Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiltex sheep

Options
  • 22-12-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Anyone know about this breed what are they like ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

135man wrote: »
    Anyone know about this breed what are they like ??

I have ten of them and I find them impressive enough. They are big strong sheep, plenty of milk and rear a decent lamb. I have been putting them to a blackface ram the last couple of years (coz that's all I had!!) and their offspring will outgrow any of the pure scotch I have. So this year I bit the bullet and bought two texel rams and will be hoping to keep the resultant ewe lambs as replacements and build up a decent flock of hiltex. I would be interested to know what rams lads use on the hiltex ewe as I intend to put them back with the texels for the next couple of seasons anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

foxylock wrote: »
    I have ten of them and I find them impressive enough. They are big strong sheep, plenty of milk and rear a decent lamb. I have been putting them to a blackface ram the last couple of years (coz that's all I had!!) and their offspring will outgrow any of the pure scotch I have. So this year I bit the bullet and bought two texel rams and will be hoping to keep the resultant ewe lambs as replacements and build up a decent flock of hiltex. I would be interested to know what rams lads use on the hiltex ewe as I intend to put them back with the texels for the next couple of seasons anyway.

What's their hardiness like?

Do you leave them out on the hill in winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

HillFarmer wrote: »
    What's their hardiness like?

Do you leave them out on the hill in winter?

They are tough ladies but wouldn't compete with the likes of a swaledale or a scottish blackface. I have them on rough grazing at the moment and am giving them a bit of hay, they'll get nothing else until a few weeks before lambing, unless the conditions become atrocious altogether.

Advertisement