Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I got Alain Prost. At least I got someone with the same name as me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't know how he managed that.

Hasn't spent enough time in a field with his mums old Saxo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

logik wrote: »
    Combination of two things I would say. Embarrassed that he need to be pushed in the first place and then to make up for it, sunk the boot and there was no heat in the brakes. Car would not stop and into the barrier he went...

He is to young for F1 I think.
    I can't see that its anything to do with the brakes being cold. He seemed to role on idle or possibly drove on idle into the barrier. Maybe couldn't pull the clutch for some reason.
    I guess when not used to these cars, they are sufficiently different to everything else that these type of mistakes can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Hasn't spent enough time in a field with his mums old Saxo.

I think in his case it would be his dad's old Arrows. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know how he managed that.
    F1 cars are actually hard to drive, especially in tight spaces like that. We've seen plenty of drivers do the same thing, those cars are designed for a race track. Take them outside of that arena and you're going to have problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I like the planetf1 site; but it was a Toro Rosso he crashed, not a Red Bull as stated in the article!!

(Sometimes I wish I wasn't so pedantic :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

I like the planetf1 site; but it was a Toro Rosso he crashed, not a Red Bull as stated in the article!!

(Sometimes I wish I wasn't so pedantic :()

pretty sure its an RB8 in tr livery

F1_GP_China_045.jpg

ricciardo+toro+rosso+2012+jerez+setbyspeed.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Monza this weekend, if only it were going to sound like this...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Grim. wrote: »
    pretty sure its an RB8 in tr livery

F1_GP_China_045.jpg

ricciardo+toro+rosso+2012+jerez+setbyspeed.jpg

Judging by the pictures you've shown, the car Verstappen definitely drove has the Toro Rosso nose and definitely does not have the Red Bull rear wing.
    md06za.jpg

• Advertisement

The nose looks like it has the vent and side supports of the RB. The the nose itself droops away like the RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

definitely an RB8

Daniel_Ricciardo_2012_Malaysia_FP2_1.jpg
    Sebastian_Vettel_2012_Malaysia_FP2.jpg
    Untitled-6.png

Really, really hope they go back to the one-week gap between Spa and Monza next year. It would be a fun 2 weeks on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Santan

Can any one tell me what the n is for on the front of the red bull car is for our in the above picture the letter e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Santan wrote: »
    Can any one tell me what the n is for on the front of the red bull car is for our in the above picture the letter e

Neutral switch button for the marshals so they can push the car if it's stuck in gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

With the Italian GP coming up this weekend, it was 15 years ago when Heinz-Harald Frentzen won at Monza driving the Jordan 199.

it99_frentzen09.jpg

Great times :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    With the Italian GP coming up this weekend, it was 15 years ago when Heinz-Harald Frentzen won at Monza driving the Jordan 199.

Indeed it was. I'll never forget standing on the grid after the race singing the national anthem. It was also the race where Hakkinen cried in the bushes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

God that Williams livery brings back nightmares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Indeed it was. I'll never forget standing on the grid after the race singing the national anthem. It was also the race where Hakkinen cried in the bushes.
    It was the only time the Irish anthem was played, wasn't it? The first win with Hill they just played God Save the Queen but Eddie complained!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Strange how things evolve, of the three Mercedes Young drivers program driving with the Mecedes C class, Frentzen, Wendlinger and Schumacher.

HH Frebtzen was reckoned to be the quickest. but, moved away from the program.

And Schumacher went to Eddie Jordan, the rest is history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    It was the only time the Irish anthem was played, wasn't it? The first win with Hill they just played God Save the Queen but Eddie complained!

Also played at Magny Cours and San Marino - though San Marino was not a podium celebration.

Apparently at Spa they did not have the Irish national anthem available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭christy c

Their only race win in the dry

Its a little depressing to look back on that and think that it was probably the peak of the Jordan team. After that debacle of that legal case against Vodafone, Eddie should have stepped aside and let someone else run his team - for credibility's sake if nothing else.

Its a little depressing to look back on that and think that it was probably the peak of the Jordan team. After that debacle of that legal case against Vodafone, Eddie should have stepped aside and let someone else run his team - for credibility's sake if nothing else.

That was never going to happen while Eddie was around.
    One thing that I think is a terrible shame is there isn't a collection off Jordan stuff kept anywhere.
    I believe Eddie had a lot of stuff until a few years ago but most is now sold off to random people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

Showing my youth here but, that race weekend is my earliest memory of watching F1 on tv.

Thats certainly true. I'd say Eddie is still craw sick at the thought of the 50 million profit made by Midland selling the team onto Spyker

Thats certainly true. I'd say Eddie is still craw sick at the thought of the 50 million profit made by Midland selling the team onto Spyker

Did they really though.
    I read that after taking control of the team from Eddie that midland were saddled with millions of pounds of previously unknown bills which were somewhat hidden in the Jordan books.

Did they really though.
    I read that after taking control of the team from Eddie that midland were saddled with millions of pounds of previously unknown bills which were somewhat hidden in the Jordan books.

I wouldn't put that past EJ, but I'd say they still made a considerable profit considering they spent half of nothing running the team.

Ferrari engine deal also for Haas.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

One thing that I think is a terrible shame is there isn't a collection off Jordan stuff kept anywhere.
    I believe Eddie had a lot of stuff until a few years ago but most is now sold off to random people.

I was working for Esat Digifone at the time, and we had boxes upon boxes of Jordan Merchandise. Hats, mugs, scarves, flags, pens, keyrings, tshirts, race suits, you name it! Came in one day and they were all gone :(

• Advertisement

Eddie made his money - he somehow managed to sell the team twice ! No wonder he was a favourite with Bernie.

LOL I'm more inclined to think bernie owes Eddie big time for sending him to Japan chasing Toyota engine deal while Briatore signed Schumacher.

Oblomov wrote: »
    LOL I'm more inclined to think bernie owes Eddie big time for sending him to Japan chasing Toyota engine deal while Briatore signed Schumacher.

Can you explain - Toyota was not in F1 in 1991 ?

Bernie did get Eddie a free supply of Yamaha engines for 92.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Bit of nostalgia

And Kamui is back in the Caterham this weekend. Its like musical chairs there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Mehri and his incredible hair will have his seat for FP1 though. Kamui deserves more respect.

He is still in limbo though, he hasnt been granted his superlicence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Bernie sent EJ and three others on a wild Engine cgase in Japn while the super villain briatorre signed MSchumacher. The four peeps from Jprdam were all sleeping in a single room, sleeping on the floor, armchairs etc.. this was prior to any F1 involvement for engines.

Toyota/yamaha?? will check???

Source,

The Piranha Club: Power and Influence in Formula One Paperback – 29 Jul 2004
    by Timothy Collings (Author)

83myLA.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Just ordered a copy of the book

Looks quite interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Infoanon wrote: »

Toyota did not enter Formula 1 untill 2002. They announced that they were going to enter it 3 years before that 1n 1999. I remember everyone talking about how one of the worlds biggest car makers was entering the sport. Toyota spent many millions maybe billions in F1 but never made a great car. There cars were very fast in a straight line but not great at going around corners as they lacked grip and downforce.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

AMKC wrote: »
    Toyota did not enter Formula 1 untill 2002. They announced that they were going to enter it 3 years before that 1n 1999. I remember everyone talking about how one of the worlds biggest car makers was entering the sport. Toyota spent many millions maybe billions in F1 but never made a great car. There cars were very fast in a straight line but not great at going around corners as they lacked grip and downforce.

Everyone thought they were going to be massive. Salo gave up a race seat with Sauber to be their development driver in the year before they started on the promise of a race seat.

Their livery was fairly cool.

But the press conference when they folded was one of the strangest things I have ever seen with a Toyota executive bawling in tears throughout the whole event

Ms

Everyone thought they were going to be massive. Salo gave up a race seat with Sauber to be their development driver in the year before they started on the promise of a race seat.

Their livery was fairly cool.

But the press conference when they folded was one of the strangest things I have ever seen with a Toyota executive bawling in tears throughout the whole event

Thats right because Toyota was one off the biggest ever companys to enter F1 and had huge resorces and lots of money but that is no good iff you do not have the right people in the places with the ambition to devolope a winning team and win races.

Maybe it was because it was embarrising after all here was Toyota a huge company with hugh resorces having to leave F1 after 7 years in it spending maybe billions having not won any driver or constructers trophys and because it had for the first time ever in the companys history made a financial loss.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

The Qualifying is been shown on Sky1 live as well on BBC2 for anyone that would like to know. Just noticed this today and was quite surprised. They are not showing the race live on it do at least not yet anyway.
    I am going to record it on BBC2 and watch the Sky one.
    If there is breaks in it I might to switch beack to the BBC one do

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Was that Alesi with Lauda in the garage during qualifying? If it was him, it's younger he's getting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Strange place for him to be, unless it was in another category Alesi never had any connection with a Mercedes car did he? He was a Ferrari driver at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

flazio wrote: »
    Strange place for him to be, unless it was in another category Alesi never had any connection with a Mercedes car did he? He was a Ferrari driver at one stage.

He drove for Mercedes in DTM after leaving F1.

AMKC wrote: »
    The Qualifying is been shown on Sky1 live as well on BBC2 for anyone that would like to know. Just noticed this today and was quite surprised. They are not showing the race live on it do at least not yet anyway.
    I am going to record it on BBC2 and watch the Sky one.
    If there is breaks in it I might to switch back to the BBC one do

Quite a smart move by Sky to be honest. They know this weekend is free to air on bbc so they give it out free also. Taking people from the bbc show and likely buying themselves a few new F1 channel subscribers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Quite a smart move by Sky to be honest. They know this weekend is free to air on bbc so they give it out free also. Taking people from the bbc show and likely buying themselves a few new F1 channel subscribers.

Either that or else making people think "eugh, I'll stick with BBC/Setanta" :p Admittedly I don't find the Sky coverage too bad, it's a bit, sterile...but not as good as the beeb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Myrddin wrote: »
    Either that or else making people think "eugh, I'll stick with BBC/Setanta" :p Admittedly I don't find the Sky coverage too bad, it's a bit, sterile...but not as good as the beeb.

I don't have sky sports but noticed that you can view certain sky sports events on "on demand" later during the week.
    I was away one weekend recently and the Hungarian GP was scheduled to be recorded on sky+, which failed, so I missed the whole thing.
    Anyway, I was browsing through the "on demand" stuff and used the search function - hey presto, sky sports had a feature film about the Hungarian GP, highlights of the GP and some other stuff. All, from what i could make out was broadcast on sky sports F1 (SSF1)channel originally.
    I asked that weekend where I could view it and someone said that there would be repeats of the GP on SSF1 - to which I was pissed off at 'cause I did't have that channel.

Anyway, I didn't investigate it any further that day, or since. But, I'd like to see that coverage later during the week. Especially as i think SS is a complete rip off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement