Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I recall reading a comment from someone at Audi Sport who said they'd no interest at all in F1 what with the "Spend ten million to develop a component that only gains you a thousand of a second but then gets banned two races later." mentality. It ended with something like "Come back to us when you're actually serious about controlling costs."

They'll have a bit of a wait.

Renault left F1 in the late '90's because they felt they were getting less and less from it. A spokesman said something like "A team wins with our engine, it's all about them. Our engine fails, it's all about us." Nothing much has changed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I recall reading a comment from someone at Audi Sport who said they'd no interest at all in F1 what with the "Spend ten million to develop a component that only gains you a thousand of a second but then gets banned two races later." mentality. It ended with something like "Come back to us when you're actually serious about controlling costs."

They'll have a bit of a wait.

Renault left F1 in the late '90's because they felt they were getting less and less from it. A spokesman said something like "A team wins with our engine, it's all about them. Our engine fails, it's all about us." Nothing much has changed there.

Both good points. Renault had it all when they had the team as well as the engine and Alonso won two titles. But moving to an engine supplier only does mean that they become somewhat overlooked. However, I think, given their season to to date, they wouldn't mind been overlooked :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

logik wrote: »
    However, I think, given their season to to date, they wouldn't mind been overlooked :rolleyes:
    Red Bull Racing-Renault are 2nd in the championship by a margin of 21 points over Ferrari.
    They've beaten a lot of Mercedes powered teams. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

aphex™ wrote: »
    Red Bull Racing-Renault are 2nd in the championship by a margin of 21 points over Ferrari.
    They've beaten a lot of Mercedes powered teams. :rolleyes:

Red Bull have won the drivers & constructors titles four seasons in a row...I still wouldn't touch a normal renault car with a barge pole though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Myrddin wrote: »
    Red Bull have won the drivers & constructors titles four seasons in a row...I still wouldn't touch a normal renault car with a barge pole though :o
    Same here. That's the problem with Renault Sport. They win things on the track for years, then produce the least sporty and boxy consumer cars on the road. Then they wonder why it doesn't translate into big roadcar sales.:pac:

EDIT: Then they push for engine regulation changes, and can't even produce a decent engine in the spec they helped formulate. Then they moan about not getting recognition for their success.
    Pretty sure they work more hours in Illmor than they do in Renault Sport HQ. But that's a discussion for another thread on European working time regulations :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Myrddin wrote: »

Agreed, them winning in F1 does not make me want to buy a Renault.

Funny though, I'd now strongly consider a hybrid for my next car though. Not because of any sporting element we've seen in F1, but F1 has driven the message home to me about harvesting energy that would normally be wasted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Gillespy

McLaren P1 or the Porsche 918?

Gillespy wrote: »

When I seen Clarksons P1 segment on TG I thought that's it, nothing can top that...but god that Porsche...& I'm not really a Porsche lover...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

LaFerrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I wonder if that'll go the same way as USF1...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Zcott wrote: »
    I wonder if that'll go the same way as USF1...

I'd say not, they have built buildings specifically for the F1 Team, I'd say it's more the mentality to hit the ground running and winning, rather than starting with a poor team and trying to improve.

If they hold off a season thats more development time, and time for them to learn the engines etc.

But if they were to rush into next season, and had a poor start, I'd think they'd be less likely to remain in F1

9a71vb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

That McLaren P1 was just unbelieveable. They are putting the, both around the TG circuit later in the year so worth keeping an eye out for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Shane_ef wrote: »
    I'd say not, they have built buildings specifically for the F1 Team, I'd say it's more the mentality to hit the ground running and winning, rather than starting with a poor team and trying to improve.

If they hold off a season thats more development time, and time for them to learn the engines etc.

But if they were to rush into next season, and had a poor start, I'd think they'd be less likely to remain in F1

9a71vb.jpg

I remember reading an article where Haas said he was aiming for 2016, but Bernie persuaded him to push for 2015, guess he thought better of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

With the Canadian GP coming up this weekend, I had a look at this clip where Jean Alesi won, taking his first and only victory in F1 at Montreal in 1995:

I read that he signed a contract to drive for Williams in 1991, but he opted for Ferrari instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Alesi seems like the kind of driver who had a lot of potential but never got to realise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Alesi seems like the kind of driver who had a lot of potential but never got to realise it.

Lots of bad decisions and a ton of bad luck. If there ever was a case of being in the wrong team at the wrong time, it was Alesi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

He deteriorated badly in his later seasons and I was too young to remember him when he was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    With the Canadian GP coming up this weekend, I had a look at this clip where Jean Alesi won, taking his first and only victory in F1 at Montreal in 1995:

I read that he signed a contract to drive for Williams in 1991, but he opted for Ferrari instead.

That is true - how different history could have been if Alesi hadjoined Williams - but his dream was Ferrari

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    That is true - how different history could have been if Alesi hadjoined Williams - but his dream was Ferrari

One of the reasons he would have joined Ferrari in 1991 too was that they had a race winning car and even Prost had a chance of winning the title in 1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Was that Jordan's first visit to the podium?

flazio wrote: »
    Was that Jordan's first visit to the podium?

The first Jordan driver to reach the podium was Rubens Barrichello at the 1994 Pacific GP in Aida where he finished third.

The 1995 Canadian GP was the first 'double podium' for Jordan.

He deteriorated badly in his later seasons and I was too young to remember him when he was good.

I thought he had some great races for sauber. Put in some performances with prost too despite the car.

I thought he had some great races for sauber. Put in some performances with prost too despite the car.

Didn't Pedro Diniz not pretty much match him though which is not the form of a top driver.

Looks like there could be another team in F1 next year called Forza Rossa.

Didn't Pedro Diniz not pretty much match him though which is not the form of a top driver.

Not that I remember but I could be wrong.

Looks like there could be another team in F1 next year called Forza Rossa.

Interesting that this almost seems like a partially government backed entry by Romania. I can't imagine that going down too well with a government when all the team will probably be based in the UK.

Interesting that this almost seems like a partially government backed entry by Romania. I can't imagine that going down too well with a government when all the team will probably be based in the UK.

Looks like the team will be based in Germany as Kolles has a factory there. I don't like the team name at all though. Maybe they should bring the Andrea Moda name back into F1 ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

With a name like that the cars will have to be red, I wonder how Ferrari will feel about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I don't think they had much of a problem with Life using red. :pac:

I don't think they had much of a problem with Life using red. :pac:

Or Dallara, or those awful Winfield Williamses of the late 90s.

stevenmu wrote: »
    With a name like that the cars will have to be red, I wonder how Ferrari will feel about that?

Ferrari are apparently supplying the engines as one of the guys behind it is Romania's Ferrari importer.

This means Haas need to look for an engine supplier now as I believe their original plan was to use Ferrari power.

Or Dallara, or those awful Winfield Williamses of the late 90s.

Williams FW21:

Alex_Zanardi_1999_Canada.jpg

*Pukes*

What were they thinking?!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Ferrari are apparently supplying the engines as one of the guys behind it is Romania's Ferrari importer.

This means Haas need to look for an engine supplier now as I believe their original plan was to use Ferrari power.

Well, Honda are reportedly looking for a 'B Team' for their partnership with McLaren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

'Boards.ie Team' - Let's do this!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Pretty sure that is incorrect, yes the guy behind it is Romania's Ferrari importer (and the name is the Ferrari importation company) but its been said elsewhere the plan is to use Renault engines.

Pretty sure that is incorrect, yes the guy behind it is Romania's Ferrari importer (and the name is the Ferrari importation company) but its been said elsewhere the plan is to use Renault engines.

Seems a bit up in the air - Joe Saward reporting likely Ferrari, most other places reporting likely Renault.

• Advertisement

Well, Honda are reportedly looking for a 'B Team' for their partnership with McLaren.

Not in the short term:

Honda’s motorsport chief Yasuhisa Arai has revealed that the Japanese company will only supply McLaren in 2015, ruling out the possibility of customer power units in the short term.

“For year 2015, McLaren is our only customer,” said Arai at the Chinese Grand Prix. “I don’t think about the future, because we want to concentrate on next season.

From http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/04/honda-rule-out-customer-teams-for-2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

San Marino have put this stamp on sale from today. Weird system of buying it. Buy it on credit card (you dont give them the details) and later they send you an email when your order is ready and then you give them your credit card details. BTW the shipping is quite high so I bough a Juventus one as well as I am into football too.

Best to buy an FDC (First Day Cover) as it will come on a envelope with his portrait.

http://www.aasfn.sm/on-line/en/home/philately.html

Actually for those who want that Senna 20th anniversary stamp after you have order just go into myAASFN and put in the details.

Williams FW21:

Alex_Zanardi_1999_Canada.jpg

*Pukes*

They could have painted that any colour and it still would have been ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Formula E makes F1's Double Points look logical with their new regulation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Formula E makes F1's Double Points look logical with their new regulation...

Ffs, who would watch muck like that.

• Advertisement

They could have painted that any colour and it still would have been ugly.

I wonder is 1999 contender for worst looking cars in the last 30 years?

McLaren - Looked very similar to 1998, more aggressive nose
    Ferrari - horrible marlboro red, throw in tic tac and fed ex to clash as much as possible
    Williams - as above the rocket ice pop effort
    Jordan - one of the nicest cars ever to ever take to the track
    Benneton - similar to 1998 but louder - if that was even possible
    Sauber - a beauty of a car, incorporating the red bull and petronas colours in cleaner lines
    Arrows - a text book on how to take a lovely simple design and ruin it. Have black half red/white/orange
    Stewart - nicer looking car but the colour scheme is dominated by sponsors
    Prost - very simple design, the sponsors work well on it
    Minardi - silver and blue again. somehow tops 1998's car in ugliness
    BAR - the split. Both very nice designs, together awful looking

Ferrari - horrible marlboro red, throw in tic tac and fed ex to clash as much as possible
    Sauber - a beauty of a car, incorporating the red bull and petronas colours in cleaner lines
    Arrows - a text book on how to take a lovely simple design and ruin it. Have black half red/white/orange

I thought it was a good year myself. There were some interesting sidepods that year too.
    prost-ap02-11.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Agree with all that, only the Jordan and Sauber were nice, the rest were fugly especially Williams. They pulled it back the following year, I loved the 2000 Williams livery. Reminds me of the epic Brabham liveries of the early 80's.

williams-fw22-bmw-08.jpg

Agree with all that, only the Jordan and Sauber were nice, the rest were fugly especially Williams. They pulled it back the following year, I loved the 2000 Williams livery. Reminds me of the epic Brabham liveries of the early 80's.

williams-fw22-bmw-08.jpg

Yea the blue and white were lovely colours. Is it just my bad memory acting up or did they start as black and white in 2000 and move towards blue as the season progressed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Yea the blue and white were lovely colours. Is it just my bad memory acting up or did they start as black and white in 2000 and move towards blue as the season progressed?

I'm not sure. Did a quick search and all of the on track photos look the dark navy/black colour and a lot of models are blue/dark blue.

I know the following year it was blue and white, lost the lines and didn't look half as nice imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement