Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

"Senna" documentary just started on it4 if anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Force India with Smirnoff on board:

242707.jpg

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

Looks the part, if only it had a decent looking nose.

I remember the Brazilian squad dedicating their 1994 World Cup victory to Senna.

tumblr_le9ogtBiUB1qcaoy3o1_500.jpg

Even though I watched the world cup and the final I don't remember any of that.
    At that time I didn't get to watch F1 so it surprised me that hearing his death on the radio seemed a bigger deal to me than it should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Has the makings of a 'caption this' thing.:D
    tumblr_n4wgrokAyA1s9l8tco1_500.jpg
    "Senna" documentary just started on it4 if anyone interested.
    On at the same time on Sky F1 was an hour long interview with Ron Dennis where he mentioned it and said some of the people in that had no business talking about Senna at all as they didn't really know him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Gillespy wrote: »

"Are those my feet?"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Former Ferrari chief mechanic Nigel Stepney was killed early this morning in a traffic accident in England.
    Although he's probably remembered more for his involvement in the 2007 Spygate scandal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

• Advertisement

..jesus, look at how much of the driver is exposed.

17192.jpg
    How was that even legal? That roll hoop offers no protection.

To be fair, that pic of the Life car Mike posted looks like it was taken at Goodwood and not at a GP.

This pic below is when Gary Brabham drove the Life in 1990:

1990garybrabhamlifel190wh5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sad to hear that news. RIP
    Thought this was good read, a little bit about his history in f1
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/nigel-stepney-1958-2014-2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

It seems he stopped his van, got out and walked on to the motorway, and was then struck. Seems very unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Force India with Smirnoff on board:

242707.jpg

:cool:

New driver arrived on their doorstep instantly once the announcement was made :pac:

10155943_703816696330605_7904092378405529646_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Marussia boss Graeme Lowden is a man of many talents. This year, we've found out the he can draw.

Bm4ahJ_IEAA3n55.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

When are we going to get them all in the same car so we can gauge that bit better as to who is the best driver?

Gintonious wrote: »
    "...And you know a lot about racing. And you should know that by being a racing driver, you are under risks all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver, because we are competing. We are competing to win, and the main motivation to all of us is to compete for victory; it's not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th."

I love that Senna quote. He was mesmerizing to listen to. Very insightful and interesting, and of course, the fastest F1 driver ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I have to disagree. That was in his infamous interview with Jackie Stewart after the 1990 Japanese GP, where he took Alain Prost out in the first corner.

walshb wrote: »
    When are we going to get them all in the same car so we can gauge that bit better as to who is the best driver?

When F1 becomes GP1, so, to answer your question, never.

F1 is a Prototype race Series. It's a top tier championship where the car makes as much of a difference as the driver. Like the LMP1 cars this year; new electrics and the top teams (Audi, Toyota and Prosche) have all gone different ways. The same is for F1. It will never be a single make championship. And I do not mind that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The BBC put them in a Suzuki Liana every once in a while.

• Advertisement

I have to disagree. That was in his infamous interview with Jackie Stewart after the 1990 Japanese GP, where he took Alain Prost out in the first corner.

Didn't Prost admit a few years later that he did cut across Senna? Or was that Suzuka 1989? I think in 1990 Prost did open the door, and then turned in. Senna went for the gap and Prost closed the door in 1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Apparently McLaren will be using a tusk nose like Lotus this weekend.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Apparently McLaren will be using a tusk nose like Lotus this weekend.

lana-kane.gif-w625.gif

jiFfM.jpg

Luckily, it seems they won't be!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I might be the only one, judging by some of the reactions here, but I think the Lotus nose is one of the nicer ones out there at the moment. I definitely think it's way nicer than McLaren's current ant-eater nose anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I agree. The first mclaren nose we saw this year made for a stunning car. The latest one absolutely destroys the lines of the car.
    The twin tusk setup would be a great improvement over the current one imo.

stevenmu wrote: »
    I might be the only one, judging by some of the reactions here, but I think the Lotus nose is one of the nicer ones out there at the moment. I definitely think it's way nicer than McLaren's current ant-eater nose anyway.

And the Lotus nose is nicer than the Toro Rosso nose.

Renault - some teams are late with payments.

The teams in question have to be Lotus and Caterham.

• Advertisement

Lotus are a disgrace. Are they actually paying anyone?
    Id hate to think what is happening to small businesses that supply them if they will happily shaft headline companies and drivers.
    The spoof finance last year still strikes me as odd. There was heavy suspicion that the guy was a fraud yet lotus presented him to worlds media as the future of the team. Surely they were not that naive. Was it a stalling tactic engineered by themselves in full knowledge that it would never come off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So who do Renault use as their "works" team. Red Bull?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113859

Perez complaining about the tyres, apparently a lot of drivers are too. I don't see an issue myself, the longer it takes to get the cars back on rails with downforce, the better in my opinion.

flazio wrote: »
    So who do Renault use as their "works" team. Red Bull?

Yup, switched this year I think. Though they were working very closely with them before as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I might draw a lot of ire for saying this but I'm a bit withered with all the Senna coverage on Sky F1 the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I might draw a lot of ire for saying this but I'm a bit withered with all the Senna coverage on Sky F1 the last few weeks.

Sky could make a piss up in a brewery sound boring to be fair.

Great piece from EJ on BBC there, revealed he offered Senna 50% of the team to drive for Jordan.

Sky could make a piss up in a brewery sound boring to be fair.

Great piece from EJ on BBC there, revealed he offered Senna 50% of the team to drive for Jordan.

Yep, didn't know that at all about EJ offering Senna 50%. I also didn't know Senna carried an Austrian flag in his car for Roland on May 1st.

I wonder how different history would be if Senna joined Jordan in '94.

I wonder how different history would be if Senna joined Jordan in '94.

Well, assuming senna lived on, surely Jordan with senna on board would have somewhere along the line got full Honda backing and the decision by Honda to favour BAR over Jordan would never have come about. Honda might have taken full ownership of Jordan and as history suggests they would probably have closed it down just when they were about to be competitive.

• Advertisement

I found nothing wrong with what Sky did or Senna week in total. In fact some of it was refreshing in that it didn't paper over his less admirable moments or traits. The BBC piece wasn't anything special in comparison I thought, contributions from practically the same people with some appropriate music in the background, nice little insights from Eddie though.

Easy to say now but half the team would've been a nice payday in the longterm for a few years of driving.

And yeah, thought the Senna stuff was a bit overdone. Been thinking that for about 18 months now though :P

Does anyone else miss the days of Sunday morning warm up? I always enjoyed having at least a bit of an idea who was fast in race trim before the race...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I found nothing wrong with what Sky did or Senna week in total. In fact some of it was refreshing in that it didn't paper over his less admirable moments or traits. The BBC piece wasn't anything special in comparison I thought, contributions from practically the same people with some appropriate music in the background, nice little insights from Eddie though.

You don't become successful in sport without being an ass some of the time. Look at any of the world champions, arrogant 60% of the time. You need a hard neck to be successful in the sport.

I wonder will this season be like 1988 where one team was totally dominant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Zcott wrote: »
    Does anyone else miss the days of Sunday morning warm up? I always enjoyed having at least a bit of an idea who was fast in race trim before the race...

No?

Teams used qualy only set ups back in those days, qualy trim is race trim now.

• Advertisement

Given that the 2014 titles are all but sewn up (barring catastrophic errors by Mercedes), I wouldn't be surprised to see Ricciardo as a good bet for 2015 if Renault get their act together.

This is the most dominant start to a season since 88 apparently.

What kind of advantage did those McLarens have over the rest?
    Given that the 2014 titles are all but sewn up (barring catastrophic errors by Mercedes), I wouldn't be surprised to see Ricciardo as a good bet for 2015 if Renault get their act together.
    He would be a popular champion. Seb looked more like his old self yesterday though, only for him being out of position it could have been a great battle between them.

I seem to recall that Mansell and Williams had a similar start to the '92 season. Mansell won the first 4-5 races. But yes, almost 1-2 for Mercedes in the first 5 races seems to be the best result ever to date. This car dominance takes away from the real duels in the sport. Take Vettel, just how great is he? Done nothing this season, and is even trailing his team-mate. Monaco should show us more competition. The power advantage that Mercedes has will be negated somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This car dominance takes away from the real duels in the sport.

Can't say I'd agree with that. A dominant team, is a hell of a lot more exciting to watch than a dominant driver (ie 2011, 2012, & 2013). At least there's a fight up the front now, instead of the winner being more or less decided on Saturday afternoons. If there was another two or three laps in Spain there, I reckon Nico would have won that race...& even still, him hunting down Hamilton made it exciting. That was never the case with Vettel, if he got pole as he usually did, the race was over after the first corner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement