Semester One involved Python as the sole programming language to learn the fundamentals of programming and then more theoretical modules in Operating Systems, Comp Architecture and Networks. Also did a Databases module using mySql and theory. A mix of practicals and assignments with a few exams at the end.

Semester 2 was a huge increase in difficulty and workload. We did Java, Data Analytics (using Python), Data Structures, Web Development and Software Engineering. The Software Engineering module would be probably the closest equivalent to the 3rd year project IT undergrads do as it involved a 3 person project. There was a big leap in workload between semester 1 and 2 but the content you are learning is more practical to getting a job after.

After that semester finishes the majority of the class are proceeding to the masters and do a summer research project and then join in with the masters student to do one semester of modules from the negotiated learning masters. The HEA fund fees entirely up until the HDip stage and you pay after that (think it's about 3k).

If you only want to do the HDip you must secure a placement of 12 weeks for the summer or find a job that uses the skills of the course. This is the route I went down as my main motivation of doing the course was finding a job. A few people earlier mentioned finding work was difficult. I'd say I applied for 40+ different grad posts and entry level roles. It's tough as you're competing with undergrads with a few years more education but I recommend you highlight your other non-IT skills from previous employment. I think though that you have to expect a lot of rejection by HR as your cvs are easy to filter due to lack of technical experience. In the end I got about 4 face to face interviews and 2 job offers, one of which was a software development role. Overall I would recommend the course but you have to really put the work in if you're coming from limited technical experience. UCD will push the masters and perhaps if you're straight out of undergrad without working that might be a good call. Hope that helps you or others thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 amcdonagh

Many thanks for your reply - sorry I'm only getting back to you now! I've been away for the past few days.

Thanks for all the information - it's hugely beneficial. I'm not sure the springboard course is applicable to me as I just started a full time role with a software company. But I'll look further into it as it seems to be a great way of completing the course.

I have some technical knowledge and prior learning but it's limited - hence why I'm thinking of taking the course. I'm working in sales at the moment but want to ensure I'm able to answer any question that is thrown at me during a meeting and I feel I'm limited with my current knowledge base so looking to improve on that! I want to be sure this course is right for me before undertaking it as it's quite a costly investment.

Thanks again for all your help!

I did the Springboard Hdip Course which mirrors the masters for the first year so I'll give you my experience which may be of some help.

Prior to the course I had pretty much zero coding knowledge but would've been comfortable enough around technology. Did Humanities in College and was working for a good few years after this. Semester One involved Python as the sole programming language to learn the fundamentals of programming and then more theoretical modules in Operating Systems, Comp Architecture and Networks. Also did a Databases module using mySql and theory. A mix of practicals and assignments with a few exams at the end.

Semester 2 was a huge increase in difficulty and workload. We did Java, Data Analytics (using Python), Data Structures, Web Development and Software Engineering. The Software Engineering module would be probably the closest equivalent to the 3rd year project IT undergrads do as it involved a 3 person project. There was a big leap in workload between semester 1 and 2 but the content you are learning is more practical to getting a job after.

After that semester finishes the majority of the class are proceeding to the masters and do a summer research project and then join in with the masters student to do one semester of modules from the negotiated learning masters. The HEA fund fees entirely up until the HDip stage and you pay after that (think it's about 3k).

If you only want to do the HDip you must secure a placement of 12 weeks for the summer or find a job that uses the skills of the course. This is the route I went down as my main motivation of doing the course was finding a job. A few people earlier mentioned finding work was difficult. I'd say I applied for 40+ different grad posts and entry level roles. It's tough as you're competing with undergrads with a few years more education but I recommend you highlight your other non-IT skills from previous employment. I think though that you have to expect a lot of rejection by HR as your cvs are easy to filter due to lack of technical experience. In the end I got about 4 face to face interviews and 2 job offers, one of which was a software development role. Overall I would recommend the course but you have to really put the work in if you're coming from limited technical experience. UCD will push the masters and perhaps if you're straight out of undergrad without working that might be a good call. Hope that helps you or others thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Panline

Hey there,

Glad to hear you got a job. Best of luck in your new role. I wish ou well.

(former classmate) Pauline

Advertisement