Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I would have expected such a price for a race seat back in the early 90s, not today when I'd say £35k just about covers fuel and tyres for those sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

veganrun wrote: »
    If they are going to do that, I'd rather they brought back the V10's.

This guy needs to replace Bernie!!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

OSI wrote: »
    From the team that outsources everything to another company they own to hide their development costs.

My favourite Horner moment was in 2009 when, standing in front of a 4 bay, 3 storey "motorhome" containing a swimming pool and disco, serving his team and the second team that they run solely to double up the research resources available to the "main" team and provide convenient mobile roadblocks to rivals, he described red bull as "a small team, going up against the big boys like ferrari and mclaren".

Bull ****ter extraordinaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Id love to tell him to shut his mouth right to his face. Red Bull throw silly money at practically everything. Then they try to look like the good guys when the issue of costs comes up.

I agree but in fairness almost every team boss talking about what's good for formula 1 is just promoting themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Interesting stuff, he really doesn't want to give up on F1 at all. I did hear a rumour he was supposed to run for Caterham in the last few races but we know how that went.

Pretty amazing interview with Bernie where he says F1 doesn't need younger fans.
    Formula 1 should not be chasing a younger generation of fans as they are the wrong target for the sport's sponsors, claims F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

After a year when F1 has been asking itself why television audiences are in decline, Ecclestone has suggested that a push to embrace a younger fanbase via social media would be wasted.

In an fascinating interview with AUTOSPORT's sister publication Campaign Asia-Pacific, Ecclestone says youngsters are of no value to F1.

"I'm not interested in tweeting, Facebook and whatever this nonsense is," said Ecclestone in the interview, where he talks about F1's financial problems and the future direction of the sport.

"I tried to find out but in any case I'm too old-fashioned. I couldn't see any value in it. And, I don't know what the so-called 'young generation' of today really wants. What is it?"

Asked if he believed there was no value in attracting a young audience, Ecclestone said: "If you have a brand that you want to put in front of a few hundred million people, I can do that easily for you on television.

"Now, you're telling me I need to find a channel to get this 15-year-old to watch Formula 1 because somebody wants to put out a new brand in front of them? They are not going to be interested in the slightest bit.

"Young kids will see the Rolex brand, but are they going to go and buy one? They can't afford it. Or our other sponsor, UBS - these kids don't care about banking. They haven't got enough money to put in the bloody banks anyway.

"That's what I think. I don't know why people want to get to the so-called 'young generation'. Why do they want to do that? Is it to sell them something? Most of these kids haven't got any money.

"I'd rather get to the 70-year-old guy who's got plenty of cash. So, there's no point trying to reach these kids because they won't buy any of the products here and if marketers are aiming at this audience, then maybe they should advertise with Disney."

Source: http://www.campaignasia.com/Article/392088,exclusive-f1-boss-bernie-ecclestone-on-his-billion-dollar-brand.aspx

Zcott wrote: »
    Pretty amazing interview with Bernie where he says F1 doesn't need younger fans.

Source: http://www.campaignasia.com/Article/392088,exclusive-f1-boss-bernie-ecclestone-on-his-billion-dollar-brand.aspx

I think he always comes across as a tool in interviews (probably because he is a tool). Would be a positive move for the sport if it was possible to boot him out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

christy c wrote: »
    I think he always comes across as a tool in interviews (probably because he is a tool). Would be a positive move for the sport if it was possible to boot him out

I'm 21 and I think he is right. F1 is an exclusive club and the sponsors are currently only targeting that exclusive club.

That being said there would be a possibility for more sponsors to come into the sport if it had a wider audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Guess what Bernie. Kids grow up! And most of them will now grow up having no exposure to Formula 1, unlike many of the rest of us who started watching when we were young. This means that F1 has a dying audience, but I guess he doesn't care since he knows he'll probably be dead in a few years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm 21 and I think he is right. F1 is an exclusive club and the sponsors are currently only targeting that exclusive club.

That being said there would be a possibility for more sponsors to come into the sport if it had a wider audience.

Red Bull and Monster might disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Clearly Bernie forgets the appeal of F1 back in the 70's and 80's, where it seemed like the whole world, and all ages, were hooked on the sport.

That should be where he should be trying to get it back to, having everyone talking about it, no matter what age.

I get that the older market have more money now, but the younger fans can provide money for longer, and have the potential to have more money when their older. How many people became millionaires by 25 in the last 10 years? Keep the youngsters interested and they have that potential too.

Such a shame the days of Marlboro, Camel, Rothmans etc sponsoring F1 has gone. Back then you were marketing to everyone 10 years and older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Infoanon wrote: »
    Red Bull and Monster might disagree

They are the exception rather than the rule, both of those companies target 'extreme sports'. There are very few everyday companies that the average viewer would be a potential customer of. Vodafone were a big one one but they are gone now. The companies that advertise in F1 are companies that sell things to other companies or offer services to them. You don't advertise in F1 for a large group of people to see your name, you advertise in F1 to have your name in the most exclusive VIP events in the world. Advertisements on F1 cars generally target a small few billionaires, not us.

If you think of some of the companies with the largest advertising campaigns in the world, they don't come near F1. Coka-Cola and McDonalds advertise in absolutely everything but not F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Em who is going to drive for them? Rubens? Me?

Alright lads, I'll do it, got no plans that weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Em who is going to drive for them? Rubens? Me?

The e-bay auction closes on Sunday at 12. The highest bidder gets the drive*

*This may not be true

Ericsson definitely won't be driving because he cut all ties with the team during the week. Barrichello and Alice Powell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Whats with the Barrichello connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

I'd say kobayashi will drive one car, if they run two cars.. because f1 rules say you cant have more then 4 drivers over a season.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Whats with the Barrichello connection?

Colin Kolles had it lined up and the sponsorship was in place, until the entire team fell apart.

Tockman wrote: »
    I'd say kobayashi will drive one car, if they run two cars.. because f1 rules say you cant have more then 4 drivers over a season.

But they haven't had 4 drivers, unless you count Merhi's P1 appearances.

But they haven't had 4 drivers, unless you count Merhi's P1 appearances.

They have had three, 1 (Ericsson) has confirmed he won't be back. so they have to pick at least one of the other two. Kobayashi is the likely choice IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

They have had three, 1 (Ericsson) has confirmed he won't be back. so they have to pick at least one of the other two. Kobayashi is the likely choice IMO.

plus lotterr is rumored to not have any interest in the seat, plus if there giving powell fp1 who would want to race for one race and not have a good build up by not doing all practices to get used to the car??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see Caterham have raised enough money with there crowd funding to be at the race in Abu Dabui. Who is going to be driving for them do?
    I wonder will they continue with the crowd funding in the winter to get money for next season. If they are in Abu Dabui then they can miss the first race or two next season if they have too.
    I think it is a good idea as fans are not forced to give money they are just giving the option of giving money to help a team. Its a pity Marrusia did not get a chance to try and do this too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

AMKC wrote: »
    I see Caterham have raised enough money with there crowd funding to be at the race in Abu Dabui. Who is going to be driving for them do?
    I wonder will they continue with the crowd funding in the winter to get money for next season. If they are in Abu Dabui then they can miss the first race or two next season if they have too.
    I think it is a good idea as fans are not forced to give money they are just giving the option of giving money to help a team. Its a pity Marrusia did not get a chance to try and do this too.

A lot of the money they're getting is from selling parts off the old & current F1 cars and team equipment - Front/Rear wings, carbon pieces here and there, wheel nuts, rims, race gloves / suits / boots / etc etc.

It's not really a sustainable supply of income... They're only going to have so much they can sell. The total £ raised on non-limited supply items (lanyard, wallet, shirts, etc) is only £116,542 of the total £1,916,816

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

AMKC wrote: »
    People said it was a disgrace to go the crowd funding route when realistically it is just to keep the team intact to aid the sale of the team as a going concern at year end.
    I think it was a good idea and nobody was under obligation to give anything and generally you were getting something for your money whether it be a cap our a bit of car part.
    Anyway, If it saves the team and it can be funded for next year whether through new owners or whatever , it is some result.
    I'm surprised they got the opportunity to even try the crowd funding as these administrators can be abit blind alternative ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

mickdw wrote: »
    People said it was a disgrace to go the crowd funding route when realistically it is just to keep the team intact to aid the sale of the team as a going concern at year end.
    I think it was a good idea and nobody was under obligation to give anything and generally you were getting something for your money whether it be a cap our a bit of car part.
    Anyway, If it saves the team and it can be funded for next year whether through new owners or whatever , it is some result.
    I'm surprised they got the opportunity to even try the crowd funding as these administrators can be abit blind alternative ideas.

Doesn't one of the administrators own the crowdfunding method they are using? A cynic would say that it is a publicity stunt on their behalf.

I wonder how they're planning on running the cars as the entire workforce was made redundant while owed seven weeks salary...

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote: »
    Doesn't one of the administrators own the crowdfunding method they are using? A cynic would say that it is a publicity stunt on their behalf.

Thats interesting. It certainly explains how it got the go ahead.

I wonder how they're planning on running the cars as the entire workforce was made redundant while owed seven weeks salary...

Perhaps the bulk of the cash raised is for wages.
    300 or so people at 1000 quid per week on average is 2.1 million for 7 weeks.
    I believe Bernie pays all the transport and associated costs out of money due to the teams.

mickdw wrote: »
    Perhaps the bulk of the cash raised is for wages.
    300 or so people at 1000 quid per week on average is 2.1 million for 7 weeks.
    I believe Bernie pays all the transport and associated costs out of money due to the teams.

Plausible, but why make them redundant in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

They are the exception rather than the rule, both of those companies target 'extreme sports'. There are very few everyday companies that the average viewer would be a potential customer of. Vodafone were a big one one but they are gone now. The companies that advertise in F1 are companies that sell things to other companies or offer services to them. You don't advertise in F1 for a large group of people to see your name, you advertise in F1 to have your name in the most exclusive VIP events in the world. Advertisements on F1 cars generally target a small few billionaires, not us.

If you think of some of the companies with the largest advertising campaigns in the world, they don't come near F1. Coka-Cola and McDonalds advertise in absolutely everything but not F1.

The top 4/5 F1 teams all have sponsors that the average viewer would be a potential customer of.

Ferrari - Marlboro & Shell
    Mercedes - Mercedes & Blackberry
    Red Bull - Red Bull, Infiniti & Total
    McClaren - Mobil 1 & Hugo Boss
    Williams - Martini

In regards to Coke and McDonalds I would say there are other reasons they are not involved in F1, as they sponsor some teams in Nascar in the states.

There's some McDonald's sponsorship on the G-Drive LMP2s in WEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Disappointed to see them running this race. Throwing in inexperienced drivers, or a driver who hasn't raced in a long time to the last race of the season could be an awful decision. Hopefully one of them doesn't created an accident that might effect the World Championship.

Sad always seeing the smaller teams in F1 struggling financial in such a profitable industry, never seems to change though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Sad always seeing the smaller teams in F1 struggling financial in such a profitable industry, never seems to change though.

The business model obviously works for Bernie/CVC. The smaller teams just don't have the same appeal as the likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull, Mercedes. So if they go under, that's no skin off Bernie's back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think it's good to see them finish the season, might give them some sort of time to find buyer

Think Bernie doesn't want to see them go, even if he doesn't say that, he just doesn't want to be putting his hand in his pocket for the teams

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    The top 4/5 F1 teams all have sponsors that the average viewer would be a potential customer of.

Ferrari - Marlboro & Shell

Ferrari - Marlboro? The guys at Santander obviously aren't spending enough :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Picture of a Honda powered McLaren MP4-29 taken last Friday:

mclaren-honda-2014-886x584.jpg

It will be interesting to see if the McLaren-Honda partnership will have the same success like they did between 1988-1992.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Kobayashi confirmed for Caterhams last race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

antodeco wrote: »
    Kobayashi confirmed for Caterhams last race!

wonder will they get two cars on the track

taking 40 crew to abu dhabi with 230 staff officially made redundant on the 14th of november, slightly surprised they had 230 staff

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

wonder will they get two cars on the track

taking 40 crew to abu dhabi with 230 staff officially made redundant on the 14th of november, slightly surprised they had 230 staff

That was a large part of their problem. They had the staffing levels of a midfield team but without the matching sponsorship or FOM income to pay for it.

40 doesn't sound like a lot, but how many people normally travel to a GP?

I don't know but likely just the bare crew of mechanics to run the cars travelling now. I guess you can do it with small numbers if you are not too worried about being competitive.
    Probably a few Renault staff working with them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Well it looks like Caterham will be the obvious choice for the team that will have no cars finish the race in the boards competition.

I made a boo boo and bought tickets for Spa next year.

Tell us more

Well, I've got a wedding, a honeymoon and a car to pay for in the next 12 months, and yet when the early bird special for tickets at Spa for next August popped up on my screen, my brain completely ignored those facts and said "Sure why wouldn't you!?"

Haha, tell your other half you have the honeymoon sorted

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Tell her you got a weekend trip to a Spa, and that its overseas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

There is a limit of 60 operational staff, not included in that limit is anyone without any direct involvement in the racing or handling of the cars ie Catering, marketing etc.

Advertisement