Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

There is a limit of 60 operational staff, not included in that limit is anyone without any direct involvement in the racing or handling of the cars ie Catering, marketing etc.

If they fly me over and pay for my room, I'll help them for free :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Absolute last minute decision but heading to Abu Dhabi on Wednesday! Hadn't planned on going but I can't wait now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Did people know that Christian Horner is engaged to Geri Halliwell? I read it somewhere and thought it was a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Yeah, heard it on some daytime show. They put it in the classifieds of a newspaper. Not worth talking about. Smarmy git, don't like him. And she's a bit meh TBH.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gintonious wrote: »
    Did people know that Christian Horner is engaged to Geri Halliwell? I read it somewhere and thought it was a joke.

Going out for ages now. He left his wife just after they had a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

mickdw wrote: »
    Going out for ages now. He left his wife just after they had a baby.

I bet Renault are worried after hearing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

frostie500 wrote: »
    Absolute last minute decision but heading to Abu Dhabi on Wednesday! Hadn't planned on going but I can't wait now!

Is that you Tony? :p

I'm hoping that this isn't a bad joke and I wont have to explain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭christy c

GarIT wrote: »
    Is that you Tony? :p

I'm hoping that this isn't a bad joke and I wont have to explain it.

Took me a minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

astrofluff wrote: »
    Yeah, heard it on some daytime show. They put it in the classifieds of a newspaper. Not worth talking about. Smarmy git, don't like him. And she's a bit meh TBH.

Shes a clown, I remember the time she asked Damon Hill if hes driven an F1 car during the coverage on sky last year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I almost did the same thing! Flights were £330 to Dubai when I looked last week. The OH said she couldn't get time off work, but then today told me she could. Quick check of emirates later and they have gone up to £800+:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Ah! Where you staying? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I almost did the same thing! Flights were £330 to Dubai when I looked last week. The OH said she couldn't get time off work, but then today told me she could. Quick check of emirates later and they have gone up to £800+:(

€474 with Etihad direct to Abu Dhabi leaving Wednesday and coming back on Monday...go on you know it makes sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Few places saying today that Marussia are on their way to Abu Dhabi :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭tripperman

would be great if its true i prefer them to survive then caterham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

It would be great to see them take their place there are some interesting comments being made on twitter

this being one of them "Marussia and Caterham attending Abu Dhabi F1 this weekend. Has someone bought Marrusia? Someone with cash, ability, knowledge and success?"

oh and Just seen that the second Caterham driver for the weekend is barrichello can;t wait to see the little man back in a car

Wonder will it be an actual attempt at doing the whole weekend or just do enough for prize money. They wouldn't even have to race to get their prize money just getting the cars through scrutineering will be enough AFAIK.

Article here

I know it is highly unlikely but could Mr Jordan and Brawn be involved in taking on marussia? God I do miss the Jordan days even when we were shyte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Barrichello at Caterham and Marussia flying in two days before the race having apparently been saved by Max Chilton's dad...glad I took Sunday off!

Anyone reckon Marussia are only turning up because Caterham are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Zcott wrote: »
    Barrichello at Caterham and Marussia flying in two days before the race having apparently been saved by Max Chilton's dad...glad I took Sunday off!

Anyone reckon Marussia are only turning up because Caterham are?

More likely they are showing up to get their hands on the prized money they would forfeit if they didn't appear for a third race. I would imagine a deal has been agreed in principle with an investor to take them on next season but this would be a stipulation that they would get the prize money owed.

Hearing a suggestion that Ferrari want Buemi in the other Marussia seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Surely there are better options available than putting Barichello in a seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

But when was the last time he turned a wheel in anger? IIRC he was in Indycar in 2012 and I haven't heard anything about his racing exploits since.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    A highly experienced race driver who has won more GP's than a number of the drivers on the grid. Twice runners up to the WDC to boot. Not a bad choice....

I'm not questioning his credentials per se, more so the fact he hasn't been near a racing car in so long, not to mention F1 being a very different animal these days compared to how it was when he left it (tires, ers, etc). He seems a bizarre choice, given how utterly removed from the sport he is. You could liken it to Schumacher coming back, & even in what you could have called 'traditional cars', look at how much he struggled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'm not questioning his credentials per se, more so the fact he hasn't been near a racing car in so long, not to mention F1 being a very different animal these days compared to how it was when he left it (tires, ers, etc). He seems a bizarre choice, given how utterly removed from the sport he is. You could liken it to Schumacher coming back, & even in what you could have called 'traditional cars', look at how much he struggled.

Looking back on Schumacher's mercedes years, did he really struggle though? I think it was more an issue of expectation. They were running the championship winning team and we're not as good as expected. Then he wasn't beating rosberg to top it off. Looking back, the car was crap and rosberg is shown to be a massively quick driver.

mickdw wrote: »
    Looking back on Schumacher's mercedes years, did he really struggle though? I think it was more an issue of expectation. They were running the championship winning team and we're not as good as expected. Then he wasn't beating rosberg to top it off. Looking back, the car was crap and rosberg is shown to be a massively quick driver.

Yeah maybe 'struggled' wasn't the best word to use. Expectations were really high, I know I certainly expected him to beat Rosberg (which he was starting to do in his final season). My point was, it wasn't easy to come back to F1 when the cars weren't dissimilar from how they were several years back. Coming into it now, will mean there's more to get to grips with I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

1982111_746286002092541_8193875469132049895_n.jpg?oh=6b16b442fe24e6c44f5de185580ab695&oe=54DC7BE1&__gda__=1423655644_4504c7b261197e0e5598fd2fb95593b4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

But when was the last time he turned a wheel in anger? IIRC he was in Indycar in 2012 and I haven't heard anything about his racing exploits since.

He's hasn't exactly been taking it easy, he's been in racing in Stock Car Brasil since 2012

Shane_ef wrote: »
    He's hasn't exactly been taking it easy, he's been in racing in Stock Car Brasil since 2012

Plus commentating on F1 for Globo in Brazil, but that didn't go too well:
    Brazil's UOL Esporte is now claiming Barrichello, 42, fell out with the broadcaster due to "relationship and contract" problems, and also because he allegedly used his role to "offer his services to F1 teams".

But the real trouble may have begun in Singapore last month, when Barrichello reportedly told Mercedes' Toto Wolff he was "ready and fit" to become the dominant team's reserve driver.

Barrichello reportedly also lobbied last year to make his return to F1 with Sauber.

"According to insiders," UOL claimed, "Barrichello never accepted that he is a former Formula One driver. Coincidence or not, that (Singapore) was his last outing as a broadcaster."

From Motorsport.com

Gutted for them.

Charles Pic has pulled out of this weeks Formula E round, which, given he actually has a superlicence, woud put him in prime position for the Caterham seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Ferrari confirm departure of Alonso and arrival of Vettel

Will Stevens confirmed for the second caterham drive https://twitter.com/CaterhamF1/status/535399170270826496

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Frostie, me and another fella racing Alonso away from the lights leaving Yas Marina today!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10150438330724943

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Nice!

Some sound out of that Ferrari.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Nice!

Some sound out of that Ferrari.

Talking about sound just watching the practice highlights from yesterday on BBC.

Sorry! But if I hadn't the TV turn up Id swear I was watching formula E. It seems to me the sound at this GP is very bad. Its always bad but this is atrocious. I believe the track has a huge factor with the sound.

I don't know! Watching F1 over 30 years in that time rarely have I missed a live race. I'm afraid to say if the Championship was not as close as it is I wouldn't to bothered if I missed it. I know this topic has been discussed to death here. But I have to say and I thought I never say the like but the lack of sound is turning me of F1.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Ted Kravitz managed to get a word with Finbarr O Connell who is running the show this weekend at Caterham. Great to see some Irish involvement in F1 in 2014.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

bbability wrote: »
    Ted Kravitz managed to get a word with Finbarr O Connell who is running the show this weekend at Caterham. Great to see some Irish involvement in F1 in 2014.

I'd much prefer if the Irish involvement was a world class driver rather than an accountant. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

lotus truck jump over f1 car
    http://www.emc.com/microsites/lotus/index.htm
    shorter youtube version
    or theres a behind the scenes version on emc site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Hehe. Gwan out there Pastor. You'll be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Sky have been hearing a rumour that Brawn will take over Ferrari in 2015.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sky Sports coverage just mentioned a rumour that Ross Brawn is coming back to Ferrari next year. Not true according to Brundle though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

GarIT wrote: »
    Sky have been hearing a rumour that Brawn will take over Ferrari in 2015.

Martin brundle said he text brawn and he said "not true."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭lolie

Frostie, me and another fella racing Alonso away from the lights leaving Yas Marina today!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10150438330724943

Cool vid. Mark Webber would've been proud of your take off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement