Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riello RDB1 Completey Dead

Options
  • 22-12-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi,

I've gone through the various threads about the Riello burners but can't find any where it is completely dead. It was working fine this morning but now, nothing. Pressing the red reset button (which is unlit) does nothing. There is no absolutely no sound from the thing at all.

I realise that I'll probably have to get someone out (it's overdue a service anyway) but if there's anything I can try myself before, that'd be great.

Cheers for any ideas.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hi,

I've gone through the various threads about the Riello burners but can't find any where it is completely dead. It was working fine this morning but now, nothing. Pressing the red reset button (which is unlit) does nothing. There is no absolutely no sound from the thing at all.

I realise that I'll probably have to get someone out (it's overdue a service anyway) but if there's anything I can try myself before, that'd be great.

Cheers for any ideas.

Is there any fuse or circuit breaker after tripping on the main board ?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

Is there any fuse or circuit breaker after tripping on the main board ?

No, it all looks fine. Nothing tripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Have you checked the high limit stat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Is the re set button lighting up.

dpofloinn wrote: »
    Have you checked the high limit stat

That's the white pin protruding behind that little plastic top-hat?! I tried pushing it in once but nothing happened. Is it meant to stay in? I read some previous threads warning about messing with it so I didn't want to push my luck.

dzer2 wrote: »
    Is the re set button lighting up.

No. And when I press it, absolutely nothing happens.

• Advertisement

Can you confirm that you have power at the burner
    First check the time switch there should be a light on this when on.

Can you confirm that you have power at the burner
    First check the time switch there should be a light on this when on.

I assume that you mean the time switch in the kitchen? It's a mechanical one so there is no light, but I just had a fiddle around with it and the boiler went on for a minute, and then off, so it must be this. Normally we switch it on and off using the little black switch in the top left corner (goes: on, off, on, off).

I can't figure out how to use this one though. There aren't any little clock hands like you normally see on them, or any of the little plastic switches around the edge of the dial for setting the times you want it to go on and off etc. I guess I'll just have to keep fiddling with it. Cheers!

I assume that you mean the time switch in the kitchen? It's a mechanical one so there is no light, but I just had a fiddle around with it and the boiler went on for a minute, and then off, so it must be this. Normally we switch it on and off using the little black switch in the top left corner (goes: on, off, on, off).

I can't figure out how to use this one though. There aren't any little clock hands like you normally see on them, or any of the little plastic switches around the edge of the dial for setting the times you want it to go on and off etc. I guess I'll just have to keep fiddling with it. Cheers!

Now you have the source of the problem

Hope you get it going as its going to be cold tonite and you could do without the expense this time of year.

Now you have the source of the problem

Hope you get it going as its going to be cold tonite and you could do without the expense this time of year.

Cheers. I've had a fiddle around with it and it went on once and then back off again. Even when I set the switch to on permanently now it does nothing. I'm assuming they're fairly cheap and easy to replace?!

Cheers. I've had a fiddle around with it and it went on once and then back off again. Even when I set the switch to on permanently now it does nothing. I'm assuming they're fairly cheap and easy to replace?!

Dont know the price but simple to replace most important you need to have a phase tester or meter to test for current you will pick up a switch in any good electrical wholesale shop. If you are competent at replacing it.

• Advertisement

Dont know the price but simple to replace most important you need to have a phase tester or meter to test for current you will pick up a switch in any good electrical wholesale shop. If you are competent at replacing it.

Well, I guess I'll check it out online tomorrow and decide if it's something I want to try myself. There's bound to be some half-decent videos lurking around Youtube. Cheers for you help, hope you have a good (and warm!) Christmas.

UPDATE: I managed to get it going by pressing the high limit stat reset, but it only stayed on for a minute before it stopped again. I don't want to try again because from what I've read on here, it could be dangerous. I've got a guy coming out tomorrow to look at it, but was wondering if anyone could suggest what the likely cause might be and will it be expensive to fix? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

UPDATE: I managed to get it going by pressing the high limit stat reset, but it only stayed on for a minute before it stopped again. I don't want to try again because from what I've read on here, it could be dangerous. I've got a guy coming out tomorrow to look at it, but was wondering if anyone could suggest what the likely cause might be and will it be expensive to fix? Cheers.

Circulating pump / air lock or possibly a faulty stat I'd say , though I'm open to correction from one of the lads who work on oil boilers.

Egass13 wrote: »
    Circulating pump / air lock or possibly a faulty stat I'd say , though I'm open to correction from one of the lads who work on oil boilers.

I've just had a guy out to look at it and he reckoned it might be the pump. He held some kind of tester to it that was supposed to spin around but it only moved a little bit. A few taps of the pump did little to help. Would this cause the burner to be completely dead? He reckons he can get a new one for €70. Cheers.

I've just had a guy out to look at it and he reckoned it might be the pump. He held some kind of tester to it that was supposed to spin around but it only moved a little bit. A few taps of the pump did little to help. Would this cause the burner to be completely dead? He reckons he can get a new one for €70. Cheers.

No really but it would trip the high limit because of no circulation , which I suppose in turn would prevent boiler from firing. Did he remove the screw in the middle and see if he can get a turn on it ? A lot of the time their just stuck . Handy job providing the pump valves either side are ok .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

No really but it would trip the high limit because of no circulation , which I suppose in turn would prevent boiler from firing. Did he remove the screw in the middle and see if he can get a turn on it ? A lot of the time their just stuck . Handy job providing the pump valves either side are ok .

if the burner trips because of poor or no circulation then yes the high limit stat will kill all power to the burner until manually reset it sounds very much like egass said some pumps can be got moving again but not all

should have said power will still be going to stat from timer so treat as live

He didn't remove any screw, just tapped lightly on the pump to see if it would make a difference. If I were to try myself in the morning, what do I do after I remove the screw?! Cheers for the help lads.

He didn't remove any screw, just tapped lightly on the pump to see if it would make a difference. If I were to try myself in the morning, what do I do after I remove the screw?! Cheers for the help lads.

Use a big flat head to see if you can spin the motor a few times , then replace screw and turn it on. You will get a drop if water out of it so just make sure you have a towel or the like covering anything that might get damaged .

Use a big flat head to see if you can spin the motor a few times , then replace screw and turn it on. You will get a drop if water out of it so just make sure you have a towel or the like covering anything that might get damaged .

Grand, will give it a go in the morning. Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Feed back!!??

• Advertisement
Advertisement