Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Increase in Property Prices ?

• 22-12-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Wondering in view of the rise in property prices in Dublin and the prospsect of further increases has Kilkenny prices been affected by the Dublin surge.?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Haven't noticed an increase in prices. But I definitely think property is starting to shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

kikel wrote: »
    Haven't noticed an increase in prices. But I definitely think property is starting to shift.

I'm looking to buy myself at the moment and have been keeping track of houses in the city for the last few years.

On Daft at the moment there is a shortage of good quality houses at reasonable prices in the city - currently in the city there are 138 houses up for sale. Going back 4 years ago you had approx 280 houses for sale in the city. Of the houses that are available currently most are of poor quality or over priced and for that reason a lot of houses currently available have been on the market for a while.

Above is just an observation, I'm not sure what way prices will go as while above would suggest prices should increase for good quality houses coming on to the market there is on the other side, increasing taxes, water charges, decreasing numbers of first time buyers, harder to get mortgages etc... so plenty of reason prices could remain stable or drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Callapso still showing mostly drops: http://collapso.net/Sale-Property/price-changes.php?county=Kilkenny&region=&listing=Active

If you know of any houses that sold recently you'll be able to check the actual settled price on the property price register: https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/pprweb.nsf/PPR?OpenForm

Higher fuel cost negate the type of long commute that was common during the septic tiger.

Asking prices might rise but if there's more people leaving KK than entering then I can't see much of a reason for a real sales pickup. Anyway all it takes a few fools to fall for higher prices and then all sellers will up their price which will entice more stock back into the market which will end up driving prices down another leg.

The only thing to drive up asking prices is borrowed sentiment from the Dublin market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

On Daft at the moment there is a shortage of good quality houses at reasonable prices in the city - currently in the city there are 138 houses up for sale

And lots of them have been for sale for ages. I browse daft regularly so I know what's knocking around.

This says it all really. The lack of lender foreclosure on distressed loans coupled with the fact that it's nigh on impossible to get a mortgage means that there is very little market liquidity and the prices are being artificially inflated by the fact that the foreclosure issue is not being addressed. Think of what putting 30,000 cheap houses on the market would do for the prices!!!

You'd be off your head buying something until that mess is sorted out and it doesn't seem to be happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Been looking too and there's a definite lack of availability and also the value of offer pretty average too.
    Prices have been traditionally among the highest in Ireland outside of Dublin. My sister live up the Midlands and my god you could get a palace for 100k compared to here :(

Rents have definitely sneaked up, can see those clearly. Lack of supply again (landlord told me a lot of people moving to Kilkenny for work; Glanbia, State street, public service etc means always a big demand here).

• Advertisement
Advertisement