Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions league qualification.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

5starpool wrote: »

I hope Liverpool can keep it up, even if the next 2 games go against them, but I've far less confidence they will hold out than I'd like to have.

Why less confident?

Ye are playing as well as anyone expected. Ye must have a great chance on that?

If Suarez get injured yer in trouble, but thats outside bet as it is

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Why less confident?

Ye are playing as well as anyone expected. Ye must have a great chance on that?

If Suarez get injured yer in trouble, but thats outside bet as it is

Less confidence as only a few of the team have been involved in scraps for important league places. It's one thing rattling off great performances in the early or mid part of the season, or the end of a season where there is nothing to play for, but there is a different pressure with 8 games left and us right in the mix for top 4 (or better for the really optimistic!). Also the fixtures have us playing the hard teams at home generally and the supposedly easier teams away, but our away form is patchy generally. Suarez has been immense, but he surely can't keep up this form for the season, even if he does stay fit. Sturridge is pretty injury prone as well, so even in a few weeks when he is back who knows how long he will stay available for.

Liverpool are playing great stuff, and I'm delighted for it, but any optimism I have is tempered by all the above. When it comes down to it I don't think Newcastle will be in the mix for top 4, and I think Everton are likely to fall away as well and not be within 6-8 points of it by mid April, and Liverpool could be in the same boat I fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

If man utd finish in the top 4, assuming they don't buy a midfield in January, I personally will buy Moyes a Ferarri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If man utd finish in the top 4, assuming they don't buy a midfield in January, I personally will buy Moyes a Ferarri.

bookmarked:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

5starpool wrote: »
    What I find funny is Scottish League or LOI only fans deliberately making silly posts in threads that are clearly about the English league just to rub it in how much better than English clubs fans they think they are.
    Please don't lump us in with f*ckin Celtic fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Quick question....if an English team win the champions league and finish 5th, is it still the case that fourth go into the Europa league?

Secondly, has the new rule come into play with the winners of the UEFA cup going into the champions league?

So you could have a scenario of Spurs winning the Uefa cup, Chelsea winning the champions league and both teams finishing 5th and 6th.

What happens then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

joe123 wrote: »
    Quick question....if an English team win the champions league and finish 5th, is it still the case that fourth go into the Europa league?

Secondly, has the new rule come into play with the winners of the UEFA cup going into the champions league?

So you could have a scenario of Spurs winning the Uefa cup, Chelsea winning the champions league and both teams finishing 5th and 6th.

What happens then?

End of days?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

joe123 wrote: »

What happens then?

If one of the English teams win the CL and finish outside the top 4 then 4th goes into the Europa. The winners of the Europa will only get a CL place from next season, not this one.

If next season the team that finishes outside the CL places wins the EL then that country will get an extra one for that team, if they win the EL but qualify for the CL anyhow I don;t think they get an extra place.

I could be wrong but I think that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think City and Arsenal are nailed on for Champions League spots, then I would be surprised if Chelsea didn't get a spot also. Fourth spot comes down to Liverpool, United and Everton for me. Liverpool are in pole position at the minute and with the form of Suarez lately they have to be favourites, but as a Liverpool fan we have seen it all too often where Liverpool crumble and I am expecting United to come good too, so it should be an interesting battle come the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

For the record, Everton are outperforming all the teams around them in terms of cost of players, wage bill

I fear their small squad will count against them by the end of the season

Everton could well be top in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

arsenal, city, liverpool and everton have been the 4 most impressive teams to date. Chelsea have been so/so and utd and spurs not great on most occasions Ive seen them. Having said that utd and spurs only a couple of wins off the pace so if they were to pick up form anything could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have looked at previous tables and the normal trend is that the top 4 has been normally resolved by Christmas with just the order to be sorted.

This season though is too tight to call, a couple of bad results and you're out of the top 4, couple of good ones and you're top of the league.

Great to see form an entertainment point of view and I would not rule any of the top 8 from being in the final shake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

1. City - Best team and squad with a great manager to boot.
    2. Arsenal - Great manager and great first XI but I reckon they'll drop points when injuries, fixtures pile up
    3. Chelsea - Mourinho teams tend to get stronger as the season goes on, they've stuttered but once Jose knows his best team they'll improve in a big way. Defense could be a problem though.
    4. Man Utd - Think they will pip Liverpool and not by much for fourth. United have been improving slowly but surely and have the experience and the squad to get top four.
    5. Liverpool - Defensively not as impressive as I thought they'd be which I think will be their undoing, the squad isn't the most impressive but another great first XI and a manager that clearly knows his best team(but I don't think Gerrard belongs in their best team but he'll play every game when fit).
    6. Everton - Defensively sound, goals coming all over the team at the minute but a small squad and they're in danger of becoming over reliant on Lukaku for goals when the aforementioned 'goals from all over the team' don't flow as they have been.
    7. Spurs - Think Sherwood will be manager for longer than expected but a manager will come in at some point and I think that lack of continuity will affect the team.

Could be called an optimistic/delusional United fan but there's plenty there for Moyes and the team to get top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

murpho999 wrote: »
    I have looked at previous tables and the normal trend is that the top 4 has been normally resolved by Christmas with just the order to be sorted.

This season though is too tight to call, a couple of bad results and you're out of the top 4, couple of good ones and you're top of the league.

Great to see form an entertainment point of view and I would not rule any of the top 8 from being in the final shake up.

Really? We (Arsenal) had a fair few close run things over the years, I don't think that's true at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Think Sherwood will be manager for longer than expected but a manager will come in at some point and I think that lack of continuity will affect the team.

Sherwood has specifically said he won't carry on as interm manager, its all or nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really? We (Arsenal) had a fair few close run things over the years, I don't think that's true at all.

In general I mean over a period of 10 years with a few exceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

murpho999 wrote: »
    In general I mean over a period of 10 years with a few exceptions.

2012, end of December: Tottenham Hotspur occupied fourth place with Arsenal, Everton, and West Bromwich Albion all tied for fifth.

2011, end of December: Tottenham 3rd 39pts, Arsenal 4th 36 pts, Liverpool and Chelsea 34 pts

2009, end of December: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/league-table.html?season=2009-2010&month=DECEMBER&timelineView=date&toDate=1293667199999&tableView=CURRENT_STANDINGS
    3 teams within 2 points.

2008: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/league-table.html?season=2008-2009&month=DECEMBER&timelineView=date&toDate=1230595200000&tableView=CURRENT_STANDINGS
    Villa are in the top 4!

I don't think it's true at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Usually don't like to stick my neck out as a pool fan, but I do think with an 8 point gap over United we would have to be considered slight favorites over them for CL, especially with how Suarez is playing. United need to regain close to title winning form and I don't know if they have that in them. 2ppg from here on in will probably not be good enough for them and there's question marks if they can even reach that.

I think city will win the league and I'll be shocked if Arsenal don't make top 4. If Chelsea don't sign a striker they could find themselves in trouble.

Everton are a strange one. I never expected them to be here at this stage. You have to take your hat off, they are doing fantastically. I keep hoping they'll fade away and pushed to making a call I will predict they will - however nothing they've done so far suggests they will, they're up there on merit.

Spurs I fell have been very lucky to still be somewhat in the race and with the competition the way it is I would predict they will fall a few points short of being in the race. But who knows.

At this stage I would say the main battle for 4th is Liverpool vs United, with Chelsea and Everton being possible teams to get involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I think people are being very quick to knock United. I am a Man U fan, but we have had an absolutely shocking start to the season, playing generally kack with a few exceptions, yet are still within touching distance of the top. All of the squad (bar Fellaini) has been involved in title races, and the team has started to show signs of form from unexpected sources recently. We're 8 points off the top, yet City made up that gap in 5 games (open to correction) at the end of the season before last.

I think City will easily win the league this year, but having watched Arsenal vs Chelsea earlier, I really think United will be pushing for 2nd all the way. I can't see Liverpool staying the pace, it seems too much of a leap to make in one year.

Everton to fall back too, with Spurs and Newcastle staying roughly where they are.

I could be wrong, no doubt, but those are my feelings at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Call me mad but I can't see Liverpool dropping off all that much, I think they're a savage team.

1. City
    2. Liverpool
    3. Arsenal
    4. Chelsea
    5. Everton
    6. United
    7. Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I think Newcastle can stay at 6th as well

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I blame this auto correct jazz

If only jazz was autocorrected...

1. Chelsea - I think they'll start grinding out results from here on, it won't be pretty but I think they'll win ugly.

No idea of the rest, I think City and Arsenal will be top 4 they have a squads and experience.

The last spot I think is between United/Liverpool and spurs. I don't think Everton will have the squad and the thoughts of Pardew's smug face in the top 4 would herald the 4 horsemen so that rules them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Didn't expect the Blues to be in with a shout at this stage and certainly wouldn't expect it in April but looking at our run of fixtures, we could conceivably be going into the Derby in a very healthy position. Also, Martinez is likely to add a couple of bodies in January. Assuming he hangs onto everyone else, who knows. Our last three home fixtures are Arsenal, United and then City so even if we're not up there directly, there's some massive, massive games to come.

Can't wait for it all to unfold but as bitter as ever, I desperately hope it all comes crashing down for Liverpool :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

City should win it, Chelsea are the 2nd best team in the league imo. Arsenal won't crumble like some are predicting but they won't trouble the top 2. I think United will improve and close the gap on Liverpool, but not fast enough to pip them to 4th.

1) City
    2) Chelsea
    3) Arsenal
    4) Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Im as abu as anyone but for united not to finish in the top 4 seems mad to me. Even with there really poor start. Hope Im wrong im desperate for Liverpool to get back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Tell you what, the way this is shaping up just finishing in the top four will give me the ability to gloat and be smug to all those writing the team off. What a strange feeling.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

kryogen wrote: »
    Tell you what, the way this is shaping up just finishing in the top four will give me the ability to gloat and be smug to all those writing the team off. What a strange feeling.

It's weird going from being disappointed at second to wanting 4th...

What's it your meant to say... is it 'Next season'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

1.city
    2.arsenal
    3.chelsea
    4.liverpool(liverpool lose out to champions league winners manchester united)
    5.united

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Halfway through and Spurs only 3 behind Everton, 2 behind Liverpool and level with United. Only 6 behind Arsenal too. Not bad considering how "poor" we've been doing and how good Arsenal and Liverpool have been. Imagine if we hit form! Write us off at your peril ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

THFC wrote: »
    Halfway through and Spurs only 3 behind Everton, 2 behind Liverpool and level with United. Only 6 behind Arsenal too. Not bad considering how "poor" we've been doing and how good Arsenal and Liverpool have been. Imagine if we hit form! Write us off at your peril ;)

8 behind Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

AdamD wrote: »
    8 behind Arsenal

:o Ah, apologies, somehow confused Chelsea with Arsenal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

The way I see it ending up is:

1. Man City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man United

As a Spurs fan I am happy we are still in contention after all the unrest and hammerings, but think we will fall just short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

KingdomYid wrote: »
    The way I see it ending up is:

1. Man City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man United

As a Spurs fan I am happy we are still in contention after all the unrest and hammerings, but think we will fall just short.

swap chelsea for city for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Man City
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I tend to think the current top 4 will be the top 4 - just the final running order to be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Suprised so many people are writing off Everton for top 4. We've the lowest league defeats and one of the best defensive records. But that being said, I think the derby match is gonna be huge for a top 4 push

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

1. City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Arsenal
    4. Liverpool
    5. United
    6. Spurs
    7. Everton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

1. City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Arsenal
    4. United
    5. Liverpool
    6. Everton
    7. Spurs

United are only 5 points off a place despite playing woefully, my main concern for is Champions League participation this season and the energy that could take out of the team. City should win it easily, but I'd prefer if it was Chelsea. A lot of football left to be played.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

In no particular order, who'll be in the CL spots at the end of the season?

Most likely the current quartet - I reckon with a 5 point margin over Utd if (yes if!) Liverpool beat Everton and Man Utd do not beat Liverpool (draw no good for them) that should seal it.

some of the make/break

Sun 19/01/14 Chelsea v Manchester United
    Tue 28/01/14 Liverpool v Everton
    Wed 29/01/14 Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City
    Mon 03/02/14 Manchester City v Chelsea
    Sat 08/02/14 Liverpool v Arsenal
    Sun 09/02/14 Tottenham Hotspur v Everton
    Wed 12/02/14 Arsenal v Manchester United/Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur
    Sat 22/02/14 Chelsea v Everton
    Sat 01/03/14 Manchester United v Manchester City
    Sat 08/03/14 Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur/Newcastle United v Everton
    Sat 15/03/14 Manchester United v Liverpool/Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal (the Ides of March)

bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Still think its going to be the same teams as last year in different order. I might be underestimating Liverpool though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Liverpool!

Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

1 City.
    2 Chelsea
    3 Arsenal.
    4 Liverpool.

Top 3 to be separated by a couple of points.

Liverpool to just about scrape it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I still have a suspicion that United will be very much in the mix at the end of the season, but shocked if they weren't. It all depends on whether player are able to step up to the plate and play like they did under Fergie.
    Cant see anybody else other than Chelsea, City and Arsenal for top 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I reckon the current top 4 is going to finish in the top 4, with City topping the pile, hard to call between the rest then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I still have a suspicion that United will be very much in the mix at the end of the season, but shocked if they weren't. It all depends on whether player are able to step up to the plate and play like they did under Fergie.
    Cant see anybody else other than Chelsea, City and Arsenal for top 3

Getting Rooney and RVP back is bound to make a big difference but the same can be said for Sturridge, gives Liverpool another scoring threat. United really need to win at the weekend, could be 8 points behind which even at this stage of the season is a big lead, and that's just focusing on Liverpool, they'd have to hope Spurs and Everton slip up as well. Reminds me of 09/10 and Rafa's last season, Liverpool chasing Spurs, City and Villa for 4th.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

K-9 wrote: »
    Getting Rooney and RVP back is bound to make a big difference but the same can be said for Sturridge, gives Liverpool another scoring threat. United really need to win at the weekend, could be 8 points behind which even at this stage of the season is a big lead, and that's just focusing on Liverpool, they'd have to hope Spurs and Everton slip up as well. Reminds me of 09/10 and Rafa's last season, Liverpool chasing Spurs, City and Villa for 4th.

Its nice to be the one being chased for a change.
    But hopefully Rodgers is saying to the players that we have to be looking up and not behind us. Try instil in the team that we should be trying to overtake those ahead of us instead of trying to protect the lead from those behind us. Its easier to motivate a team that is chasing something than to tell a team to protect what you have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement