Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problem with valve from attic tank

• 22-12-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi...

I was changing the filler for the toilet earlier. I turned off the cold water from the tank in the attic, changed the filler and then attempted to the the water from the tank back on, the tap will only go a half turn.

Anyone any idea of what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It's a common problem, cheap wheelhead valves, it would best to replace it and any others as you're at it, with good quality lever valves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Thanks.

What can I do for now? No cold water to toilets or taps! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Eponymous wrote: »
    Hi...

I was changing the filler for the toilet earlier. I turned off the cold water from the tank in the attic, changed the filler and then attempted to the the water from the tank back on, the tap will only go a half turn.

Anyone any idea of what I can do?
    Try gently/strongly forcing it turning handel antyclockwise at the same time keep rapidly tapping the side of the valve with a hammer. It sometimes loosens it. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I would agree with Scudo, if its only moving a half turn then its worth attempting a bit more pressure, it can only ring the spline and you'll again need to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Cheers.

Took the advice of applying a little more pressure. Using a pliers on the wheel afforded a little more torque and I managed to get the wheel turned and water flowing.

I guess it'll be a job in the new year to drain the tank so that lever valves can be installed.

Thanks for the advice all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement