Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance

Options
  • 22-12-2013 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi.

My name is Andrew. I am thirty years old and I currently lost my job and my life due to sickness. I plan on getting back up and running again and want to move back into Dublin. I have a housing needs assessment done, so social welfare have given me permission to move into a house with rent allowance in Dublin.

However, I have found no where yet to let. I need somewhere with internet, and a parking spot. I do not mind if I share.

Has anyone any suggestions on how to find advertised letting places for people wishing to move into Dublin, but that need rent allowance support in place to currently live?

I currently am looking for work in Dublin. I am a qualified computer scientist with some experience. I just want to test the water in Dublin first.

I would really love if I could move back to Dublin.

If anyone can give me tips on where to look for housing, with internet and car park, please PM me.

:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fozzlefuzz

Hi Chucken,

Almost all places on daft.ie have the requirement 'No Rent Allowance'. I feel its rather discriminatory. If you can give me tips on where on daft.ie to look where they offer letting to those with rent allowance then please let me know.

I just do not know how others get places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There is a filter in daft.ie in their advanced search to select properties that accept rent allowance.

Landlords have a variety of reasons for not accepting rent allowance, the subject has been done to death on here. The bottom line is it's their property and it's their prerogative who they choose to let it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

fozzlefuzz wrote: »
    Hi Chucken,

Almost all places on daft.ie have the requirement 'No Rent Allowance'. I feel its rather discriminatory. If you can give me tips on where on daft.ie to look where they offer letting to those with rent allowance then please let me know.

I just do not know how others get places.

I would advise if you find a very suitable place, to book a viewing regardless of rent allowance specifications. It might seem sneaky or disrespectful, but from my experience, not all places who claim not to accept rent allowance are actually that strict.
    Two of the places I rented were very specific about no rent allowance on their ads, but once they saw at the viewing that I was a clean, well-mannered professional adult looking for somewhere quiet to reside while studying, they were happy to let me get rent allowance. Now, be aware that some places will not budge, but it is worth your while to go and make yourself known to not be a troublemaker on social welfare, just in case.

Hi athtransna,

I understand landlords are selective about who they let into their homes. I would be too. I tried filtering by rent allowance, in dublin city centre/ north dublin / south dublin areas but there was only one option in harold's cross. I must be filtering it incorrectly.

I will tinker with it further though. I am glad the option to search by is on daft.ie though.

• Advertisement

Hi Shashabear,

I understand that perhaps that is the way it is then.

I have asked over the internet in the diary part of the submission, that I am disabled with rent allowance at the moment, due to my life situation, but I have yet to find a respondent advertising that would budge for me.

Thanks for the tips.

Advertisement