Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog-walking spot between Claremorris and Sligo

• 22-12-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

I'm driving from Ennis (Clare) to Dungloe (Donegal) tomorrow with two collies. They're very good travellers, but they'll definitely need to stretch their legs along the way. Ideally they'd get off-lead, though I can keep them on the lead if I need to.
    Can anybody recommend a place that won't involve a major detour from the N17? I don't know the area at all, and I've been combing the OS maps but it's hard to tell where might be suitable. Obviously I don't want to add to their journey by driving around for ages looking for a place.
    Does anybody know the woods to the east of Ballysadare? Would this be a suitable spot for a ramble? (Easily accessible, room to park, that sort of thing.)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Sorry if it's a bit late but those woods (union wood) are perfect for what your looking for. There's an entrance from collooney side and also beside ballygawley lake. I'v never gone from collooney side myself but I know people who do so I can't vouch for parking etc but it all links up to the same woods. There's loads of parking at the other entrance beside ballygawley lake, they've actually built a new road there recently that's not on google maps and they've blocked off the old road but there's a turning down to it and a huge area for parking on what was the old road. So it's a lot safer now for parking and taking dogs out of the car.

Once your in the woods it's safe to let them off lead. You might meet the odd few joggers and dog walkers but it's probably quiet enough this time of year in the cold. There's deer too in certain parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Sorry if it's a bit late but those woods (union wood) are perfect for what your looking for. There's an entrance from collooney side and also beside ballygawley lake. I'v never gone from collooney side myself but I know people who do so I can't vouch for parking etc but it all links up to the same woods. There's loads of parking at the other entrance beside ballygawley lake, they've actually built a new road there recently that's not on google maps and they've blocked off the old road but there's a turning down to it and a huge area for parking on what was the old road. So it's a lot safer now for parking and taking dogs out of the car.

Once your in the woods it's safe to let them off lead. You might meet the odd few joggers and dog walkers but it's probably quiet enough this time of year in the cold. There's deer too in certain parts.

Thank you for getting back to me. I had pretty much made up my mind that that was where I'd stop. It's good to know I won't wast time faffing around looking for a suitable spot with two over-excited collies whining and panting in my ear. Normally I love finding new walking destinations, but not after a two-and-a-half hour drive! I think I'll head for the lake and explore from there. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Thank you for getting back to me. I had pretty much made up my mind that that was where I'd stop. It's good to know I won't wast time faffing around looking for a suitable spot with two over-excited collies whining and panting in my ear. Normally I love finding new walking destinations, but not after a two-and-a-half hour drive! I think I'll head for the lake and explore from there. Thanks again!

If you look on google maps the entrance is just north of lake. Hope you find it and safe journey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Opposite to Zapperzy. I've only accessed union from the Collooney side. It's probably easier to get to, as it's only a 2 minute drive from the N4. Think I've thelink ok, but just to help, take the first exit off the 1st roundabout. At the next roundabout take the 3rd exit (Ballygawley road). Take the first left and continue until you go over a bridge.There will be a house directly in front of you, take the left and continue until you get to an old white house. The 1st access lane is just past the house. (There's plenty of room to turn)

Just a heads up on the walk, you could take several routes through it, but I'd recommend 2 I do with my dog, both will finish at the 2nd access lane, its about 100m upthe road from the 1st.

1)You'll meet a gate about 1km in on your left ,go through that and down the hill through the second gate and turn left. (25mins)
    2)Go past the gate and you'll come to a crossroads, turn left. You'll see another gate to your left. (This one is steep enough with a good bit of leaf litter,so I'd avoid it as its quite wet today). Turn left at the bottom (50mins)

https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=N17&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&sll=54.185067,-8.477325&sspn=0.022903,0.066047&geocode=FQSrOgMdPnZ-_w%3BFUXzOgMdJ3h-_w&mra=me&mrsp=0,1&sz=15&t=m&z=15

Thanks Bebo and Zapperzy!
    It makes a difference to know when I set off that I have such good info about my destination.
    Looks like I might postpone the trip until tomorrow though, just heard a weather warning on the radio and a particular warning to motorists in the north west. I'll still have to stop to let the dogs out, so all your help is greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

If you want/ need to stop sooner than that then Clare Lake loop in claremorris is nice though you would have to leave the N17 and go through the town to get to it. There's a loop around the lake of about 1 mile or you could go a bit further through "the land of the giants" for a few surprises ;). I think about 3 miles or a wee bit less if you do the full loop.

http://www.mayotrails.ie/claremorris.html

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=claremorris+ireland&ll=53.716368,-9.002995&spn=0.015441,0.042272&hnear=Claremorris,+County+Mayo&gl=ie&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.716329,-9.003162&panoid=Sa68AlU4gpFMj83BG3Fr-w&cbp=12,144.28,,0,5.69

Thanks again everybody. Made it up safely, after the longest and most stressful drive of my life. The only pleasant interlude was a 40 min walk in Union woods near Ballysadare. The rain miraculously stopped, the sky cleared and the dogs had a great run. Then it was hail, rain and gale-force winds all the way to Dungloe.
    Mods, feel free to close this thread, mission accomplished!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement