Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Buttons biggest help was the fact that that his rivals all kept taking points off each other in the last 10 races.

After Buttons last win in Turkey:

Vettel won 3 races
    Hamilton won 2
    Webber won 2
    Barrichello won 2
    Kimi won 1

Hamilton and Kimi really hindered the rest of the title rivals. Consistently on the podium at the expense of those closer to Button. Not trying to take anything away from Button. He had a cross of luck and consistent point-scoring which is what every driver needs to win a Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The management of the sport are constantly looking for ways to make the sport more interesting and get more people watching etc, so I've a few proposals to see what everyone thinks.

The current driver system could be replaced with a draft system. Before each season all the drivers join a pool of drivers where the only requirement is to have a super licence. Each team then picks their first driver from the pool starting with the constructor with the highest points from the previous year. After all the first drivers are picked the same is done for the second drivers and then the test/reserve drivers. Each team is required to have three drivers, a driver can only be replaced by the official third driver. Drivers get paid a base wage of £100k + £50k for every point they score, all drivers would be under contract to F1 management and not the teams, but wages would be paid for by the teams. This setup would add much more variety to teams and reduce the affect of pay drivers massively, it would also mean good up and coming drivers (e.g Hulk, Bottas and Bianchi) get promoted through the ranks much quicker.

Points could be awarded for every position. A lot of teams have been giving up mid race this season as it is better to save the engines, there is also the issue where Sauber have been consistently better than Caterham but don't have much to show for it.

The drivers championship could be awarded every 2 or even 4 years so that accidents and failures don't cost anyone the championship and consistent driving over a long period of time is more important than having the fastest car for one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

GarIT wrote: »
    Points could be awarded for every position. A lot of teams have been giving up mid race this season as it is better to save the engines, there is also the issue where Sauber have been consistently better than Caterham but don't have much to show for it.

I think this is a good idea, and it's the reason why the points were extended down to 10th place. But if everyone gets a point it becomes a bit worthless. Most teams will be able to scrape a point at some point in the year (Marussia this year, for example) and they have to be hard to get otherwise there's no real incentive to get them.

However, to address the broader question, does F1 really need livened up? This season has been fantastic watching and I don't think anyone would disagree with that. The last few years have been slightly repetitive but the guy responsible for all those (Adrian Newey) is stepping back this year. Red Bull have been slowed this year with a duff engine and that's probably no bad thing for the sake of F1. But realistically, F1 is very healthy right now and a lot of people will be tuning in.

The real problem with F1 at the moment is broadcasting, and moving almost everything to pay TV is a real problem with dwindling viewer figures and exorbitant ticket prices, and no online presence at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Myrddin wrote: »
    In fairness the Brawns had a pretty decent advantage, not to the same extent mind, but once the other teams caught up, the wining streak ended. Where Button impressed in 2009 was by being massively consistent, & coping with the intense pressure on him leading up towards the end of the season. He also had some great battles on track. When you say not all about catching the eye, I agree, & I've already said Rosberg is a strong, consistent driver...but still a middling one for me.

If you look at the first 7 races the gap from Brawn to Red Bull in quali was 0.3, 0.1 (Barrichello only 4th), Vettel pole, Trulli pole, 0.15, 0.025, Vettel pole. While fuel loads made some difference, Button was able to hit his marks time after time without looking spectacular. With the car Mercedes have they should be absolutely dominating every race.
    So far this season Rosberg is doing what needs to be done and gets criticised while Hamilton catches the eye with barging past people but lying second in the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Zcott wrote: »
    I think this is a good idea, and it's the reason why the points were extended down to 10th place. But if everyone gets a point it becomes a bit worthless. Most teams will be able to scrape a point at some point in the year (Marussia this year, for example) and they have to be hard to get otherwise there's no real incentive to get them.

I think it's a good idea too. I think rather then being pointless if everyone gets points, it allows for a true reflection of midfield/backmarker team battles as opposed to the current system, which rewards tenth place & up...a veritable dream for certain teams. Yes Marussia got some points this year, but only because of the anomaly that is Monaco...in a normal situation I can't see them scoring points. But with a points battle that extends right the way down the field, it might make things like finding sponsors etc maybe that bit easier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

So far this season Rosberg is doing what needs to be done and gets criticised while Hamilton catches the eye with barging past people but lying second in the championship.
    Hamilton hasn't taken anybody out of first place and caused them to retire though has he?

If you look at the first 7 races the gap from Brawn to Red Bull in quali was 0.3, 0.1 (Barrichello only 4th), Vettel pole, Trulli pole, 0.15, 0.025, Vettel pole. While fuel loads made some difference, Button was able to hit his marks time after time without looking spectacular. With the car Mercedes have they should be absolutely dominating every race.

I remember the '09 season alright, but individual quali results from that year not I'm afraid :o I'll take your word for it, but from memory, the Brawns had a decent advantage form the get go that lasted a while. I wouldn't put much stock in Barrichello's results in the Brawn, never really rated him at all (though admittedly I'm only watching since '08).

Regards Nico & him doing what needs to be done. I'm not so sure, he's shown a noticeable reluctance for wheel to wheel racing at times throughout the season. And the one time he tries it, he fluffed it (and got away with it). I still maintain if Hamiltons car held together half as well as Nico's does, it would be Nico chasing Lewis in the table. Sure it's a what-if scenario, but the amount of technical issues Lewis has had isn't reflected in the points imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

What would the winner get if all cars get points? Caterham and Sauber don't deserve any points for the car they've produced this season. Marussia have a better car and gem in Bianci so are always in a position to capitalize on a crazy race.
    Rosberg would have more wins and be further ahead if he was in the kind of form Button was in 09. You cannot ignore 3 DNFs and 2 qualification ruined for Hamilton. Button himself has said he has never seen such rotten luck. In light of that and the great car he has, 29 point lead isn't great.

Gillespy wrote: »
    What would the winner get if all cars get points? Caterham and Sauber don't deserve any points for the car they've produced this season. Marussia have a better car and gem in Bianci so are always in a position to capitalize on a crazy race.

The points up the front would obviously have to be bigger, but still proportional. I think giving lesser teams gives them further incentive to fight, & could even help attract sponsorship/money if the team can show it's competitive against similar grade cars.
    Rosberg would have more wins and be further ahead if he was in the kind of form Button was in 09. You cannot ignore 3 DNFs and 2 qualification ruined for Hamilton. Button himself has said he has never seen such rotten luck. In light of that and the great car he has, 29 point lead isn't great.

My thoughts exactly. A DNF for Nico & a win for Lewis pretty much evens things back up again, & that's all despite a huge offset in reliability for Hamilton. If you ask me, Rosberg could have been in a better position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Hamilton hasn't taken anybody out of first place and caused them to retire though has he?

He has indeed.

Ironic that Rosberg also hits Hamilton.

Gintonious wrote: »

He has indeed.

Ironic that Rosberg also hits Hamilton.

I was talking about this year so a video from 5 or 6 years ago isn't relevant relevant...
    Rosberg makes his first attempt at being a more aggressive wheel towhees racer and it ends in disaster... For Hamilton as usual. Rosberg gets away with murder!

I was talking about this year obviously. Don't see how a video from 5 or 6 years ago is relevant...
    Rosberg makes his first attempt at being a more aggressive wheel towhees racer and it ends in disaster... For Hamilton as usual. Rosberg gets away with murder!

Well you never stated that it was for just this year. I wasn't trying to wind you up or anything.

I see it being relevant in that it shows Hamilton isn't immune from making silly mistakes, and is no angel either.

Also what other murder has Rosberg gotten away with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

However, to address the broader question, does F1 really need livened up? This season has been fantastic watching and I don't think anyone would disagree with that. The last few years have been slightly repetitive but the guy responsible for all those (Adrian Newey) is stepping back this year. Red Bull have been slowed this year with a duff engine and that's probably no bad thing for the sake of F1. But realistically, F1 is very healthy right now and a lot of people will be tuning in.

This season doesn't need much livening up, but FOM are still looking at ways to do it. Although I much prefer Sky, I would say it is having a negative impact on the sport. Something that I've hard before that could be a good idea would be if FOM offered all the races for €5 each (or less if you pay for the whole season together) on their website.

I think a better system for the sport would be to give points to every car that finishes. You then might need to give extra incentives for the higher places for example, the points go from 1 for 22nd place to 22 for 1st place and then go give a 5 point bonus for finishing on the same lap as the leader, 5 points for finishing in the top 10, 5 points for finishing in the top 3 and 5 points for finishing 1st. It doesn't have to be exactly like that but something similar.

Well you never stated that it was for just this year. I wasn't trying to wind you up or anything.

I see it being relevant in that it shows Hamilton isn't immune from making silly mistakes, and is no angel either.

Also what other murder has Rosberg gotten away with?

That was a long time ago for Hamilton in fairness. Who was battling at the sharp end of the grid on his first few years (obviously he wasn't battling in that particular video :P)

As for rosberg there was blasting through the chicane in Canada at full speed when he missed the corner to break Hamiltons drs. The suspect running off the track in Monaco. I'm sure there are others which escape me at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This Rosberg/Hamilton controversy is probably the best thing that could have happened to the sport though. It means headlines in the media, and debate that never ends.

That was a long time ago for Hamilton in fairness. Who was battling at the sharp end of the grid on his first few years (obviously he wasn't battling in that particular video :P)

As for rosberg there was blasting through the chicane in Canada at full speed when he missed the corner to break Hamiltons drs. The suspect running off the track in Monaco. I'm sure there are others which escape me at the moment.

Well the "suspect" incident in Monaco was put to bed, the only one who keeps the suspicion about it is Hamilton, the FIA went through the data and found there was nothing to press about.

The Canada race was an interesting one to me. I think it was a Joe Saward article that said both cars had the same issue, but Nico controlled it better than Hamilton and brought the car home in one piece.

I always said to myself that this season would have been great without the Mercs, we would have some great racing for race wins (rather than 3rd). The more I watch, I realise the reality is we would have probably actually seen Ricciardo run away with the championship even easier than the Mercs currently are.

The Canada race was an interesting one to me. I think it was a Joe Saward article that said both cars had the same issue, but Nico controlled it better than Hamilton and brought the car home in one piece.

He was told to put his brake bias forward I think. Merc admitted afterwards they could have done more to salvage something for Hamilton. Hamilton had just gained the lead but was in Nico's dirty air until then which didn't help his cause either. And to be honest, it was more a reflection on their dominance or the lack of challenge from the rest that only one car passed him when he was so handicapped.

• Advertisement

Wasn't Rosberg told to put his brake bias forward after Hamilton's exploded? Hamilton I think brakes later, so could be harder on brakes...it wasn't a matter of 'controlling it better' imo

Wasn't Rosberg told to put his brake bias forward after Hamilton's exploded? Hamilton I think brakes later, so could be harder on brakes...it wasn't a matter of 'controlling it better' imo

Yea I believe this to be the case... I think Rosberg runs more front bias due to his driving style. Once Hamiltons rears went they knew Rosberg could bring it home if he went all the way forward with his bias

Hamiltons brakes were cooked from chasing Rosberg who had the same issue, when he jumped him in the pit stop window. And Rosberg still had to nurse the car home with an injured car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Basil3 wrote: »
    I always said to myself that this season would have been great without the Mercs, we would have some great racing for race wins (rather than 3rd). The more I watch, I realise the reality is we would have probably actually seen Ricciardo run away with the championship even easier than the Mercs currently are.

Funnily enough, if that were the case, Sauber would actually have points - 4 for Sutil (9th in Australia and Hungary) and Gutierrez (10th in Australia). Ericsson would also have 2 points courtesy of a 9th place in Monaco, but Kamui would still be on 0, as would Chilton, while Maldonado would have 1 point from Austria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

It doesn't matter what position the person you hit is in.
    And Rosberg only gave him a puncture! Driving too fast with it caused the rest of the damage!! :D

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what position the person you hit is in.
    And Rosberg only gave him a puncture! Driving too fast with it caused the rest of the damage!! :D

Only gave him a puncture :rolleyes: ...which left him over 100 seconds off the lead by the time he made it back around the longest track on the calender...

• Advertisement

Only gave him a puncture :rolleyes: ...which left him over 100 seconds off the lead by the time he made it back around the longest track on the calender...
    You miss the point. The act itself should be and is what is judget. The result of the action shouldn't be. Rosberg didn't set out to destroy Hamilton's car, spread debris all over the track, put drivers in danger, that was a product of an act.
    Deliberately crashing into a wall to bring out a safety car is a different matter.

You miss the point. The act itself should be and is what is judget. The result of the action shouldn't be. Rosberg didn't set out to destroy Hamilton's car, spread debris all over the track, put drivers in danger, that was a product of an act.
    Deliberately crashing into a wall to bring out a safety car is a different matter.
    I disagree...the consequences of the act have to be taken into account. And whether the victim or the person who causes the incident is affected worse.

Someone mentioned a few pages back that Hamilton bumped a few people in Hockenheim... No damage which affected anyones race following the incident was caused... no problems. Again at Spa, Alonso hit Vettle, damaged his car, cost himself a place, Vettle had no damage and continued on... No harm done to a third party, no need for the stewards to look into it...which they didn't!

In the case of Rosberg at Spa, he caused the incident, got away with it with little issues, scored 18 championship points to Hamiltons tally of 0. Hamilton on the other hand...the victim of Rosbergs clumsy driving lost an opportunity to score 25 points and regain the lead of the championship (maybe, we'll never know) through no fault of his own.

Based on this how can you judge the act without looking at the consequences?

He wouldn't be the first to rush back to the pits a bit too fast, resulting in floor damage...he won't be the last either. Kinda hard to have a light foot when you're nearest rival is getting away form you at 150+mph I'd say.

I disagree...the consequences of the act have to be taken into account. And whether the victim or the person who causes the incident is affected worse.

Someone mentioned a few pages back that Hamilton bumped a few people in Hockenheim... No damage which affected anyones race following the incident was caused... no problems. Again at Spa, Alonso hit Vettle, damaged his car, cost himself a place, Vettle had no damage and continued on... No harm done to a third party, no need for the stewards to look into it...which they didn't!

In the case of Rosberg at Spa, he caused the incident, got away with it with little issues, scored 18 championship points to Hamiltons tally of 0. Hamilton on the other hand...the victim of Rosbergs clumsy driving lost an opportunity to score 25 points and regain the lead of the championship (maybe, we'll never know) through no fault of his own.

Based on this how can you judge the act without looking at the consequences?
    Consequences are never factored in. Alonso vs Vettel was seen as a racing incident, regardless of places lost or gained between them. If you're a donkey and you plough into a corner with not a care in the world of the outcome, then you get reprimanded, and the result of your actions aren't taken into effect either. Your initial act is what was deemed the violation of the rules.
    There is no rule that says "you must not do something that causes another driver to lose a potential 25 points".
    The way you're talking then you have a completely different rule system, where lets say Alonso rammed the back of Vettel, and there was no immediate damage, and they gave Alonso a 5 second stop-go penalty, then later Vettels rear wing breaks off causing him to go backwards into a tyre wall and taking out some other driver in the process, they should subsequently call back in Alonso for another penalty? That's silly.
    You look at the incident, the result is not important as far as the penalty is concerned.

He wouldn't be the first to rush back to the pits a bit too fast, resulting in floor damage...he won't be the last either. Kinda hard to have a light foot when you're nearest rival is getting away form you at 150+mph I'd say.
    For sure he isn't, and if I were in his shoes I'd probably have driven too fast too, but Donnelly's point of punishing Rosberg further because of that is nonsense.

• Advertisement

Toto and Nikki had practically the whole race to cool down and gather their thoughts but they were absolutely incandescent when Ted spoke to them and you say it was nothing.

Don't confuse racing that sometimes costs a bit of endplate with a clumbsy move that warrants a change of front wing and puts the other car out of the race.

Toto and Nikki had practically the whole race to cool down and gather their thoughts but they were absolutely incandescent when Ted spoke to them and you say it was nothing.

Don't confuse racing that sometimes costs a bit of endplate with a clumbsy move that warrants a change of front wing and puts the other car out of the race.
    I'm not saying it was nothing. For the team, it was major. For the stewards and the law makers and keepers, it was minor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

GarIT wrote: »
    The management of the sport are constantly looking for ways to make the sport more interesting and get more people watching etc, so I've a few proposals to see what everyone thinks.

The current driver system could be replaced with a draft system. Before each season all the drivers join a pool of drivers where the only requirement is to have a super licence. Each team then picks their first driver from the pool starting with the constructor with the highest points from the previous year. After all the first drivers are picked the same is done for the second drivers and then the test/reserve drivers....

The drivers championship could be awarded every 2 or even 4 years so that accidents and failures don't cost anyone the championship and consistent driving over a long period of time is more important than having the fastest car for one year.

No way would this work. (imo)
    For a start having the winning constructor have first pick of a pool of drivers will mean that the best will be picked first and so forth. By the time the last team in the constructors championship gets to pick, the "runts of the litter" so to speak, will be left. This will create a very one sided championship in the sense that a poorer team will never get the opportunity to get a good driver. Also I think that a good driver will be more difficult to spot in lesser teams and the divide between the top 4 and the rest will be even greater.

You could argue that presently, this is the situation with the rich teams having the best drivers. Well, yes, this is the case but teams are in full control of who they want to drive for them and how much they get paid.
    Understandably, you would like to lessen the void between the rich and poorer teams but I think there will always be a differential. At present there is a choice for teams to pick and choose drivers as they see fit. The draught situation wouldn't work because

Having a c'ship spread over more than one year isn't any good imo either. I for one would want to watch a c'ship over one season and one season only as I would forget what happened in the previous years.
    Thinks like the world cup(s) in soccer and rugby are held in a calendar year, albeit every 4 years. It adds to the prestige of the event. But a WC is different to a c'ship and is unfair to compare them.

For sure he isn't, and if I were in his shoes I'd probably have driven too fast too, but Donnelly's point of punishing Rosberg further because of that is nonsense.

Where did I mention punishing Rosberg anywhere? :confused:

BBC are running this story about Button, its the first one I have read where it mentions retirement and about how uncertain his future is.

I think it would be a shame for him to completely go, he has a few years left in him yet I think. Although, this article also mentions that McLaren are still after Alonso, and is written by Andrew Benson, who isn't the may west when it comes to this sort of stuff.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/28952174

BBC are running this story about Button, its the first one I have read where it mentions retirement and about how uncertain his future is.

I think it would be a shame for him to completely go, he has a few years left in him yet I think. Although, this article also mentions that McLaren are still after Alonso, and is written by Andrew Benson, who isn't the may west when it comes to this sort of stuff.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/28952174

There have been a few stories this year about Button possibly retiring, but the other option was to go to Williams and Bottas would go to McLaren.

Also, that article says McLaren are after Alonso....didn't he just re-sign with Ferrari recently?

There have been a few stories this year about Button possibly retiring, but the other option was to go to Williams and Bottas would go to McLaren.

Also, that article says McLaren are after Alonso....didn't he just re-sign with Ferrari recently?

He resigned last year I think, for an extra 2 years I believe.

I do think Alonso will stick around with Ferrari, the main rumour is that Honda want him in the car and are trying to woo him over, but I don't think it will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Santan

that would bring him to 2015, if you were in merc's garage, would you be thinking about alonso and rosberg for 2016, or will alonso be past his prime by then, if merc are as strong next year, if i was alonso it would be a chance for the 3rd title, i dont think its going to happen for him at ferrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Joe Saward has hinted on his blog that there may changes at Ferrari. ...

Infoanon wrote: »
    Joe Saward has hinted on his blog that there may changes at Ferrari. ...

I think that he was referring to changes in the backroom staff though, no?

Personally I don't see Alonso leaving Ferrari, he has the team around him now and is comprehensively beating Raikkonen all season. I would also imagine that if he desperately wants a 3rd title that he would want to get it at Ferrari, he isn't motivated by money really so tempting him with cash wouldn't work.

He extended his contract also until the end of 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Will Ron Dennis really put Alonso in his car after the last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

McLaren's need for a top driver will be in line with Honda's requirements. Honda will want a winning set up, team, driver, chassis and then there afe no reasons for not winning.

Button is not a winner and that will be the criteria for Honda.

Oblomov wrote: »
    McLaren's need for a top driver will be in line with Honda's requirements. Honda will want a winning set up, team, driver, chassis and then there afe no reasons for not winning.

Button is not a winner and that will be the criteria for Honda.

True, but if they can't get Alonso, who else is there? Button has winning experience, and has developmental experience, which will be invaluable to Honda. Magnussen is still a rookie, and they'll need that seat filled by someone who knows how to use experience to further a team. Button knows the team, knows how to win, and knows Honda. The smart thing to do would be hire him for one more year, and then move him on if they wanted to.

By Zoott
    The smart thing to do would be hire him for one more year, and then move him on if they wanted toThe smart thing to do would be hire him for one more year, and then move him on if they wanted to.

WQhen was the last time Button won a GP? Honda have made the investment and will want to see results. Yes, experience is good but, the could have Button as reserve and still have Alonso.

Honda are very sales minded and a Brit drivers don't sell cars and plant in South America, whereas a Spaniard would be the ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I think that he was referring to changes in the backroom staff though, .

No, referring to drivers, Joe normally a reliable source so no smoke without fire comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Oblomov wrote: »
    WQhen was the last time Button won a GP? Honda have made the investment and will want to see results. Yes, experience is good but, the could have Button as reserve and still have Alonso.

Honda are very sales minded and a Brit drivers don't sell cars and plant in South America, whereas a Spaniard would be the ideal.

Button is not too far behind alonso in relation to when his last win was. I don't see that as am issue.
    I still believe button can do a first class job given a car that is capable.
    He seemingly was lucky in the brawn even though he totally outclassed Rubens and had to fight hard once the development race brought others into play. He was then laughed at when going to mclaren, opinion being that Lewis would make him look very very average. He proved he was good enough v lewis. He dispached checo too and magnuson is not exactly blowing him away.
    He has a big connection with Japan, massive fan base there so to me, he would be a Great choice for mclaren next year

mickdw wrote: »
    Button is not too far behind alonso in relation to when his last win was. I don't see that as am issue.

Agreed, Button, like a lot of other top class drivers, have already proven they can win if given the right machinery. The McLaren hasn't looked close to getting on the podium a lot of times this season, let alone handling a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I can't imagine Honda wanting to pull the plug on Button, he's popular in Japan and they worked with him from 2003 to 2009. They would be best served retaining Jenson and KMag until the end of 2015. At which point the contracts of Hamilton and Vettel are due to expire. And with Kimi probably retiring there will be a Ferrari seat available. This time next year will be far more interesting.

If I were to go full silly-season mental mode I'd be looking at the following;

• Could Lewis potentially find a way out of Mercedes a year ahead of schedule? Can he and Nico continue to work together in the same team beyond 2014?
    • How motivated is Kimi at this point? Ferrari shafted him before when he was competitive, he has been relatively poor for 12 months now as Grosjean had the better of him in the final third of last year.
    • Fernando Alonso; no smoke without fire, how much do Honda really want him? His salary is around €30m a year and he still has 2015 and 2016 remaining on his contract; an expensive buy out. Can't see him leaving unless Ferrari are willing to let it happen. Why would they let him leave?
    • Sebastian Vettel; Signed up for 2015 as it stands but as his salary is relatively small (approx €12m-€15m basic before generous add ons for wins/podiums) it wouldn't be inconceivable for the likes of Merc/Ferrari/McLaren to buy that out. Maybe Mercedes would like to go back to having an all German driver line up??

Think Honda, think Global.

Button high profile in Japan, but that's home market for Honda.

Historically, Williams lost the Honda engines because they wouldn't let Honda dictate who drove, they can be hardline.

• Advertisement

Wasn't it part of the Honda deal that Honda take up the tab for the drivers salaries at McLaren...or did I imagine that? If so, it certainly gives them some clout in terms of deciding a driver line up?

Advertisement