Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

More of a case of leaving F1 with a big cash settlement than trying to stay with them for next year.

His current contract is 600,000 a year, there might be a severance cause involved, but the contracts could have performance clauses involved whereby the team can cancel a contract depending on points scored by the driver etc.

It could well get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I can understand McLaren looking to the future and wanting to give Magnessun a chance, but a pairing of Alonso and Button would be an excellent driver lineup. As it stands I reckon F1 is about to lose a top driver. If only Williams would pay Massa off to leave the team and get Jenson in along side Bottas....wishful thinking on my part!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

According to a Sky interview with one of the administrators at Marussia, the team have ceased trading and the employees will be made redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭tripperman

According to a Sky interview with one of the administrators at Marussia, the team have ceased trading and the employees will be made redundant.

yeah it seems to be the case, just as they looked to have secured 9th in championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭lolie

Bbc just reporting it now, at least 200 people losing their jobs.
    Pretty rough few months for them.
    http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/29954250

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭lolie

Quick heads up for next Wednesday 12th.
    Classic F1 Title Decider's with Murray Walker.
    BBC red button and online, 9.25 - 10.30 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What I don't get is that is if they stuck out the last two races they get the prize money for finishing 10th which is what 50-70million?

I think their debts were far in excess of that. And according to the Midweek Motorsport the Bernie money is paid out at the end of the following season it was earned. As in they wouldn't have gotten it until the end of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I think their debts were far in excess of that. And according to the Midweek Motorsport the Bernie money is paid out at the end of the following season it was earned. As in they wouldn't have gotten it until the end of next year.

Is it the prize money that's paid out the following year or the tv money? Or both?

Meanwhile, fellow doomed back markers, Caterham, are trying to raise 2.3 million in crowd-sourced funding by Abu Dhabi.

https://twitter.com/willbuxton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

OSI wrote: »
    Can anyone enlighten me how the virtual safety car works? They had a quick explanation on the practice commentary, but it made no sense.

I gave a quick read here http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/12520/9543428/drivers-find-virtual-safety-car-a-challenge-during-trial-run-at-united-states-gp
    Frankly it all seems too complicated.. I stand by my original post and believe a simple Code 60 is the best practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is there any chance Lotterer wants to actually finish a lap in a GP? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

Is it the prize money that's paid out the following year or the tv money? Or both?

Meanwhile, fellow doomed back markers, Caterham, are trying to raise 2.3 million in crowd-sourced funding by Abu Dhabi.

https://twitter.com/willbuxton

I have to agree with buxton on this it is extremely cringeworthy that they are doing this. I could understand to an extent doing it at the start of the season to see what you can get but in this situation it is as buxton says cynical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Some very angry posts on their Facebook page from F1 fans about the manor they've let so many staff down then have the cheek to look for 'us' to bank roll them!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Very sad to see Marussia go actually.

Them getting their first points this year showed progress, unlike other the other teams that arrived in 2010. Its really a shame that F1 is just chewing up the lower teams and spitting them out.

I can't help but feel that the massive reg changes this year have a huge part to play in all of this, the cost of the new units is too high and it putting the teams under insane financial strain.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Very sad to see Marussia go actually.

Them getting their first points this year showed progress, unlike other the other teams that arrived in 2010. Its really a shame that F1 is just chewing up the lower teams and spitting them out.

I can't help but feel that the massive reg changes this year have a huge part to play in all of this, the cost of the new units is too high and it putting the teams under insane financial strain.
    Marussia/Virgin, HRT and Caterham/Lotus were the 3 new teams. HRT got all the flak from the start while Caterham had some of the old boys working for them and got praise for supposedly always looking "professional" and as though they were working towards something. HRT went down the pipes pretty quickly while they other 2 kept plugging away. Once the good ol' boys left Caterham the amount of praise for them faded quite dramatically which was suprising. :rolleyes: Meanwhile Marussia kept plugging away and actually progressed a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I really thought Marussia would make it, I wonder was there some skeletons in the closet that we don't know about.

Bit surprised how well Caterham's crowdfunding is going, they are up to 315k sterling so far. Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Shane_ef wrote: »
    I gave a quick read here http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/12520/9543428/drivers-find-virtual-safety-car-a-challenge-during-trial-run-at-united-states-gp
    Frankly it all seems too complicated.. I stand by my original post and believe a simple Code 60 is the best practice.

Agreed, I dont see why the cars cant be electronically limited by race control until the VSC is gone. Same principle as the pit limiter, cant be hard to implement.

Also, I feel this method is more fair to drivers who have built up a gap at the front only to have it blown away when the SC comes out.

Although, I guess this method cold hand huge advantages to drivers depending on how close they are to the pit entrance when the SC comes out...

Agreed, I dont see why the cars cant be electronically limited by race control until the VSC is gone. Same principle as the pit limiter, cant be hard to implement.

Taking the limiting of the car out of the drivers hands would be a terrible idea. Just think about this scenario, going flat out through Eau rouge and race control slams on the brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I would say then it would be better if it kicked in at the next braking zone. So once you decelerate/brake, the car goes to 'yellow' alert.

Then google glass on the visor can show this

Yellow-alert.gif

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Spanish media are reporting that Alonso has signed with McLaren with a 2+1 year deal. The current hoohah over him leaving Ferrari is about how much he'll have to pay the team for breaking his contract. Alonso doesn't want to pay it so is trying to find a loophole, Ferrari says he has to pay it, while McLaren/Honda have said that they're not paying it on his behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Spanish media are reporting that Alonso has signed with McLaren with a 2+1 year deal. The current hoohah over him leaving Ferrari is about how much he'll have to pay the team for breaking his contract. Alonso doesn't want to pay it so is trying to find a loophole, Ferrari says he has to pay it, while McLaren/Honda have said that they're not paying it on his behalf.

Did Luca not sort this before he left no? Will Santander cough up? Or failing that, could he not just stay where he is & force Ferrari's hand to make way for Vettel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Myrddin wrote: »
    Did Luca not sort this before he left no? Will Santander cough up? Or failing that, could he not just stay where he is & force Ferrari's hand to make way for Vettel?

Apparently when Luca was leaving he asked Alonso if he wanted one final wish, and Alonso said to get out of his contract. No word on whether that actually happened, though. And it seems that he's staying put to force Ferrari's hand in a giant multi-million dollar showdown...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I really hope Button is picked up by another team if the reports are true that McLaren won't offer him a new deal. I remember watching him for most of his career in F1. Was delighted when he became a world champion in 09.

If this is his exit from F1 it's a huge shame. Should have been allowed the respect of ending it on his own terms. He still is one of the cleanest and most consistent drivers. He's outperformed Magnussen this season and thats really all that can be asked of him.

I'm hoping we still have him on the grid next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Imagine you are Nico.

It's Abu Dhabi and you are in the lead on the final lap. Hamilton is a few seconds behind you, no chance of catching you.

Would you slow down and let him pass and let him win the championship or do you plough on, take the double points (that you were very critical of at the start of the season) and steal the championship by 1 point.

I think anybody with an ounce of sportsmanship would let Hamilton have it.

Tzardine wrote: »
    I think anybody with an ounce of sportsmanship would let Hamilton have it.

Do you think Hamilton would do it if the positions were reversed? :pac:

The drivers are there to win, none of them would do what you say so I guess non of them have "an ounce of sportsmanship". They didn't make the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Do you think Hamilton would do it if the positions were reversed? :pac:

The drivers are there to win, none of them would do what you say so I guess non of them have "an ounce of sportsmanship". They didn't make the rules.

I think there are drivers that would and drivers that would feel to win that championship in such a way would not be a legitimate win.

And yes they don't make the rules but my point is that how can somebody be so openly against the rule a few months ago but now would be in favour of it because it suits them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I think there are drivers that would and drivers that would feel to win that championship in such a way would not be a legitimate win.

And yes they don't make the rules but my point is that how can somebody be so openly against the rule a few months ago but now would be in favour of it because it suits them.

I think the number of drivers that would = 0

Sorry but you are delusional if you think any driver would care one iota about winning the championship under these circumstance. Winning the F1 championship is what these guys have been working towards since they were children.

Where are you getting this from?

Sorry but you are delusional if you think any driver would care one iota about winning the championship under these circumstance. Winning the F1 championship is what these guys have been working towards since they were children.

Where are you getting this from?

Nico said, when the double points eejitry was introduced, "It's a stupid decision."

Last week , with the title going down to the wire Nico says "I like it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Nico said, when the double points eejitry was introduced, "It's a stupid decision."

Was that the interview on BBC?

EJ: How critical is it for you to win the next two races in terms of the championship?

NR: *pauses, looks at EJ* I'd say rather critical, what would you think Eddie...

Gotta love Eddie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'd say the exact same thing. I don't like Nico, I think he has cheated to get where he is and had a helping hand in Germany (although he didn't choose for that to happen). But I agree with him here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just a quick question, with Marussia gone out of business, who will be footing the bill for Jules Bianchi's critical ongoing care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

flazio wrote: »
    Just a quick question, with Marussia gone out of business, who will be footing the bill for Jules Bianchi's critical ongoing care?

I'm sure he would have insurance for injuries incurred while racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Ferrari I'd imagine. Seeing as he is a part of their driver academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

No he didn't. He said he thought it was a bad thing, but the drivers would race under the rules they were given. He's said the same thing now. He made more of a joke of it now, but that's because he's got a sense of humour.

This is all dream talk. I can't think of a single driver in F1, past or present, who would decline a world championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

This is all dream talk. I can't think of a single driver in F1, past or present, who would decline a world championship.

Peter Collins did to an extent in 1956.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_Formula_One_season

kksaints wrote: »
    Peter Collins did to an extent in 1956.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_Formula_One_season

Hmm, you'll forgive me for forgetting an example from sixty years ago :P

Hmm, you'll forgive me for forgetting an example from sixty years ago :P

Its amazing when you look back and see drivers sharing cars.

kksaints wrote: »
    Its amazing when you look back and see drivers sharing cars.

Very much so, it was a different era/sport really back then.

I was thinking that RTÉ's F1 commentator had a hidden past we knew nothing of for a second. Read the other Peter Collins Wiki article, sad to think that early death used to be the norm for racing drivers back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I was thinking that RTÉ's F1 commentator had a hidden past we knew nothing of for a second.

Jesus that dude was/is an awful sports commentator.

Jesus that dude was/is an awful sports commentator.

I didnt think he was too bad when he was commentating on the F1 or Moto Gp but he is awful at soccer whether commentating or presenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Never really understood the complaint some people had with Peter Collins. Always enjoyed David Kennedy and him on RTE, especially during the late 90's when Jordan and Irvine were racing at the front. Biased? Always! But feck it, they were commentating for an Irish broadcaster, I'd be disappointed if Jordan and Irvine werent getting most of their focus. It was the main reason why I watched F1 on RTE and not ITV/BBC.

That was mainly because Declan Quigley was only allowed in the Jordan pit and nowhere else so RTE's coverage was heavily Jordan based and not much else. I remember fuming at some race where Quigley was spouting the team's PR bull**** "Technical failure" as a reason why Trulli (IIRC) went out of a race when everyone watching on tv had seen him crashing out all by himself.

Collins was woeful as a commentator. He'd waffle away at the start of the race and ignore what was actually happening in front of him. He was on about something from qualifying one time while a first corner pile-up went on without him even mentioning it until David Kennedy pretty much grabbed the microphone off him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

There were only a hand full of occasions I'd have to watch on RTE, usually when the Pipe went (remember the pipe! :p ). I actually liked the other guy, was it Quigley?, seemed genuinely into the sport. Collins on the other hand sounded like he hadn't got a clue what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Never had too much problem with the rte coverage, probably lucky to have it on irish tv, always enjoyed David Kennedys analysis and enthusiasm for the sport

Do remember Quigley getting caught on the world feed having a smoke during one race

On the plus side of RTE's F1 coverage, they rarely took an ad break at the same time as ITV so a bit of channel-hopping meant you'd not miss any of the action. Plus, it was a welcome respite from ITV's OTT jingoism and RTE's grid walk was far more informative and interesting as they'd be down the back end chatting with the likes of Sauber and Minardi while ITV were up the front getting their usual string of "No comment" comments from the big boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

On the plus side of RTE's F1 coverage, they rarely took an ad break at the same time as ITV so a bit of channel-hopping meant you'd not miss any of the action. Plus, it was a welcome respite from ITV's OTT jingoism and RTE's grid walk was far more informative and interesting as they'd be down the back end chatting with the likes of Sauber and Minardi while ITV were up the front getting their usual string of "No comment" comments from the big boys.
    I Have no recollection of an rte grid walk.
    My memory is of the coverage starting with just a short intro by the commentator before lights out. I'm also pretty sure that rte didn't even send the commentary team to the long haul races and basically had them watching world feed pictures.
    I only really watched rte during itv breaks or on occasion when itv picture would fail so maybe im wrong about the grid walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

They were at the circuit as far as I remember, used to have trouble with the audio feed sometimes. Not sure how much of a pre race show they had. Maybe it varied from one year to next or they cut back on coverage as time went on.
    Here's a bit of canada 04 which I probably posted before

RTÉ always sent a team of just 4 people to every race, Peter, David, Declan and a producer to feed the commentry back to Dublin. Qualifying was as it is today on Setanta, 5 minutes before session started, World feed on TV, commentry fed to Dublin and synced to the pictures on screen. After qualy they would rent a camera operator and record some interviews, not from the media pit we see today but from the motorhomes. Usually it was the Jordan team but there was also an Irish man in charge of Toyota for a while so they talked to him too. This plus some promotional footage from teams that goes up on YouTube these days formed their build up to the race, about 15mins before the race they would go live to the World feed pictures and Declan would grab audio only interviews on the grid between Peter and David discussing the upcoming race.
    Because RTÉ had to rely on local communication infrastructure as opposed to ITV's own satellite truck, the sound quality of the commentry feed varied particularly at flyaway races in places such as Sau Paulo and Argentina.
    It was a shoestring service, but to be fair that was part of the charm of it IMO.
    The practice of not attending flyaway races was started by Setanta.

• Advertisement
Advertisement