Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Zcott wrote: »
    Actually, related to this: does anyone think we should bring back the green lights? The argument in favour of removing them was that they were too slow to change from red to green and there was confusion as to when the green light went on. But with LED technology now becoming commonplace in traffic lights, there's no delay between red and green and they're instant.

'Lights Outs and lights back on again and AWAY WE GOOO!!!' dosnt have the same ring to it though:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Actually, related to this: does anyone think we should bring back the green lights? The argument in favour of removing them was that they were too slow to change from red to green and there was confusion as to when the green light went on. But with LED technology now becoming commonplace in traffic lights, there's no delay between red and green and they're instant.

Ah the green light at the start of a race. The last time that happened was at the 1995 Australian GP:

I love those old skool on screen graphics too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Classic 90s F1! That was a great race too, Hill winning by two laps, Panis nursing a sick Ligier, Morbidelli finishing third and Coulthard hitting the wall on the pit entry...

Classic 90s F1! That was a great race too, Hill winning by two laps, Panis nursing a sick Ligier, Morbidelli finishing third and Coulthard hitting the wall on the pit entry...

Frentzen giving the middle finger to Mark Blundell too.

Morbidelli was the last driver with a car powered by a Hart engine to make it to the podium.

It was the last GP Pacific took part in before closing down.

F1 said goodbye to Adelaide.

F1 back on this weekend at Spa Francorchamps. Woohoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭christy c

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    F1 back on this weekend at Spa Francorchamps. Woohoo!

Yeah I saw an ad for it at the weekend, couldn't believe it! I was having withdrawal symptoms for the first week but I suppose after that the drug left my system the last two weeks flew by. Bring it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

8 races to go, I've a horrible feeling the title will be decided by this double points farce. I've really enjoyed the season so far but it could do with a bit more direct Hamilton Rosberg racing, it's all been luck, mechanical issues, poor decision making that has split them in the last 5/6 races (and Melbourne), not enough of one of Lewis or Nico out racing the other in a straight fight.

The last two months have set it up nicely though, I'm hoping for Lewis to win it; he's marginally faster but Nico is smarter. I'm not suggesting they are on the same level as Senna and Prost but this is probably the closest we've come to the Senna-Prost McLaren partnership in terms of having two excellent drivers in the standout car. We've had plenty of standout cars since then but usually with one driver consistently outperforming the other.

I'm hoping for Lewis to win it; he's marginally faster but Nico is smarter.

I don't know, we've seen Rosberg quicker than Hamilton, but just couldnt pass due to Lewis's driving.

I'm hoping for Lewis to win it; he's marginally faster but Nico is smarter.

I don't know, we've seen Rosberg quicker than Hamilton, but just couldnt pass due to Lewis's driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The last two months have set it up nicely though, I'm hoping for Lewis to win it; he's marginally faster but Nico is smarter.
    I think that's a fair assessment, but in a wheel to wheel battle I'd give it to Hamilton.
    I'm not suggesting they are on the same level as Senna and Prost but this is probably the closest we've come to the Senna-Prost McLaren partnership in terms of having two excellent drivers in the standout car.
    I often wonder about that, the fact is today's drivers are benefiting from the work and knowledge of those great drivers. They've built themselves in the image of the likes of Senna, Schumacher, and have a deeper knowledge than those guys would have had thanks to scientific knowledge..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Gillespy

OSI wrote: »
    Any time Rosberg and Hamilton have been fighting it out for position on the track, Rosberg has been on the quicker tyre and Hamilton still came out on top.

Which is surprising seeing as he is the smarter driver. He should outfox Hamilton easily. Or is he not passing by choice, is he thinking of the championship?

I don't buy the smarter thing at all, he can speak half a dozen languages but he bottles it when he has to pass Hamilton. He is relying on Hamilton's poor fortune, that's the only reason he is 11 points clear. Hamilton has shown in the last few races he isn't going to throw in the towel. He beat him last year and I expect the same this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Gillespy wrote: »
    Which is surprising seeing as he is the smarter driver. He should outfox Hamilton easily. Or is he not passing by choice, is he thinking of the championship?

I don't buy the smarter thing at all, he can speak half a dozen languages but he bottles it when he has to pass Hamilton.

Agreed, I'm not sure where this notion of Rosberg being smarter, and how this will effect the season, came from. At the end of the day they are racing... and IMO Hamilton is the better racer of the pair. This has been proved on a bunch of occasions, as OSI pointed out, where Hamilton was in front at a disadvantage but still came out P1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

By smarter I mean he's far less likely to end up doing something rash than Lewis is, maybe smarter is not the right word but he's that bit more composed. Q3 in Silverstone kind of illustrates what I'm trying to say; Nico stayed out whereas Lewis abandoned his lap, Lewis can make bad decisions every now and then.

Could be argued something similar happened in Canada; they have an identical problem, yet Lewis is the one who brings the car back into the garage whereas Nico nurses his one home to a podium position. My memory is a little hazy now but did Lewis absolutely have to retire at that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Joemcn95

Hamilton fan since I've been following F1, But really don't mind who wins this as long as its competitive to the end and isn't decided by double points.

Joemcn95 wrote: »
    Hamilton fan since I've been following F1, But really don't mind who wins this as long as its competitive to the end and isn't decided by double points.

I wouldn't mind if the championship was decided at a classic track like Interlagos.

Joemcn95 wrote: »
    The double points could keep things interesting or it might not matter at all. If Hamiltons run of bad luck continues he could be forced out of the championship for reliability issues making the last race a procession where he can't win anymore and might not bother trying too hard (although I think Hamilton would try to win any race he takes part in regardless of championship standings).

I'm reserving judgement on it until I see how it pans out. Despite a lot of people having complaints about this year, I think overall based on the exciting races we've had this year that the new regulations and rules are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Joemcn95

Not sure if this has been done before but decided to see how many championships would have been effected if the double points rule had come into effect ten years ago.

Actual Points 2013
    1 Sebastian Vettel German Red Bull Racing-Renault 397
    2 Fernando Alonso Spanish Ferrari 242
    Double Points
    1 Sebastian Vettel German Red Bull Racing-Renault 422
    2 Fernando Alonso Spanish Ferrari 257

Actual Points 2012
    1 Sebastian Vettel German Red Bull Racing-Renault 281
    2 Fernando Alonso Spanish Ferrari 278
    Double Points
    2 Sebastian Vettel German Red Bull Racing-Renault 289
    **1 Fernando Alonso Spanish Ferrari 296

Actual Points 2011
    1 Sebastian Vettel German Red Bull Racing-Renault 392
    2 Jenson Button British McLaren-Mercedes 270
    Double Points
    1 Sebastian Vettel German Red Bull Racing-Renault 410
    2 Jenson Button British McLaren-Mercedes 285

Actual Points 2010
    1 Sebastian Vettel German RBR-Renault 256
    2 Fernando Alonso Spanish Ferrari 252
    Double Points
    1 Sebastian Vettel German RBR-Renault 281
    2 Fernando Alonso Spanish Ferrari 258

Actual Points 2009
    1 Jenson Button British Brawn-Mercedes 95
    2 Sebastian Vettel German RBR-Renault 84
    Double Points
    1 Jenson Button British Brawn-Mercedes 101
    2 Sebastian Vettel German RBR-Renault 94

Actual Points 2008
    1 Lewis Hamilton British McLaren-Mercedes 98
    2 Felipe Massa Brazilian Ferrari 97
    Double Points
    2 Lewis Hamilton British McLaren-Mercedes 102
    **1 Felipe Massa Brazilian Ferrari 107

Actual Points 2007
    1 Kimi Räikkönen Finnish Ferrari 110
    2 Lewis Hamilton British McLaren-Mercedes 109
    Double Points
    1 Kimi Räikkönen Finnish Ferrari 120
    2 Lewis Hamilton British McLaren-Mercedes 111

Actual Points 2006
    1 Fernando Alonso Spanish Renault 134
    2 Michael Schumacher German Ferrari 121
    Double Points
    1 Fernando Alonso Spanish Renault 142
    2 Michael Schumacher German Ferrari 126

Actual Points 2005
    1 Fernando Alonso Spanish Renault 133
    2 Kimi Räikkönen Finnish McLaren-Mercedes 112
    Double Points
    1 Fernando Alonso Spanish Renault 143
    2 Kimi Räikkönen Finnish McLaren-Mercedes 120

Actual Points 2004
    1 Michael Schumacher German Ferrari 148
    2 Rubens Barrichello Brazilian Ferrari 114
    Double Points
    1 Michael Schumacher German Ferrari 150
    2 Rubens Barrichello Brazilian Ferrari 120

Actual Points 2003
    1 Michael Schumacher German Ferrari 93
    2 Kimi Räikkönen Finnish McLaren-Mercedes 91
    Double Points
    2 Michael Schumacher German Ferrari 94
    **1 Kimi Räikkönen Finnish McLaren-Mercedes 99

We would have Massa a world champ, Alonso a triple world champ and Raikkonen 2 time champ.

All info taken from formula1 .com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Meaning hamilton would not be a world champ. Vettel would be tripple world champ and schumi would have one less as well.
    Very interesting data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115433

Well, I wasn't expecting this. Clearly a good driver though and I would feel for Kamui if he gets the boot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Surprised nobody has mentioned Max Verstappen is ousting Vergne for next season at Torro Rosso!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Will be youngest ever, only turning 17 next month.

I wonder will Vergne still be on the grid next year, Red Bulls academy has a habit of just chewing up drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'd say he'll find somewhere. I doubt Sauber want to hang onto the misfiring Sutil for 2015.

Isnt Grosjean on the move also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Gintonious wrote: »
    I wonder will Vergne still be on the grid next year, Red Bulls academy has a habit of just chewing up drivers.

At least they had the courtesy to announce it early this time and not wait till the middle of December like what they did to Buemi and Alguersuari.

At least they had the courtesy to announce it early this time and not wait till the middle of December like what they did to Buemi and Alguersuari.

Didnt they do something similar to Felix DaCosta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Considering there was nothing between himself and Ricciardo last season then he really should get a decent drive no bother.

He'd be a good addition to any team, so hopefully he'll end up somewhere mid grid.

Also, Lotterer seems to be an odd choice given that he last drove an F1 car around ten years ago...

He'd be a good addition to any team, so hopefully he'll end up somewhere mid grid.

Also, Lotterer seems to be an odd choice given that he last drove an F1 car around ten years ago...

Agreed, LeMans winner or not, its really odd to drop him in like that, money talks I guess.

• Advertisement

Agreed, LeMans winner or not, its really odd to drop him in like that, money talks I guess.

Apparently it's a done deal. Press release this evening. Seems very odd indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I'd say he'll find somewhere. I doubt Sauber want to hang onto the misfiring Sutil for 2015.

Sergey Sirotkin and Simona De Silvestro are "next years" (assuming there will be a next year) Sauber drivers. I'd rather see Vergne in than Sirotkin though. The lad's pure shíte in comparison to the current F1 standard.
    Considering there was nothing between himself and Ricciardo last season then he really should get a decent drive no bother.

Ricciardo is a far better driver than Vergne though! I've been following Ricciardo since his WSR days.

Daniel S wrote: »
    Sergey Sirotkin and Simona De Silvestro are "next years" (assuming there will be a next year) Sauber drivers. I'd rather see Vergne in than Sirotkin though. The lad's pure shíte in comparison to the current F1 standard.

I don't think Vergne is a pay driver at all, so he might have to bring funds with him if he wants to drive for Sauber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I don't think Vergne is a pay driver at all, so he might have to bring funds with him if he wants to drive for Sauber.

One way or another, Sauber need pay drivers. Red Bull drivers typically aren't, but pick up sponsorship along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Daniel S wrote: »
    Ricciardo is a far better driver than Vergne though! I've been following Ricciardo since his WSR days.

I dunno if I'd go that far. He was my pick of the two, but it's not like JEV was far behind. Given what a revelation Ricciardo has been that must surely be an indication that JEV is above average at least.

Announcement on Lotter delayed until tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Announcement on Lotter delayed until tomorrow.

Maybe somebody has reminded Caterham that there is a limit on the number of driver changes in a season.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭christy c

Infoanon wrote: »
    Maybe somebody has reminded Caterham that there is a limit on the number of driver changes in a season.....

Is there a limit or a joke I don't get?

I think its to do with his super license, which for a 3 time LeMans winner, I would have imagined he had already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

christy c wrote: »
    Is there a limit or a joke I don't get?

There is a limit on the number of drivers a team can run.The current limit is 4 per team (and 2 additional drivers in testing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

mickdw wrote: »
    Meaning hamilton would not be a world champ. Vettel would be tripple world champ and schumi would have one less as well.
    Very interesting data.
    Not surprising that Hamilton would have missed out. Brazil is one of his weakest tracks. He lost the championship there in 2007 and got incredibly lucky on his final lap in 2008 to finish 5th. In all I think he has had 1 podium finish (3rd).

That's my problem with double points. It unfairly penalises drivers that might have a weakness at one particular circuit.

• Advertisement

Lotterer confirmed.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Poor Kamui, even he couldn't shine in that dog of a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I think they're desperately hoping it rains and they can draw on his experience at Spa to get them their first points. It's a great strategic move, but I don't think Kamui should be getting the boot for this race because I think he's a better more experienced driver than Erricson, but he's a pay driver so I'd say that's why they've given him the drive.

I don't know why but I always liked Kamui, it's especially annoying when that bollix Maldonado gets to keep crashing F1 cars into things.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know why but I always liked Kamui, it's especially annoying when that bollix Maldonado gets to keep crashing F1 cars into things.

Given half the chance, Kamui will go for a move...remember him at Sauber? Brilliant stuff, & everyone warmed to him. The problem for him is, he needs half a chance...& Caterham can't give him that. Money > Skill unfortunately demonstrated again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Myrddin wrote: »
    Given half the chance, Kamui will go for a move...remember him at Sauber? Brilliant stuff, & everyone warmed to him. The problem for him is, he needs half a chance...& Caterham can't give him that. Money < Skill unfortunately demonstrated again.

That is exactly what has happened here. Kamui was driving for free to if I am not mistaken. Without money in F1 today your career will go nowhere. It is slowly but surely bringing the sport down. The quality of drivers will start to drop further as teams are forced to continue to take on the highest payer as opposed to the best driver.

Look at Chilton, he may as well be driving around the tracks in a Renault Clio for all the difference he makes. He is there for one reason only... Money. Sad reality of todays F1.

I'd be all for a slight relaxation in spending limit cuts for teams, in favour of a ban on paid driver scenarios. It's prob never gonna happen though, & even if it does, I'm sure there'd be a way around it as is always the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'd be all for a slight relaxation in spending limit cuts for teams, in favour of a ban on paid driver scenarios. It's prob never gonna happen though, & even if it does, I'm sure there'd be a way around it as is always the case.

Very few drivers have ever paid for a drive. Sponsors will sponsor a team on the basis that a driver is driving for that team, it is a necessary part of financing the sport and trying to restrict it would be restricting companies in deciding who they can sponsor which probably wouldn't be possible and would drive revenue out of the sport.

You could even argue that Alonso is a pay driver, Santander have said they will sponsor whoever he drives for. Unfortunately for the lesser teams, who sponsors a driver is more important than how good they are.

GarIT wrote: »
    Very few drivers have ever paid for a drive. Sponsors will sponsor a team on the basis that a driver is driving for that team, it is a necessary part of financing the sport and trying to restrict it would be restricting companies in deciding who they can sponsor which probably wouldn't be possible and would drive revenue out of the sport.

You could even argue that Alonso is a pay driver, Santander have said they will sponsor whoever he drives for. Unfortunately for the lesser teams, who sponsors a driver is more important than how good they are.

Indeed, but whatever way you look at it we've a naturally talented & exciting driver giving up his seat for a driver who hasn't sat in an F1 car for a decade. It's not right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement