Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Sheamus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Sheamus isn't clicking as a top guy. Not even close. No way he cashes in successfully. Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I dunno I think a sheamus cash in to become the authority's new champion could work. But should of probaly of been done at Night of champions. Has he even been in a feud since his return besides Orton ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I could absolutely see Sheamus getting the belt, but rather than it being for something even remotely aspirational like hoping that it might boost ratings, it'd be purely so they have something new to fill up television time.

[Also, Pentecost's comment up above made me laugh a ridiculous amount, so thanks for that! :)]

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think this hatred for him is going to translate well into people wanting to see him get beaten.

Its not really hatred where people would pay to see his downfall , its apathy which makes people switch off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

The problem with Sheamus joining the authority is that, well, he doesn't fit the corporate image. Rollins may be a grease ball but he's a good looking, young, American dude. You can buy the Authority investing in him.

Thus, I agree that it was a mistake to give Sheamus the briefcase. I do think it's more suited to a heel carrying it though, so they were right not to put it on Reigns (and I even think the whole finish helped Reigns gain support in the long run).

It would have been interesting if Wyatt was in the match and won it. The authority had their heel in Rollins but you could totally buy Wyatt as the wildcard heel that they genuinely feared. There's an aesthetic problem there of Wyatt carrying a briefcase but I would just have him take the contract out and put it in his back pocket, throwing the briefcase away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

ricero wrote: »
    I dunno I think a sheamus cash in to become the authority's new champion could work. But should of probaly of been done at Night of champions. Has he even been in a feud since his return besides Orton ?

Kiss me a**e match with Dolph :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Sheamus has go away heat. I fast forward when he comes on. He's a good worker but as a character he's the s**ts. He is a black hole of charisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Kiss me a**e match with Dolph :(

:mad::mad::mad: The booking equivalent of WWE ****ing in your coffee. Mega-heat. Turned the PPV off, came back an hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

DM_7 wrote: »
    Its not really hatred where people would pay to see his downfall , its apathy which makes people switch off.
    If people hate Sheamus that much, when he has the championship they'll be more receptive to Roman Reigns if/when he takes it. There'd still be a risk they could turn on Reigns if he defeated Seth Rollins I think. Sheamus will be a transitional.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Moved a good few posts from the OT thread to this one :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

With Sheamus it's more booking than the performer. He could be used a lot better. Until he is used better and people have a reason to be drawn to him then he is of little help to getting anyone or himself over.

It's an issue that runs right through the roster from Neville to Barrett or Cesaro to Ziggler. Even guys that get themselves over at different times have their momentum killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

DM_7 wrote: »
    With Sheamus it's more booking than the performer. He could be used a lot better. Until he is used better and people have a reason to be drawn to him then he is of little help to getting anyone or himself over.

It's an issue that runs right through the roster from Neville to Barrett or Cesaro to Ziggler. Even guys that get themselves over at different times have their momentum killed.

I would disagree. Sheamus lacks main event level charisma. He's a perfectly acceptable upper-mid card guy but holding the title? Hell no.

I don't know. I thought he was pretty good in 2012 as World Heavyweight Champion personally.

His work was good. Had good matches with Show & Del Rio. He didn't connect with the people at all though. Not even close to the level of his push.

Dave Meltzer told a story in the Observer recently. When Sheamus was getting the mega push, they created thousands and thousands of Sheamus dolls, similar to the volume they'd create Randy Orton ones, thinking they'd need the extra product when he got over with the people.

3 years later, they are still sitting in a warehouse unsold.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

If people hate Sheamus that much, when he has the championship they'll be more receptive to Roman Reigns if/when he takes it. There'd still be a risk they could turn on Reigns if he defeated Seth Rollins I think. Sheamus will be a transitional.

Or they will slap their hand to their head and say "fcuk this ****" and tune off. I think hes a solid worker, but he cant conmect with the audience to save his life.

Will you tune off if he becomes champion? I know I won't be. I don't think too many people here will either. It doesn't really matter to me how well someone connects with audiences.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I like Sheamus well enough, so I'd still watch if/when he becomes champ.

I don't really care how many people tune out because I know I probably never will stop watching.

Will you tune off if he becomes champion? I know I won't be. I don't think too many people here will either. It doesn't really matter to me how well someone connects with audiences.

I think you're missing the point a few of us are making.

The chances are WWE could put the belt on Braun Strowman and people on here wouldn't stop watching. But it's about appealing to the masses, not the few thousand who are hardcore enough to be posting on message boards.

Considering how low the ratings are with a champion who at least somewhat resonates with the people, putting the belt on someone who provokes such utter indifference from audiences as Sheamus doesn't strike me as a good idea. At all.

Yeah but do you have shares in WWE? I genuinely don't see why any of us really give a crap about what they should and shouldn't be doing to improve their case financially. As many people as have been going to the house shows will continue to go. The champion doesn't really draw the money the way Bruno Sammartino or Hulk Hogan used to. WWE is an overall picture and brand that people buy into nowadays. They don't tune out due to champions.

• Advertisement

It should, you’re the audience and right now he is struggling to connect which is a huge problem for him if hes to be a future champ.

Firstly I want to see Sheamus succeed, I’d love to see him at the top of the mountain and do well, but while hes a good worker and with the right opponent he can be in at least a 31/2 star to maybe 4 star match. But hes boring and very 1 dimensional as a heel. His delivery is very wooden and always seems that while he has confidence in himself on the mic he lacks the tools to engage with the audience and make us care. Its not all his fault, he has been a victim of poor booking too (but hes not alone there). Fact is he hasn’t progressed much as a vocal performer in the last few years and at this stage he does as much for me as Jack Swagger. (a man who is very similar to Sheamus just on the lower end of the card these days). I couldn’t care less about him from a character perspective. Like its been said before here, he currently has X-Pac heat, which is change the channel/go-away heat.

If Sheamus was to become champion in his current form I may watch at first but theres a huge possibility I'd tune out or at least fast forward his segments eventually unless otherwise informed of something noteworthy. which shouldnt be the case for someone at the top of the card.

If Sheamus was booked in big long winded opening segments if he was to become champion (which Seth Rollins tends to do most weeks) it would be a hard watch most weeks.

I'm not getting into another Stardust debate here man. I'm just saying it doesn't matter to me because I enjoy watching him. What's the problem with that? I don't think anyone can tell me what does and doesn't connect with me personally.

I don't really care how many people tune out because I know I probably never will stop watching.

And even though you may not stop watching, something I can relate to, you may not enjoy what you are watching if Sheamus ever cashes in.

In my opinion, we would be watching a piss poor product if the current Sheamus was made the focalpoint. (Not that the product is that great anyway right now,but it would be worse IMO)

I'm not getting into another Stardust debate here man. I'm just saying it doesn't matter to me because I enjoy watching him. What's the problem with that? I don't think anyone can tell me what does and doesn't connect with me personally.

Im just saying Id find it hard for Sheamus to connect with anyone in his current form.

Each to their own but Id imagine you are in the minority.

Well that's one of the reasons WWE just continues the way they are going I think. They know they have an audience that will always watch. So I focus on the things that I enjoy and I try to look forward to certain things. I don't get worried about what should be done.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Im just saying Id find it hard for Sheamus to connect with anyone in his current form.

Each to their own but Id imagine you are in the minority.
    Okay, so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Either way, he's miles and years ahead of the darling Finn Balór.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Considering they're still putting Big Show and Kane in the main event on a regular basis, I'm sure having Sheamus up there wouldn't make too much difference either way.

Okay, so what?

Seriously dude, you need to chill out. Its a discussion site, we are discussing a topic and have conflicting opinions, posts like that are counter productive.

• Advertisement

Either way, he's miles and years ahead of the darling Finn Balór.

While I do agree to a degree, I feel they are two different cases.

Finn has a great presence yet he lacks confidence on the mic and doesn't seem natural at all. It may come in time, but so far its a shred move keeping him on NXT in hope that he can progress these skills hes lacking.

Sheamus oozes confidence, yet his delivery comes across more panto-like than natural and seems forced to an extent.

Advertisement