Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC HD TV in Limerick City?

• 22-12-2013 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭

Hope this thread is okay in this forum,mods please move if deemed appropriate...

I'm considering switching from SKY tv to UPC for tv & broadband.

I'd like to know if UPC's HD quality is as good as Sky's HD before I commit to the change. I'm in the Caherdavin area so if anyone in this area has made a similar change, I'd like to hear their experiences/opinions, good bad or indifferent. I've heard varying reports of UPC's HD quality so I'm anxious to get some info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We switched from Sky to UPC. It was appalling, we had nothing but problems with the Horizon box and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Truly, truly awful product. Some days we had tv channels other days we didn't. We never had access to the on demand or box sets. It wouldn't let us record most of the time, when it did let us record it would say nothing was recorded, but a day later it was listed under recordings.

How UPC can claim to be a service provider with Horizon beggars belief. My advice is stay with Sky, you may end up having to go back to them, except you'll have paid for a service from UPC that you aren't receiving. In the end we had no TV channels, no phone and no internet access. Never ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Just to give another side of the story , I have phone tv and broadband from them and wild horses wouldn't drag me away , I can't actually remember when the last time was that we had down time and any problems that I had ( with the old box not behaving ) were sorted out fast enough . BUT ! I am on the other side of town fairly close to UPC .

One of my mates is over at the back of Caherdavin and he has the HD package and he seems to have no problems .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Internet UPC, Sky for the telly if it's affordable. If you had never had sky you won't really care and the full UPC service will be perfect. If you are used to using sky then you will find horizons interface a pain in the arse.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Has anyone here changed recently from Sky to UPC, and liked it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Had Sky HD before and it seems to be the same as UPC's HD.
    I think Sky only output 720p anyway and expect UPC to be the same.
    UPC's Horizon has lots of issues started up but they seem to have resolved them with patch updates etc.
    Ideally though I'd stick with Sky for Tv due to the superior box, (faster and better menu system) and use UPC for broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

If you want HD Tv then Stick with sky, as they have far more channels available in Hd. Also the Horizon box currently has issues connecting to some LG make smart TV'S.

The new Horizon box is completely flawed with problems, have had to fit about 10 of them so far and every one has had various problems with channels changing being slow and wifi range also being an issue, I have found changing the freq the box broadcasts on helps from CH1- to CH11 or 7.

Finally you need to note, UPC'S phoneline is not the same as a standard phoneline, you will need to plug a digital Dect phone into the back of the Horizon box etc something that no1 seems to be aware of until they get it installed.

Some more info and impressions of Horizon box.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057090828

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Blazer wrote: »
    Had Sky HD before and it seems to be the same as UPC's HD.
    I think Sky only output 720p anyway and expect UPC to be the same.
    UPC's Horizon has lots of issues started up but they seem to have resolved them with patch updates etc.
    Ideally though I'd stick with Sky for Tv due to the superior box, (faster and better menu system) and use UPC for broadband.

Sky HD is 1080i not 720p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Update. Despite the fact that our account was fully paid up and closed a month ago, UPC have just debited another months payment from our account. What kind of incompetent fcuking tools are these people. The guy virtually accused my husband of lying when he rang them to sort it out earlier this morning. We have absolutely no equipment from them. We had so much hassle with them that we checked the account balance last month and it showed account closed and 0 due on the account.

Anyone thinking of doing business with UPC should, in my opinion, do themselves a massive favour and avoid UPC.

Advertisement