Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

vectra wrote: »
    Why dont they use Carbon fibre wheels?

I dont think there is a huge difference between the 2 density/weight wise...
    Would Carbon Fiber wheels be too brittle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I doubt they are 4 kg heavier overall as the tyre would now imo be significantly lighter as i would assume it's alot easier to build a low profile sidewall that can withstand f1 type loadings than the current profile which must be seriously reinforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Koenigsegg have started developing Carbon Fiber wheels for their one to one car. There seem to be a number of advantages but I suppose the big risk would always be shattering, being handmade could allow for some minor imperfections that would be exacerbated by the vibrations of the wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Koensigegg build their own
    5kg per wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

What’s in a tyre? Pirelli explain their thinking

'The new tyres were designed and built in accordance with Pirelli’s premium strategy in Milan. The key technical advantage of an 18-inch tyre is a stiffer sidewall that helps maintain the structural rigidity of the tyre and also makes it easier for the tyre to maintain a constant pressure – as there is less actual air inside the tyre. The new tyre is physically bigger, which makes it much more relevant to the Ultra High Performance tyres that are seen on the road, leading to greater technology transfer.

'The new tyres tested have the same width as the current 13-inch tyres (245mm at the front and 325mm at the rear) but a diameter that is bigger by 30mm. The weight is approximately the same as the 13-inch tyre, because although the diameter is bigger, there is a smaller sidewall. The total weight, including the rim, is around 4 kilograms heavier.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

And rumours of Sutil not with Sauber anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Gintonious wrote: »

Who are their reserve drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

OSI wrote: »
    van de Garde and Sirotkin I think.

Seen the other day it's Van De Garde who'll replace him. I like Van De Garde and think he'll do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

What's the reasoning for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Gillespy

He sounded like a broken man on the radio in Silverstone complaining about the brakes.

The car is genuinely terrible though, and they have no idea how to fix it. Good luck to anyone trying to get a result out of it.

Gintonious wrote: »

Hope this is true...can't stand the guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Guido destroyed the Sauber on his final stint at the Silverstone test... I doubt they're leaping to give him the job. Having said that he is supposed to do FP1 in Hockenheim. It's his first trip to the circuit in an F1 car, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

aphex™ wrote: »
    Guido destroyed the Sauber on his final stint at the Silverstone test... I doubt they're leaping to give him the job. Having said that he is supposed to do FP1 in Hockenheim. It's his first trip to the circuit in an F1 car, though.

Guido did as well as he could in the Caterham, he brings a lot of money to the team - if rumours are true this money is keeping Sauber afloat.

For whatever reason, Sauber are unable to attract investment yet Swiss investors have bought into Caterham...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Rumours going around that Sutil could be out as early as this weekend. He's crashed far too often this year, which is down to both him AND the car. Giedo must be bringing a lot of money to be able to cash-out Sutil mid-season. TO be honest, I never rated him as a driver. He's had some good performances, but what he was is what Hulkenberg is now. Except Hulkenberg is much better.

It would be awful for Sutil if he lost his seat just before his home Grand Prix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    It would be awful for Sutil if he lost his seat just before his home Grand Prix.

Didn't the same happen to Frentzen at Jordan?

No harm to see Sutil go.
    Never liked the smirky face on him, If he had a reason to smirk it would be one thing.Ha..

OSI wrote: »
    Never liked him. Reminds me of Perez and his cocky "I'm better than everybody else" attitude. Surprised anyone took Sutil on after his conviction tbh.

I remember reading somewhere at the time that there could be trouble getting visas for him to race in certain countries such as Japan, as it can be difficult to get around. I was surprised to see him back on the grid to be honest...

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Didn't the same happen to Frentzen at Jordan?

That's right. Frentzen was informed by fax that his service was no longer required by Jordan before the 2001 German GP.

That didn't go down to well with some fans, some who bought banners to the Hockenheim track which had nothing nice to say about EJ.

10481647_10152618523974874_6326554065115861817_o.jpg

Rosbergs helmet for this weekend.

Must admit, that's pretty terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭lolie

Looks like he won't be wearing it after fifa objected to it.
    'Fifa said plans by the Mercedes driver to use an image of the trophy would breach "intellectual property" rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Just saw this tweet from Rosberg:
    a shame,i would have loved to carry the trophy as a tribute to the guys.but of course I respect the legal situationBsvn2JCCEAArKDs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Why does it have VI if they've only won 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's his number, this year drivers are required to have their number on their helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

VI as in 6. Rosbergs number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Ah, never noticed it before. I thought it was specific to the World Cup design.

That's rosbergs race number...

Both Fisi and Trulli had the trophy on their helmets when Italy won, bit of doubt standards there.

d06fra743.jpg

s1_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Vettel getting caned in both practice sessions in his home race by his team mate. :o

vett_redb_hung_2010-23-470x313.jpg

Bs0zK43CEAA9nyr.jpg

Very radical rear wing on the McLaren this weekend. The side panels also have little winglets on them, never seen anything like this before though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

How can you not like this guy :D

dancing-ricciardo.gif

• Advertisement

The engineer wasn't too impressed, must be one of Vettels.

How can you not like this guy :D

dancing-ricciardo.gif

Ask the guy next to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

The wheel argument.

The wheel constitutes the largest and at times the heaviest amount of "un sprung" weight. It is outside the control of the designer in utilising as a benifit.

Tyre sidewall movement, again, a curse, a factor that the designer can not with any great accuracy dial into the suspension capability. Low profile reduces the sidewall movement and adds to the control

Then, the impact of increasing the weight of what is basically a flywheel on each corner. The centrifugal inertia both in driving and slowing creates an unnecessary loss, both in drive and braking.

The centre of the wheel can be used to increase air flow around the brake disc to achieve and maintain optimum temperatures.

Dial in the use of nitrogen to stabilize and maintain pressures...

Designer are very reluctant to add any part over which control withpn the whole suspension would contribute to critical mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

7,999 post ^^^^. Congrats in advance on 8k.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Ask the guy next to him?

:D

Anyone know who he is? Surely it cant be one of Vettles guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I think the 18"s look too big. 17"s or even 16''s I think would be a better place to start from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The question is whether 18" wheels (or whichever size) and their development can help road cars in the long-term. We'll see what Formula E can do with the Michelin 18" tyres but I trust their angle will be for rolling resistance performance/sustainability angle. I've a feeling that any development in tyres by any manufacturer will look to try and transfer that knowledge directly to a the market - so whoever has the relevant supplier contract for F1 will probably like to have similar sized wheels to road cars purely for a marketing perspective.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Anyone know who he is? Surely it cant be one of Vettles guys.
    Simon Rennie, his race engineer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Gillespy wrote: »
    Simon Rennie, his race engineer.

commentators referenced it in FP3, on going game between him and his engineer seemingly. Ric trying to make him laugh, Simon trying to remain deadpan.

commentators referenced it in FP3, on going game between him and his engineer seemingly. Ric trying to make him laugh, Simon trying to remain deadpan.

Hehe that's deadly. :D

:)

10409270_748551295203158_3972118541855798098_n.png

picture.php?albumid=1328&pictureid=14363

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You would have thought Venezuela would have run out of money for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

This seems as good a place as any - has anybody been to Monza before and have they any tips? Just booked flights for that weekend, looking at the rest of the itinerary over the next few days

• Advertisement
Advertisement