Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Just a heads up for anyone not following Craig Scarborough on twitter - He is posting some great detail photos of some classic F1 cars today including lots of the Jordan 191.

It was great seeing some photos of the Jordan 191 which I have never seen before.

Just look at this beauty:

Jordan-1991.jpg

Just gorgeous :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

OSI wrote: »
    My money's on a VAG Group company.

Can't see it happening with the money they already spend in LMP1, DTM, GT3, WRC, MotoGp/WSBK

pretty sure Ferdinand Piëch has said in the past that as long as he is in charge of VAG they wont take part in F1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think that if VAG were to enter F1, they'd probably do it as Lamborghini.

Then again, Toyota entered F1 under their own name rather than under Lexus, so I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I think that if VAG were to enter F1, they'd probably do it as Lamborghini.

Then again, Toyota entered F1 under their own name rather than under Lexus, so I could be wrong.

I would be very surprised if a manufacturer was to buy out Caterham - rumours seem to point towards Kolles and the Romanian team backers.

Gene Haas and a tie in with Sauber is my outside bet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    It was great seeing some photos of the Jordan 191 which I have never seen before.

Just look at this beauty:

Jordan-1991.jpg

Just gorgeous :cool:

The Western answer to the Taliban would probably disapprove of 7Up as well because of their hatred of sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭lolie

Live stream of the Goodwood festival of speed.
    Some nice f1 cars including the Jordan 191 heading up the hill soon.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bW0jJ1nVxVc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Have the f1 cars been up already today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

From paddy power.. Odds for the F1 Drivers and the Championship

N Rosberg 4/6
    L Hamilton 6/5
    V Bottas 250/1
    K Magnussen 1000/1
    L Hamilton 6/5
    F Massa 250/1
    P Maldonado 1000/1
    D Ricciardo 66/1
    K Raikkonen 750/1
    J Button 1000/1
    S Vettel 80/1
    N Hulkenberg 1000/1
    D Kvyat 1000/1
    F Alonso 200/1
    R Grosjean 1000/1

Zcott wrote: »
    Have the f1 cars been up already today?

They were. They went out around the time of lolie's post above.

You'll have to head over to YouTube to see them.

• Advertisement

What are the odds of Caterham, Lotus and Sauber not being on the grid next year in their current format ?

Bernie today saying he would prefer 8 teams with 3 cars each, also suggested that it would make a lotmore sense for a new entrant to buy an existing team - guessing Bernie means buying into one of the remaining 8 and not referring to saving eg Lotus ! Then again lets see who has bought Caterham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Bernie says he wants to get rid of Monza as well. :confused:

I mean if he wants Mugello just call it the European GP or the San Marino GP or something.

But keep Monza - thats a classic.

Bernie says he wants to get rid of Monza as well. :confused:

I mean if he wants Mugello just call it the European GP or the San Marino GP or something.

But keep Monza - thats a classic.

Not a hope of the race being in Mugello, there's no infrastructure, as for Monza, Ferrari will veto any threat against Monza !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Bernie comes out with these threats to put a fire under contract negotiations, I seriously doubt that they will change it from being at Monza.

Yep, it's usually a tactic to get them to upgrade some infrastructure like pit buildings or access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Yep, it's usually a tactic to get them to upgrade some infrastructure like pit buildings or access.

Unlikely, it's Bernie wants $$$$.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Saw a few rumours that Christjian Albers was involved...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

yep, he's team boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

OSI wrote: »
    Getting really bored of these constant Susie Wolff, "I'll be an F1 driver one day", "Women are just as awesome as men" interviews. No wonder poor Toto sold his shares in Williams, probably needed to to fund another year of her sitting around the Williams garage.

Isnt she in the car for a practice session at Silverstone this weekend? I think once people see the time sheets it will become obvious she will in fact, not be a F1 driver one day. She has a less then mediocre track record in motorsport and the only reason she is where she is, is that shes married to a williams shareholder and is a woman. She seems nice and all, but the fact that you have GP2 champions racing sports cars or indy cars while shes knocking around the F1 paddock annoys me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

She seems nice and all, but the fact that you have GP2 champions racing sports cars or indy cars while shes knocking around the F1 paddock annoys me!
    She probably knows in her heart she won't be fast enough to be an F1 driver but I'm sure she's been told once or twice she's a role model to young girls and wants to be positive about her chances, at least publicly. It's not going to be easy for a woman to break into F1 so even her trying out is just a step towards making that happen.

There are plenty of guys who end up in an F1 car that don't get it on their driving abilities but what else they can bring to the team (money), so her fighting her corner is no worse than that.

But her at least being an encouragement to young girls to get into the sport is worth putting her in a car for a try. I remember the day I went to watch karting at whiteriver and one of the fastest young people was a girl, get them driving young enough and there could be a female F1 champion one day.

It won't be susie though, I think she's already a bit long in the tooth for a serious attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Isnt she in the car for a practice session at Silverstone this weekend? I think once people see the time sheets it will become obvious she will in fact, not be a F1 driver one day. She has a less then mediocre track record in motorsport and the only reason she is where she is, is that shes married to a williams shareholder and is a woman. She seems nice and all, but the fact that you have GP2 champions racing sports cars or indy cars while shes knocking around the F1 paddock annoys me!

The "and is a woman" bit is a bit much. Its really because of her relationship to Wolff that she is were she is. If he had a boyfriend that was a driver I'm sure the situation would be similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So it looks like Raikkonen is hitting the road at the end of next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Gintonious wrote: »
    So it looks like Raikkonen is hitting the road at the end of next year.

From Ferrari, or F1 altogether?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Myrddin wrote: »
    From Ferrari, or F1 altogether?

F1 by the looks of things:

Kimi Raikkonen likely to leave F1 when Ferrari deal ends after 2015

I'll be sad to see Kimi go, love him or hate him he's a true character. It's a shame he's been so anonymous this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

I'll be sad to see Kimi go, love him or hate him he's a true character. It's a shame he's been so anonymous this season.

It wasnt a bad comeback I guess, 2 wins was it? While he does nothing for me around the paddock and in interviews I love to watch him race. I dont think he had caused and accident since he came back has he? His awareness of cars around him is second to none!
    I think this was evident more then ever in a battle with Hamilton at Suzuka last year where a crash seemed a sure thing and somehow Kimi reacted and avoided it!!
    Found a video!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

It wasnt a bad comeback I guess, 2 wins was it? While he does nothing for me around the paddock and in interviews I love to watch him race. I dont think he had caused and accident since he came back has he? His awareness of cars around him is second to none!
    I think this was evident more then ever in a battle with Hamilton at Suzuka last year where a crash seemed a sure thing and somehow Kimi reacted and avoided it!!

He hit the wall in Abu Dhabi starting 22nd on the grid rather than the pit lane retiring after a collision at turn one.But Raikkonen had to retire after damaging his front-right suspension when he collided with Giedo van der Garde moments after the start.
    “There was some contact in front of me through the first corner so I stuck to the inside, but unfortunately one of the Caterhams touched my front wheel and it broke the track rod,” said Raikkonen.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/11/03/raikkonen-defends-grid-start-decision-after-crash/

anyway in other news

Raikkonen to skip Silverstone F1 test, Bianchi to test for Ferrari

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114869

wonder what ferrari will do if Bianchi matches Alonso?

Interesting, big chance for Bianchi to prove himself. When does Alonso's contract run out with Ferrari?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Interesting, big chance for Bianchi to prove himself. When does Alonso's contract run out with Ferrari?

The end of next season. 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Nothing.
    It would cost Ferrari too much to ditch one of their contracted drivers.

Ferrari designed a car around Alonso and he has so far failed to provide the goods.

Design one around Kimi's style and see who is where.

vectra wrote: »
    Design one around Kimi's style and see who is where.

icecream_anglia-pr_2378962i.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ferrari designed a car around Alonso and he has so far failed to provide the goods.
    Alonso has failed? Only so much you can do with a dog of a car year after year. Ferrari have failed far more.

Alonso has failed? Only so much you can do with a dog of a car year after year. Ferrari have failed far more.

I agree,
    But the car is designed more to Alonso's style.
    If you wanted to pick my post out in a different context then fair enough.

Wow, it would have been great to see how that car would have performed had Honda not pulled out. Really interesting stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I agree,
    But the car is designed more to Alonso's style.
    Who should they have designed the car to suit? Alonso is they're only performing and dependable driver of course they're going to build the car around him. It's not like it's going to be massively different than any of the other F1 cars either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Front / Rear interconnected suspension to be banned from Germany on unless all teams agree to leave it.
    This could make things interesting.

mickdw wrote: »
    Front / Rear interconnected suspension to be banned from Germany on unless all teams agree to leave it.
    This could make things interesting.

The FIA said there was a question mark over their legality which is not the same as banning.

The FIA however has opened up the possibility of one team protesting another.

The fact that Mercedes is believed to have the most complicated FRIC system and a system is used by most teams AND FRIC has been used since 2008 can only lead one to believe that this is a 'slow down' Mercedes plot.

Chances of ALL F1 teams agreeing on something ?? - stranger things have happened !

• Advertisement

Is everyone running some form of FRIC?

Is everyone running some form of FRIC?

It is believed so - its been around since 2008 - however the systems are believed to vary from rudimentary to complex.

Pirelli are testing 19" wheels at this test tomorrow I believe, should be interesting.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Who should they have designed the car to suit? Alonso is they're only performing and dependable driver of course they're going to build the car around him. It's not like it's going to be massively different than any of the other F1 cars either.

Well according to reports Ferrari are the only or one of the only teams running pullrod suspension instead of pushrod.

Alonso can cope with this but it is still a major factor in the lack of performance in the car.
    Pullrod is totally against kimis style of driving.
    Pullrod will not be in their next years car,
    They are coming to a solution of sorts that will help kimi this season.
    Lets see what happens. ;)

Well according to reports Ferrari are the only or one of the only teams running pullrod suspension instead of pushrod.

Alonso can cope with this but it is still a major factor in the lack of performance in the car.
    Pullrod is totally against kimis style of driving.
    Pullrod will not be in their next years car,
    They are coming to a solution of sorts that will help kimi this season.
    Lets see what happens. ;)

Not this crap again.

From another forum that hits the nail on the head.
    Alonso, hate him or love him - he is an absolute monster. Never gives up, fair but firm, in a dog of a car

Their design is limited inherently in the car, but Alonso gets everything from that car.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Not this crap again.

From another forum that hits the nail on the head.

Their design is limited inherently in the car, but Alonso gets everything from that car.

Apparently you know more than the ferrari team.
    Maybe you should give them a ring and tell them where they are going wrong.

Alonso gets more out of the car simply because the car is more suited and built to his liking

Do you honestly think Kimi has forgotten how to drive over the winter period?
    perhaps you can explain exactly why he is not getting on this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Alonso gets more out of the car simply because the car is more suited and built to his liking

This is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Do you honestly think Kimi has forgotten how to drive over the winter period?

No, but Kimi has always been a driver that needed the car to perform to his liking in order to be quick. Alonso is seemingly much more capable of adapting his style to get the most out of any car.

BsFq5dVCIAAa-iU.jpg:large

BsFsRB0CUAAodgU.jpg:large

This is nonsense.

You know this because?

I actually like the 18" wheels. Am I the only one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement