Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Sheamus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

beakerjoe wrote: »
    The problem with Sheamus is hes just a stale character right now. Hes a tremendous worker, but hes just a dogs body with little or no reason to care for his character. Hes simply not over anymore, but with some tweets and a decent well booked feud, he can be back in no time.

Absolutely. Most fans can't see he's actually a very good brawler, can't look past the awful gimmick and presentation. The way to fix Sheamus? Tell a writer to write a promo for Triple H, and then give it to Sheamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭briany

I was of the understanding that Sheamus is a profitable worker for WWE. He sells action figures, has a unique look and is a solid hand in the ring. I don't see him going anywhere soon. And it's funny that people keep predicting his fall from relevance when he's been working at a high level in WWE for the last 7 years and the IWC has called him stale for 5 or 6 of that. No guarantee that Bálor will make a big impact on the main show. There's simply no guarantee for anyone, in that regard, but I see no reason why one would necessarily push out the other anyway. They're very different in look, style and attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

J. Marston wrote: »
    They'll be called The Foightin' Oirish and their entrance music will be Shipping up to Boston. One of them will have an alcoholic gimmick.

This is happening.

One of them? They will all be drinking Guinness constantly, even during matches. Downing a pint will become Sheamus' superpower ala Popeye and his spinach. Kevin Dunn and Vinces dream Irish stable looks like this

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

briany wrote: »
    I was of the understanding that Sheamus is a profitable worker for WWE. He sells action figures

There was a note in the Observer last year specifically noting they still had massive inventory of Sheamus action figures because in 2012 when he was getting the megapush and they were protecting him in the booking, they made as many of him as the other top guys like Orton, Cena, Bryan, Punk, but his didn't sell for s**t.

Also, I know it's popular to blame creative for Sheamus being a charisma vacuum, but no matter what role he's been given - heel champion, babyface champion who never loses, league of nations, stupid facial hair etc - he has always been over less than his push. Compare that to Ziggler, Bryan, Ambrose, Ryder etc, the tons of guys who have been given crap creative and don't get the protection or promotion Sheamus has been given but got way more over than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Hard to disagree with that. He hasn't exactly made the most of what he's been given. For somebody with so much experience he is poor on the mic. Don't think I've liked a Sheamus promo since his early days as a heel. Think that was the closest to his true personality.

The fact that a three wrestler Irish faction is possible is still hard to believe.

I'd love to see the alcoholic gimmick. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Absolutely. Most fans can't see he's actually a very good brawler, can't look past the awful gimmick and presentation. The way to fix Sheamus? Tell a writer to write a promo for Triple H, and then give it to Sheamus.

The difference is hhh can tell the writers hes not saying the crap they write sheamus cant.

Sheamus to me i like his matches but character wise i have just not connected with him at all. If he wasn't irish i probaley wouldn't care at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

LeeJM wrote: »
    One of them? They will all be drinking Guinness constantly, even during matches. Downing a pint will become Sheamus' superpower ala Popeye and his spinach. Kevin Dunn and Vinces dream Irish stable looks like this

hqdefault.jpg

An Irish version of the APA. Or the IPA if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Let him go send him to New Japan

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pentecost wrote: »
    An Irish version of the APA. Or the IPA if you will.

New nickname for Sheamus, the Irish Pale Ale!

Let him go send him to New Japan

He might work over there. Usually speaking you'd need a lot more presence & charisma to be a star in NJPW but his work is such that I think he might fit right in. It's a weird one though, because with his size he'd have to be high on the card, like Giant Bernard before him, and I'm not sure he's got enough to headline there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

He has won the Royal Rumble, KOTR, MITB, a world title at mania and a lot more titles.

On those accomplishments alone he is a future HOF

Not bad for a guy who started out in Irish Whip Wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The guy is easily one of the best brawlers of the modern era.

Bit gutted we didn't get a programme between Brock and himself there lately.

Would have been fun watching them beat seven shades of sh*te out of each other.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    He has won the Royal Rumble, KOTR, MITB, a world title at mania and a lot more titles.

On those accomplishments alone he is a future HOF

Not bad for a guy who started out in Irish Whip Wrestling

Mate, Koko B Ware's greatest accomplishment in wrestling was winning the esteemed Badger State Pro Wrestling Heavyweight Championship (yes, really) so I don't think you need to make a case for Sheamus to get into the 'prestigious' Hall of Fame biggrin.png

Monokne wrote: »
    Mate, Koko B Ware's greatest accomplishment in wrestling was winning the esteemed Badger State Pro Wrestling Heavyweight Championship (yes, really) so I don't think you need to make a case for Sheamus to get into the 'prestigious' Hall of Fame biggrin.png

If you are gonna put someone down and dismiss their argument you could at least be factually correct. Id say Kokos greatest accomplishment in wrestling is being a 2 time USWA World Heavyweight Champion. Im surprised your arguement for Sheamus getting in wasnt just Koko is sh!t fam LOLZ

If you are gonna put someone down and dismiss their argument you could at least be factually correct. Id say Kokos greatest accomplishment in wrestling is being a 2 time USWA World Heavyweight Champion. Im surprised your arguement for Sheamus getting in wasnt just Koko is sh!t fam LOLZ

At what point did you read my post and come to the conclusion that the reference to Badger State Pro Wrestling was not a gag?

I appreciate the 'fam' bit though. Fam ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was thinking blud that Sheamus is in the wrong WWE era. 1980s would have suited him quite better.

I think in the modern day he'd get over massively in Japan with his unique look and stiff style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Im surprised your arguement for Sheamus getting in wasnt just Koko is sh!t fam LOLZ

Yes...just yes....and thank you

I was thinking blud that Sheamus is in the wrong WWE era. 1980s would have suited him quite better.

I think in the modern day he'd get over massively in Japan with his unique look and stiff style.

He'd have been a great Hogan opponent in the 80's. Size, look, everything. Stick a manager with him to camouflage the weaknesses. That would have been such a great fit.

Sheamus as the heel du jour in the late 80's vs Hogan or Savage would have been great. Just look at the Bossman vs Hogan matches to imagine what they could have been

He really seems to be lost in the shuffle again, no real direction for his character. He's gone from being world champ 6 months again to jobbing to Zack Ryder on television.

Now that he's pushing 40 I think he'd be better off further pursuing acting opportunities, I've heard his performance was very well received in the new Turtles movie. There could be a good career there for him in the superhero/action genre.

• Advertisement

Yeah he's nearly in Mark Henry, oh yeah he's still around, territory. He supposedly loves being part of the WWE though and will work with whatever crap he's given. I like him in the ring and he's had a good career but it's hard to see anything interesting for him in future. Aside from a programme with Balor perhaps and even then it'd just be for the Irish factor really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

To be fair he has always been kept somewhat strong. I wouldn't put him in Mark Henry terriority what do ever.

Post Brand Split we will probably see Sheamo get a renewed push up the ladder. A Sami Zayn vs Sheamus feud could work or even a Kevin Owens vs Sheamus feud. Have KO talk about how Sheamus used to be relevant, used to be a guy to fear etc. try to light a fire under the big fella.

Not yet Henry level true, but that's the kind of level he's headed towards at the moment. Maybe a random US title run every few years. There's too many overtaking him for him to do much else as he gets older. As I said I actually quite like him but he's headed downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,235 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To be fair he has always been kept somewhat strong. I wouldn't put him in Mark Henry terriority what do ever.

Mark Henry got a really good run a few years back with the Hall of Pain gimmick. Hard to see Sheamus ever being reinvented at that age again the way things are going for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

He has been talking recently about putting over new talents. He has won more than most superstars could ever dream of.

Ruu wrote: »
    He has been talking recently about putting over new talents. He has won more than most superstars could ever dream of.

Very true Ruu.

When Sheamus hangs up his boots in WWE he will go down in history as a.

4 time World Champion

2 time United States Champion

2010 King of the Ring

2012 Royal Rumble Winner

2015 Money in the Bank Winner.

What a career in a relative short period of time.

An obvious WWE Hall of Fame inductee in waiting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sheamus is a good example of a guy damaged by the shared roster across two shows. He worked very hard and appeared on both shows regular but with little protection to keep him looking credible or creative doing much with his character.

He could find a good spot post draft and I hope he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very true Ruu.

When Sheamus hangs up his boots in WWE he will go down in history as a.

4 time World Champion

2 time United States Champion

2010 King of the Ring

2012 Royal Rumble Winner

2015 Money in the Bank Winner.

What a career in a relative short period of time.

An obvious WWE Hall of Fame inductee in waiting.

unreal for someone who started out in GAA halls. Hopefully Finn and Becky will be successful as well in the coming years. Although its pre detimined its still good for the sport in Ireland. Finlay will was never that sucessful but seems to have a good job backstage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whats the chances he gets put into a tag team with Finn on Monday night.

Advertisement