Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help with pen problems!

• 22-12-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone
    I was hoping for some advise on my attempted diy dog pen. We are the proud owners of a jack russell, a lab and a bassett hound and have a large garden and decided to build a dog run ourselves as money is tight and they need space. We used a wooden frame and chicken wire for the frame with the wire buried under concrete lentils to stop them digging out. We have extended the height as the lab keeps climbing out but it hasnt stopped her. All the digging inside the pen by the smaller ones has also left a muddy mess. Any advise on how to solve these issues in as cheap a way as possible would be so great.
    Thanks to everyone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Well my first though re the climbing lab is roof it.
    Not sure about the mud issue, paving would be good, but expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Regarding the ground becoming a muddy mess, I would recommend getting the area covered with bark chips (for example http://www.turfandstuff.com/shopimages/products/normal/mini_bark_chips.jpg ) I work at a doggie daycare and this is what we use on the outside area. It's not 100% flawless in terms of being mud-free, but it would leave considerably less mud to deal with.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

You could line the floor of the pen in chicken wire and then bark chips as VonVix has said above. Mine have chewed thru the chicken wire aswell, if they want to get out they will find a way. I have one lady who I cant trust in mine at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lrecks

Thanks guys. I might have to just roof it. Shes only six months old so full of energy. They are indoors if the weather is bad and sleep in at night but they love being out and i wanted a good big secure play area for them. Its proving harder than i expected. I never thought of using that bark. Thanks a million. I reckon it will be used as a chew toy too....double use :-)
    Can anyone suggest good quality stuff thats not too expensive

Advertisement