Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Sheamus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Dirty sheets. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I reckon he seen the attention Ryback was getting not long ago and figured I'll try that.

Only somewhat related, but wrestlers often complain about the IWC and dirtsheets but I have a hard time believing the majority (especially those who only broke into it in the last ten or so years) dont read the dirtsheets at least. A good few probably use the wrestling forums too but keep it quiet for obvious reasons.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I reckon he seen the attention Ryback was getting not long ago and figured I'll try that.

Only somewhat related, but wrestlers often complain about the IWC and dirtsheets but I have a hard time believing the majority (especially those who only broke into it in the last ten or so years) dont read the dirtsheets at least. A good few probably use the wrestling forums too but keep it quiet for obvious reasons.

It is well known that there were wrestlers and promoters (even Vince McMahon) who subscribed to the Observer years ago.

It is well known that there were wrestlers and promoters (even Vince McMahon) who subscribed to the Observer years ago.

Thats back when it was still on paper. It was pretty much the only way to get certain information back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

We're reaching a stage now where there are wrestlers who grew up with the internet and were smark fans.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I think general WWE Wrestlers read newzsites rather than read the Wrestling Observer or the PWTorch. Most in the WWE seem to have been just casual fans growing up if fans at all.

Based off many stories and accounts Wrestlers seem to not look at Wrestling as a business anymore and more just for celebrity and fame. For example a tradition that goes back two decades or more if WWE runs in Missouri Harley Race former NWA Champion puts on a BBQ at his house. Harley one year started quizzing WWE talent about the business. Asking them what was the attendance of the previous night's show and what was the attendance the time before that. Up or down? No one at BBQ knew.

rovert wrote: »
    I think general WWE Wrestlers read newzsites rather than read the Wrestling Observer or the PWTorch. Most in the WWE seem to have been just casual fans growing up if fans at all.

Based off many stories and accounts Wrestlers seem to not look at Wrestling as a business anymore and more just for celebrity and fame. For example a tradition that goes back two decades or more if WWE runs in Missouri Harley Race former NWA Champion puts on a BBQ at his house. Harley one year started quizzing WWE talent about the business. Asking them what was the attendance of the previous night's show and what was the attendance the time before that. Up or down? No one at BBQ knew.

To be fair, with the amount of shows they run, I doubt anyone knows the attendance figures without checking beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Sorry to go off topic, I lurk here quite a bit but what does turn heel mean?

Bad guy. Kane, Triple H etc. Faces are the good guys. Bryan etc.

To be fair, with the amount of shows they run, I doubt anyone knows the attendance figures without checking beforehand.

The Wrestlers of the 80s and 90s were able to keep track.

Go from a good guy to a bad guy.

Babyface or Face = good guy
    Heel = bad guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Bad guy. Kane, Triple H etc. Faces are the good guys. Bryan etc.

Ah I see, thank you:)

The Wrestlers of the 80s and 90s were able to keep track.

I doubt you could ask a random wrestler what the attendance was when they visited that city a year ago, and they would actually know without checking. Maybe what it was last night or the night before, but not much further back than that.

I doubt you could ask a random wrestler what the attendance was when they visited that city a year ago, and they would actually know without checking. Maybe what it was last night or the night before, but not much further back than that.

Sorry but you are wrong. Counting the house was a very big deal and Wrestlers would do it to make sure the promoter wasn't screwing them. A total different type of person was in the Wrestling business a generation ago.

Sorry but you are wrong. Counting the house was a very big deal and Wrestlers would do it to make sure the promoter wasn't screwing them. A total different type of person was in the Wrestling business a generation ago.

Not denying they kept track, but you honestly believe they had it all in their head? You could ask any wrestler what the attendance was for the show in New York on March 25th four years ago and they'd know?

A total different type of person was in the Wrestling business a generation ago.

For sure. However, (as if it needs stating) wrestling was a different business a generation ago. I'd probably agree with your point re: celebrity and fame but WWF has always courted mainstream celebrity going so far as having outsiders go over established wrestlers.

Just fwiw, Dave Meltzer reported this week that the WWE locker room is not happy about house show payoffs. WWE talent would do well to read "the dirtsheets" and the analysis of the Network by the likes of Chris Harrington.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

The whole show attendance debate says more about Harley Race than today's crop.

Wrestling Observer:
    -- For the record, when Sheamus kicked Ambrose during the battle royal last Monday, that was supposed to be his heel turn. It appears fans haven't figured that out yet. We'll see what they do with him on Monday.

Watched Smackdown. He did come off vaguely heelish and bit too proud of his title win.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I'm watching it now and they're making out that Sheamus won in heelish fashion. 'Some fans are questioning the way he won the title.'

He won it fair and square though. It's not as if he wrestled the match by hiding outside or staying in the corner. He was active throughout and I remember before they went to the commercial there was a moment where Ambrose targets Sheamus from behind and goes for his leg. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't see it as heelish myself. He won a battle royale fairly

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Very poor heel turn...he eliminated the champion and said hard luck nothing personal afterwards, in a way that didn't come across overly sarcastic..bad guy Sheamus is too good to us all

• Advertisement

Didn't get much heelishness off of him aside frim I guess doing a big move outside the ring.

Heels shouldn't be smiling and giving the crowd high-fives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭briany

Didn't get much heelishness off of him aside frim I guess doing a big move outside the ring.

Heels shouldn't be smiling and giving the crowd high-fives.

Well, it's in the spirit of this whole 'no more heels or faces' kick the WWE is on, isn't it? Maybe they were trying the whole subtle heel turn thing. Maybe the overestimated the overness of Ambrose that Sheamus would get heel heat for beating him.

On Smackdown, the cheers for both were 50/50 at least, and you could easily argue that Sheamus got the louder pop. Maybe they'll have Sheamus and Ambrose have a mini feud, Evolution interferes in their match one time, Sheamus helps them attack Ambrose, Sheamus joins Evolution, replacing either Batista or Orton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

So, the heel turn has been stalled for a while it looks like. Is this because of Daniel Bryans injury and the need for a top face? Still looking forward to the match V Cesaro at Payback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    So, the heel turn has been stalled for a while it looks like. Is this because of Daniel Bryans injury and the need for a top face? Still looking forward to the match V Cesaro at Payback.

If it was anything like their match last week in the o2. I'd be very happy.

2wr2srr.jpg

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2109518-wwe-should-give-up-on-sheamus-as-a-main-event-star

Ah here Sharon.

Personally he is the best he has been in ring and most certainly from a character POV. No more long stories about his Great Uncles in back Ireland or being a dickhead babyface made heels (Sandow) sympathetic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Ah now, she's giving out about Sheamus not being positioned towards the top, and only there to make up the numbers? This is a match that has Del Rio in it!

With Reigns getting a babyface push now and Rollins likely moving into a top tier heel spot Shay is as lost in the shuffle as anyone. His matches of late have been pretty good though.

With Reigns getting a babyface push now and Rollins likely moving into a top tier heel spot Shay is as lost in the shuffle as anyone. His matches of late have been pretty good though.

Seems a lot of people of the smark persuasion are posed for a Reign's backlash given the cynical times we live in. Going by the Raw main event I don't see that happening yet at least. But also going by Raw the crowd were VERY hot for Sheamus's hot tag and Brogue Kick finish too.

I think it is a bit more of a dog fight between Sheamus and Reigns than people give credit for.

I think it is a bit more of a dog fight between Sheamus and Reigns than people give credit for.

I'd have said Barrett too as he had improved a lot in the last few months.

• Advertisement

I'd have said Barrett too as he had improved a lot in the last few months.

There's scope for WWE to "Diesel" Roman Reigns. Thought this Father's Day Public Service Announcement pic was a mistake for this early in his babyface headliner career:

roman_reigns_and_daughter.png

By Diesel I mean what this magazine cover represents. The total about face after winning the title. From mean mugging heel to total smiling babyface:
    KevinNash&Diesel.jpg

In a recent shoot interview (Kayfabe Commentaries Timeline 1995) Kevin Nash refers to it as a massive tactical mistake.

Advertisement