Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon/Toshiba - Laptop Issue(s)

Options
  • 22-12-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

So I purchased a Toshiba laptop (I know now, awful manufacturer) in September from Amazon. This is the laptop in question, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Satellite-U940-11F-Ultrabook-Bluetooth/dp/B00B18B4X2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387737730&sr=8-1&keywords=toshiba+satellite+u940 . Since then a number of issue's have arisen:
    The "hotkeys" or shortcut keys at the top of the keyboard do not all work, some do other's don't.
    The laptop will not go into sleep mode unless I close the lid. It makes no difference what I set the power saving settings to.

The main issue is, however, that the screen cracked on it. I was holding the base of the laptop and had my two thumbs stabilising the screen and the screen cracked all down the left side. The pressure I placed on it was minimal and imo it was regular use of the laptop and not through a fault of my own that this happened.

Unfortunately, I've been in college and only finished exams this week so I couldn't afford to be without a laptop until now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=543125
    Toshiba
    All Toshiba laptops come with a 12 month or 3 year warranty (depending on the model). Call 0870 066 0191 for all technical and warranty queries. Toshiba Global Support Centre (TGSC) operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Calls charged at the UK National rate..

This standard warranty only covers hardware failures and does not cover damage, misuse or software problems. Toshiba's Collect and Return service is only available to systems that are located within the UK and Ireland. The customer must register their warranty to use the Collect and Return; service. This can be done over the phone when contacting the TGSC.

The TGSC agent will take the details from the customer regarding their system (the system serial number will be required), their contact details and details of the problem itself. The agent will attempt to resolve the problem over the telephone or guide the customer to a relevant place such as a web site or third party that can provide the resolution if required. If the problem appears to be a hardware related one and it cannot be resolved over the telephone the customer will be asked whether they wish to get the system repaired.

Once the warranty status has been verified, the TGSC agent will provide the customer with a call reference number. The call itself will then be escalated to the Depot who will make contact with the customer to make the collection arrangements.

The Depot will arrange for DHL to collect the system from the customer. If the customer is located in the Republic of Ireland or the Channel Islands then the customer is responsible for packing the system themselves. Elsewhere DHL operate a "box on board" service where they will put the system into a box for the customer. Please ensure that your customers witness DHL place the system inside the box and the place the box inside a DHL security bag and seal it as this will help to stop any disputes later on. The collections are made on the next working day after the collection was agreed with the customer by the Depot.

All deliveries to and from the Depot by DHL are fully insured against damage or loss. However if the customer has packed the system themselves and the packing was not sufficient then they would not be covered against any damage.

The system will be inspected for any marks, damage etc. and the contents received will be recorded. The system will then be passed to the workshop for assessment and repair.

The Depot aim to repair 90% or more of all systems within 3 working days of receipt at their workshop. Please note this target doesn't include any delays that may occur if the Depot have to contact the customer for further information nor does it include any delay due to parts availability.

As per the above, it doesn't seem to be too hopeful that I'll have any chance of getting this fixed under warranty. I've learnt my lesson about Toshiba laptops but just wondering would anyone have any advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Amazon are usually excellent on these matters. Honestly, you would be better off emailing or calling them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get in touch with Amazon straight away. No point trying to guess what will happen.

As an aside, we use Toshiba as our work laptops and I've nothing but good things to say. I've had two Tecra and a Portege and they've been real workhorses for me. Taken a lot of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Emailed amazon, told me to email Toshiba. Emailed Toshiba and just waiting on a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Emailed amazon, told me to email Toshiba. Emailed Toshiba and just waiting on a reply

Something to bear in mind should push come to shove:
    Toshiba are only legally obliged to honour their guarantee in accordance with its terms and conditions, they have no other responsibility to you. Amazon are the retailer and therefore have a legal obligation to you in accordance with consumer law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Best of luck but once you've physical damage it's an uphill battle to prove a fault rather than abuse, you're almost certainly going to have to try small claims court. Do you have gadget/contents insurance you could claim on?

That said Amazon are known for being excellent, they will normally suggest contacting the manufacturer but will revert to dealing with you if you refuse.

Bit late now but I wouldn't deal with the manufacturer directly in cases like this because as soon as they say it's physical damage Amazon will say the same. If Amazon take it back their customer service might have given you the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement

Amazon emailed back just saying return it for a full refund. So impressed by them, was expecting to have to fight a bit and at best maybe get a credit note.

The search for a new laptop starts again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Go with Amazon and stick with dealing with them I find them to be bloody brilliant in most cases.

Bepolite wrote: »
    Go with Amazon and stick with dealing with them I find them to be bloody brilliant in most cases.

They'd be the main retailer I'd use online anyways, this has just reinforced that.

Advertisement