Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Sheamus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Finn hasn't improved on the mic one iota which is worrying. His interview with Joe after the last Takeover was as stilted as ever.

A shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Finn hasn't improved on the mic one iota which is worrying. His interview with Joe after the last Takeover was as stilted as ever.

A shame.

Hes like a poor mans John Cena on the mic, he doesn't seem comfortable at all. He is a more natural heel IMO, but whether he would be better on the mic as a bad guy remains to be seen.

Its a crying shame as he can work a great match as a heel or face in-ring wise and hes got a great presence about him.

Sheamus on the other hand seems very sure of himself and much more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Sheamus is one of the top 3/4 heels at the moment for drawing a reaction from the crowd. Aside from the usual briefcase holder booking, he's in flying form.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Finn had great fun talking smack in Japan.

Look at how well Kofi talks now he is enjoying what he is doing.

It's important for all performers to feel they are working to their strengths. In wrestlers is seems to suit them more if their persona has traits they have (Turned Up). In a gimmick world they have to find something that comes across as genuine and forces you to suspend belief.

Sheamus has not looked comfortable since going heel again. A tough hitting hoss does suit him but they brought him back with a new haircut and beard as if that would be enough to make him more interesting on its own.

Sheamus needs to come across more genuine.

Sheamus is one of the top 3/4 heels at the moment for drawing a reaction from the crowd. Aside from the usual briefcase holder booking, he's in flying form.

Hes certainly been positioned well within WWE. Hes one of the top 4 heels but its just not clicking for me.

Remember hes been a MITB winner, KOTR, Royal Rumble winner and a multi time champ..... Yet he doesn't come across as a must see performer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Yeah but do you have shares in WWE? I genuinely don't see why any of us really give a crap about what they should and shouldn't be doing to improve their case financially. As many people as have been going to the house shows will continue to go. The champion doesn't really draw the money the way Bruno Sammartino or Hulk Hogan used to. WWE is an overall picture and brand that people buy into nowadays. They don't tune out due to champions.

Ever heard the phrase "A rising tide lifts all boats"? You put what's hot on top and everything & everyone benefits. The most fondly remembered periods in wrestling history are when the hot act was on top - WWF with Hogan in the 80's, then Rock and Austin in 98 & 99, WCW with Hogan in 96 & 97. Flair in the mid 80's with Crockett. The champion isn't the sole draw in 2015 but can still have an impact. The shows Cena headlines do better than the shows anyone else headlines.

Granted, if they put the title on Sheamus, you and his immediate family will be over the moon, but the rest of the world will watch on in apathy. People at Raw sitting on their hands in silence during the main event while the big ginger yells "FELLERUIHWUIUI". :D:D:D

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Hes certainly been positioned well within WWE. Hes one of the top 4 heels but its just not clicking for me.

Remember hes been a MITB winner, KOTR, Royal Rumble winner and a multi time champ..... Yet he doesn't come across as a must see performer.

You can say the same about Randy Orton, Del Rio and a few more. I'd rather see Sheamus than Cena. Each to their own I spose.

It takes a special kind of talent to have the marks and smarks boo you. Fair play Sheamus. Trail-blazer for the up and coming Irish contingent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

You can say the same about Randy Orton, Del Rio and a few more. I'd rather see Sheamus than Cena. Each to their own I spose.

It takes a special kind of talent to have the marks and smarks boo you. Fair play Sheamus. Trail-blazer for the up and coming Irish contingent.

It's not really difficult to be booed. It takes a special talent to make people want to see you get even when they are rooting against you. The problem with Sheamus, as people are discussing, is that not enough people want to see him at all.

If there's an idea that Sheamus has this great heat, it's magnificently rose tinted. He has apathy. No one gives a f*ck about him. I don't want to see him beat up, I just don't want to see him. He's X-Pac in 2015, a one dimensional performer, a one note joke, an act that had a shelf life which has long since expired. He's a carton of milk that went off on 31/12/2010 but is still out there being flogged while he's long since curdled. The desire to see him in a positive light, presumably because he's Irish, is patriotic and endearing but it clashes with reality unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Jesus Monokne tell us what you really think!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I just groan when he comes on at this stage id rather watch the big show and kane in the main event then him which is saying a lot.

sky88 wrote: »
    I just groan when he comes on at this stage id rather watch the big show and kane in the main event then him which is saying a lot.

Id rather hear Big Show cut a promo (hes capable of cutting some fine ones) than Sheamus, but I can easily watch a Sheamus match over a Big Show one. The had a fine match about 2 years ago which they both got the best out of each other.

I would have said the same about Kane but his feud with Seth is, while far from perfect, is more entertaining than it has any right to be.

I cant remember the last feud Sheamus had that was truly worth watching from a storyline POV

• Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think he's been watching the Dead Parrot sketch

You're right, I've sugarcoated it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Monokne wrote: »
    If there's an idea that Sheamus has this great heat, it's magnificently rose tinted. He has apathy. No one gives a f*ck about him. I don't want to see him beat up, I just don't want to see him. He's X-Pac in 2015, a one dimensional performer, a one note joke, an act that had a shelf life which has long since expired. He's a carton of milk that went off on 31/12/2010 but is still out there being flogged while he's long since .The desire to see him in a positive light, presumably because he's Irish, is patriotic and endearing but it clashes with reality unfortunately.

Reminds when people used to call him "Walking Milkbottle" or "The Human Jar of Mayonaise" on other forums.

I cant remember the last feud Sheamus had that was truly worth watching from a storyline POV

I think the same about Orton, Ziggler, Reigns, Wyatt, Cesaro, Finn Balór, Kevin Owens, Ryback, to name but a few.

I think the same about Orton, Ziggler, Reigns, Wyatt, Cesaro, Finn Balór, Kevin Owens, Ryback, to name but a few.

Owens v Cena was great until they ran into into the ground too quick and didn't put the strap on Owens, Owens and Balor, while short was good, Ceasro and Owens wasn't bad, but you're right. Its an all too familiar situation within the WWE mid card, its just that I'd watch .....lets say a Cesaro, Owens, Balor, than Sheamus. Due mainly to his staleness.

That being said, Ziggler is grating these days, Wyatt is a heat killer with no real character progression and Orton is an after thought for me these days.

WWE mid card is talented but greatly under utilised

Maybe it is an "Irish" thing, but I've been to the last few WWE shows in London every April and it was only this year that I really took note of Sheamus. The distinct look, the improved entrance with blackout treatment, the more physical moveset. I just think he's improved massively since his return from injury.

Maybe it is an "Irish" thing, but I've been to the last few WWE shows in London every April and it was only this year that I really took note of Sheamus. The distinct look, the improved entrance with blackout treatment, the more physical moveset. I just think he's improved massively since his return from injury.

I approve of the new look and the new entrance music, very welcome changes while turning heel but he needed more work from a character and a vocal stand point.

Sheamus can go in the ring and IMO he can work in-ring wise as either a face or a heel and put on a solid match

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Alright lads, go easy. Wasn't trying to be eh, counter productive as it was claimed. Sorry if I got anyone's goat there. Just been made feel a bit lesser than in the past for saying I like things other people don't. Maybe I'm still a bit defensive due to previous experiences on here that way. Anyway, didn't mean to annoy anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Does anyone think WWE waited too long for the heel turn? I know injury, CM Punk leaving, Randy Orton begging to turn and other things got in the way. I remember they tried after Sheamus won the US title from Ambrose but it didn't go over with the crowd so they waited again. Sometimes a wrestler can be a victim of these circumstances.

I don't remember what happened after he won the United States Championship? The Shield were still technically heels at that point though but were getting a lot of cheers if I'm remembering correctly. I seem to recall people calling for a heel turn for quite a while anyway.

Alright lads, go easy. Wasn't trying to be eh, counter productive as it was claimed. Sorry if I got anyone's goat there. Just been made feel a bit lesser than in the past for saying I like things other people don't. Maybe I'm still a bit defensive due to previous experiences on here that way. Anyway, didn't mean to annoy anyone.

No worries, no need to be so defensive or sensitive buddy. Just chill and remember were are all friends here, with a common interest of Pro Wrestling. Its the differences of opinions that makes the discussion flow and thus a better place.

I'll never say your opinion is wrong, but I may disagree with it :)

I don't remember what happened after he won the United States Championship? The Shield were still technically heels at that point though but were getting a lot of cheers if I'm remembering correctly. I seem to recall people calling for a heel turn for quite a while anyway.

They were faces at this point, iirc the Battle Royal was a punishment for Ambrose during the Evoultion feud.

Theree were plenty of rumors of a Sheamo heel turn back then but they ended up being just rumors

Oh see I thought that Ruu was saying something was hinted at on screen about him turning. Apologies once again, I can be a bit sensitive due to being questioned heavily previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

It's an interesting discussion; Sheamus was arguably the stalest face in WWE before he got injured with many fans clamouring for him to turn. So he comes back with new hair & a funny looking beard which gets him decent heat initially. But has he actually changed in any significant way? Not in my opinion anyway.

As a face he was strong & aggressive in the ring and his promos were OTT "oirish" shtick about liking to kick people in the face with a few bad jokes scattered about. As a heel he is strong & aggressive in the ring and his promos are OTT "oirish" shtick about liking to kick people in the face with a few bad jokes scattered about. The only difference now is that instead of kicking bad guys in the face he's kicking good guys in the face. I think he's still incredibly stale despite the turn and this needs to change if he's to become the World Champion. That brings me back to a previous discussion where I thought the idea of him being Triple H's new 'face' could work.

*though with ratings in the toilet I don't think WWE will take the risk of putting the belt on Sheamus any time soon unless there's a bigger feud to fall back on involving someone like Lesnar.
    Imagine him in a suit with the mohawk & braided beard standing beside HHH & Stephanie as he holds the belt above a fallen foe. I think he'd get a lot of heat, and not necessarily go away heat like Big Show since Sheamus can back it up in the ring.

If he's the champion with his current character it'll flop imo, if he becomes Triple H's new guy I think it could be very good as all of the 'smart fans' think of him as a HHH guy anyway.

It's an interesting discussion; Sheamus was arguably the stalest face in WWE before he got injured with many fans clamouring for him to turn. So he comes back with new hair & a funny looking beard which gets him decent heat initially. But has he actually changed in any significant way? Not in my opinion anyway.

As a face he was strong & aggressive in the ring and his promos were OTT "oirish" shtick about liking to kick people in the face with a few bad jokes scattered about. As a heel he is strong & aggressive in the ring and his promos are OTT "oirish" shtick about liking to kick people in the face with a few bad jokes scattered about. The only difference now is that instead of kicking bad guys in the face he's kicking good guys in the face. I think he's still incredibly stale despite the turn and this needs to change if he's to become the World Champion. That brings me back to a previous discussion where I thought the idea of him being Triple H's new 'face' could work.

*though with ratings in the toilet I don't think WWE will take the risk of putting the belt on Sheamus any time soon unless there's a bigger feud to fall back on involving someone like Lesnar.

With Cena gone for six weeks to filmhis new Fox show, their may be scope for something like this to happen. Though I really have no idea what direction WWE is going in besides Seth v Hunter sometime in the future.

That old "what and see" attitude I guess. Sheamus has done nothing of real note since winning the MITB match, which is a shame. The lack of real focus on the mid card is shockingly worrying and has been for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Though I really have no idea what direction WWE is going in besides Seth v Hunter sometime in the future.

I haven't seen a Sheamus v Orton match for a while;)

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I haven't seen a Sheamus v Orton match for a while;)

Define a while.

I know Ive been fairly negative towards Sheamo in this thread, and its not because Im a begrugger or constantly negative about everything, hes just not entertain me personally.

Id love to see him or any Irish guy or girl succeed and be a top guy.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to single out anyone here, but wrestling fans by and large always seem to be complaining about who's on top. Seth Rollins - isn't booked dominantly. Brock Lesnar - part - timer who shouldn't have had the championship. John Cena - why does this guy have the title again? Daniel Bryan - they should have given it to him over a year ago. Thoughts?

Advertisement