Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any suggestions for a cheap run-around?

• 22-12-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Looks like I need to buy a second car pretty soon. Looking for something to basically cover 5 miles in the morning and 5 miles in the evening (and before anyone suggests it - 2 wheels are a no-go!).

With the sort of mileage I'll be doing, it's no biggy if it's diesel or petrol. Would even go for a van.

I'm not too fussy, but would like something reliable and in or around the €1,000 mark - was thinking an old Honda Accord, or something along those lines. Any suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Plenty of choice in the bangeromics thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

the old petrol accords are good

corollas too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Id stick with petrol tbh. I picked up a Vectra for a similar commute for that budget and I'll be moving it on very soon I think. I don't see any point getting anything too flash or too big if its for a small commute and you expect nothing else out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Engineer

Truckermal wrote: »
    Plenty of choice in the bangeromics thread..

Thanks for the fast reply - can you link me to the thread?

the old petrol accords are good

corollas too

They still look good too - the Accords that is. Especially the coupe version - could easily go for one of those in good nick.

Corollas are bullet-proof too - plenty of mid-90s models still motoring well.
    ba_barabus wrote: »
    Id stick with petrol tbh. I picked up a Vectra for a similar commute for that budget and I'll be moving it on very soon I think. I don't see any point getting anything too flash or too big if its for a small commute and you expect nothing else out of it.

What sort of Vectra did you get? What money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

They still look good too - the Accords that is. Especially the coupe version - could easily go for one of those in good nick.

Corollas are bullet-proof too - plenty of mid-90s models still motoring well.

What sort of Vectra did you get? What money?

2001 Vectra 1.6 elegance climate control and decent spec, very fresh good brand tyres and 9 months NCT with 87k miles.

It was on budget of what you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mucker

Starlet any year mind it and itll mind you had one with 225000 miles on it!! Sold it a while most if its original parts just the usual stuff replaced, prefect nick for the year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

Was in the same position as you a few weeks back, picked up a 95 sunny for less than 500, and yesterday it drove Dublin to west cork w/out any bother, plenty out there, just put searches on adverts, donedeal even carsireland, n don't be afraid of the vintage on donedeal, some quality dailys there

mondymike wrote: »
    Was in the same position as you a few weeks back, picked up a 95 sunny for less than 500, and yesterday it drove Dublin to west cork w/out any bother, plenty out there, just put searches on adverts, donedeal even carsireland, n don't be afraid of the vintage on donedeal, some quality dailys there

Holy smokes - haven't seen the Sunnys in a while. We had one years ago - a 2.0d and she was a nice motor.

Got sorted yesterday - a nice '00 Focus. Took it for a test drive and she was unbelievably tight - not a squeak or a rattle out of her. After a good hoover and a shampoo, she'll be tip-top. Not bad for a little over €600!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

Holy smokes - haven't seen the Sunnys in a while. We had one years ago - a 2.0d and she was a nice motor.

Got sorted yesterday - a nice '00 Focus. Took it for a test drive and she was unbelievably tight - not a squeak or a rattle out of her. After a good hoover and a shampoo, she'll be tip-top. Not bad for a little over €600!

neither had I. Let alone auto, overdrive n all!

Focus R a craicer, if you are brave, the 1.6 react well to webers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

you could get a mark one avensis for feck all these days. The 1.6 isnt bad on juice either.

Advertisement