Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Sheamus?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That push should also be viewed within the context of what else was going on, what they had him doing and how important what he was doing was going to be viewed by fans.

His Rumble win came in a year where they went with someone for the B World Title match to win it. The title run took place on the B show or down the card. He wasn't headlining the big PPVs or RAW during that time. Even when Cena, then Punk were hurt impacting on PPV plans they didn't put Sheamus into a prime spot as his run was not treated as important. John Laurinaitis headlined more ppvs than Sheamus.

The feud with Del Rio included a dodgy finish at Summerslam when Brock was main eventing, the type of day he needed to look impressive not lucky.

His other feud was with Big Show, another reason fans were not too interested or invested in what was going on.

He was booked strongly but nothing they came up with was particularly interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

btw debut = 2002, Batista amazing heel turn douche persona = 2009 ie 7 years to come into his own.

Man, that Evolution breakup storyline is one of the greatest pro-wrestling storylines in history. Batista lived off that for his entire career, apart from his "I've stopped caring" amazing heel turn. Can you name any decent batista promos outside his last few months? Dude always just reacted to what other people did (the easy part), and was hidden from the firing squad as Cena was always the top babyface. I don't want to sidetrack into Batista though, it's a comparison.

Who says "the Roman Reigns push" is booking Sheamus right though? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

I enjoyed heel Dave as much as the next guy, but when you said he "clicked" I thought you meant with the people. If the barometer is what we personally found entertaining then it's a different conversation. I was talking about what meant business with the masses.

Bryan, Ziggler & Punk were booked appreciably worse than Sheamus in their early title runs but they still got more momentum off them and have more audience interest because once they were in a featured spot on TV, the consistent TV time allowed them to connect with the public, whether that be through great work, good delivery on the mic or just their mannierisms. What does Sheamus do with all his added TV time? 10 beats of the badhran?

The mark of a good performer is before they get the shove, they organically get more over than their push. Ambrose right now, Ziggler, Bryan, Punk, Guerrero, Mysterio, Hardy in the last decade - hell go back two decades and Bret Hart & Shawn Michaels were the examples in the 90's.

Ginge has been a heel world champ, a babyface champ well protected, the king of the ring, a mid card baby and now a mid card heel and he has ALWAYS been less over than the push he had, to this present day. If you really can't see that then you can't see the wood for the trees. Look, if I had the book AJ Styles would be my world champion babyface like he was in TNA in late 2009. But I'm not naive enough to think that just because he appeals to me he's going to appeal to the masses, and I certainly wouldn't be if I had a half decade of proof that he doesn't.

You're making cogent points but I'm saying his scripted promos and gimmick has always been awful, and still is (even if it's the least annoying it's ever been, it's still plenty bad), and there's a massive difference between booking him strong and booking him right. Pushing the Irish-jigging John Cena too hard will incite hatred/apathy in the crowd. Batista's character is cool. Sheamus' character is embarrassing. I'm not saying he's amazing (unlike say Bryan, Punk, Guerrero or Ambrose), I'm saying he's better than the awful confines he must perform in.

I suppose with better booking the people would react with mild indifference rather than complete apathy, I'll give you that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

He is a hell of al of better than some people on here think. Wwe think quite highly of him. He's literally won everything and fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,716 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry if already posted but Sheamus is on Angela Scanlon's Close Encounters next Tuesday 20th on RTE 2 at 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Monokne wrote: »
    I suppose with better booking the people would react with mild indifference rather than complete apathy, I'll give you that.

Judging from the tone of your posts here I can only presume you feel the guy has wronged you in some way. To be honest, if he hasn't, it's a bit weird that you're so vehemently and aggressively anti-Sheamus.

Judging from the tone of your posts here I can only presume you feel the guy has wronged you in some way. To be honest, if he hasn't, it's a bit weird that you're so vehemently and aggressively anti-Sheamus.

Would appreciate if you didn't refer to me as weird or aggressive, thanks bro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Monokne wrote: »
    Would appreciate if you didn't refer to me as weird or aggressive, thanks bro :)

I didn't say that YOU were weird. You're probably not. Just that your aggressive posting on this thread was. I stand by that. Bro.

• Advertisement

I'd appreciate if you didn't comment on the tone of my posts at all, thanks.

Guys, odd question. Can you name any WWE event where Sheamus had a really beetroot chest? Dude's pale skin is perfect for showing up a nasty red chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Guys, odd question. Can you name any WWE event where Sheamus had a really beetroot chest? Dude's pale skin is perfect for showing up a nasty red chest.

Jaysis Jay Im sure theres websites out there for that kinda thing :pac: to answer though Id check back through his World Title series with Big Show. I could be wrong but I think there was a match where Show did a few of those open hand chops to Sheamos chest

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, his feud with Big Show seems like the most likely period for that to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Or unless his "fight" with Kofi in FCW was filmed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Any match with Mark Henry I seem to recall, lots of red lumps on his back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

There was a time when Del Rio whipped the sh*t out of him with a strap/belt, not sure if it was a match though. It was mostly his back too but it was the first that came to mind

EDIT: It was a kendo stick

Grand I found the stuff with show. Pasty skin has its upsides!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I see Sheamus has an interesting opponent for the opening match of the European tour. I wonder if revenge is on the way for the previous brog kick :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭briany

I see Orton is out with a dislocated shoulder, which is a pity for Orton and we all hope he recovers soon, but also a great opportunity to put Sheamus in a lasting feud that isn't a total snooze fest. To be honest, I don't understand why the WWE didn't continue with Sheamus's bully thing since he came back from injury, but then this is WWE we're talking about where things that make money are too often scorned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Heads up that tonight on RTE 2 is the programme in which Angela Scanlon meets Sheamus. It starts at 10 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Seamus starting off in "Whip Wrestling".
    Sure he did...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Hahah, "Sheamus and Randy Orton fight each other almost every single week. Sometimes Sheamus wins... sometimes it's Randy's turn"

RTE fairly on the ball with that one. bahahaa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Gotta say I enjoyed that. Nothing major to it a bit of fluff he came across well enough good to see your one looked to get into the match and that's always a good sign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 The Myth Of Sisyphus

Really fun watch that was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

It was kind of like WWE 24 episode on Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Angela Scanlon was so annoying though, while Sheamus came off great and very likeable, she made it unwatchable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Evil Corp

Well if annoying means incredibly hot,.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Angela Scanlon was so annoying though, while Sheamus came off great and very likeable, she made it unwatchable.

Came across a bit grating the fixation on money bugged me. But it showed that she really got into the live show which is a good sell of wrestling

• Advertisement

Nadgers. Is this repeated?

Advertisement