Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building a garden wall?

Options
  • 22-12-2013 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am tired of putting back the fence panels every time the wind blows, and a few of the panels will need replacing due to the damage that the wind has done to them.

I was thinking of getting a wall built instead of the fence panels.

Would anyone know how much it would cost to build a wall down the garden?

It is 25m long, and both sides would need to be done.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'm also getting tired of replacing overlap fences. In your situation what is holding up the fences? If it's concrete posts like it is for us then would you consider replacing the fences with concrete slabs?
    I'm thinking of that but am afraid it could cost an arm and a leg.

Would there be any issues regarding planning etc?

Best of luck with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm also getting tired of replacing overlap fences. In your situation what is holding up the fences? If it's concrete posts like it is for us then would you consider replacing the fences with concrete slabs?
    I'm thinking of that but am afraid it could cost an arm and a leg.

Would there be any issues regarding planning etc?

Best of luck with it.

No issues with regards planning as long as the wall is under 2m (or maybe 1.8m) high. Just remember it's a boundary wall so ok it with your neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

P.C. wrote: »
    Hi

I am tired of putting back the fence panels every time the wind blows, and a few of the panels will need replacing due to the damage that the wind has done to them.

I was thinking of getting a wall built instead of the fence panels.

Would anyone know how much it would cost to build a wall down the garden?

It is 25m long, and both sides would need to be done.

Thanks
    A big cost factor will be foundations and how deep down to go to get good solid ground, block laying in its self is not expensive, alot are block laying for 60 cent a block now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TG250

Hi there,
    I received two quotes for a 50 foot wall recently, 6 feet high for €5,000 and €2,700 both for cash! To be fair these costs do include clearing some trees and debris as well.

The problem that I am encountering is that I have spoken to a couple of engineers and a couple of builders and each one is giving me different spec's on how the wall should be built (hence the different costs). I would have thought that building a garden wall was Civil Engineering-101 stuff but apparently not!

I have been told that I should use cavity blocks for the wall and solid blocks for the pillar but I have been given various views on the depth/width of the foundations, hence the disparity. One builder also told me that I must use steel reinforcement, yet others said it's completely unnecessary.

Can anyone advise on what spec's are necessary for a standard garden wall?

Thanks again,

TG

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The forum charter doesn't allow structural advice.
    How many actual 'engineers' have you spoken too? Did you go back to them and say you got conflicting views from another eng?

You'll appreciate you won't have much comeback from a cash paid builder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Fagus

Would you consider planting a hedge ?
    For 24 meter instant hedge 6 ft high would work out a lot cheaper than a wall, and you would not need planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TG250

Thanks Bryan F. - I spoke with two engineers and their view is that the block layer/builder advises on what's needed. (width of blocks, depth of foundation, etc.)

Advertisement