Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV & Ethernet traffic on one cable?

Options
  • 22-12-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I read that to stream HD movie over your home network that you would need dual cat6 cables, one for audio and one for video?
    Is it not the case that the signal from my ariel carried on a coax cable contains several Muxs which each contain multiple HD channels. So why can we not do the same thing with cat 6?
    In short is there any way to have just a single cable run that will carry network traffic and also a TV signal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

I think the audio and video may be referring to a way to extend the length of a HDMI lead ??

If you are streaming over network, 1 cable, or even wireless is good enough.

If you are trying to distribute a digital TV mux around the house, there are adapters available, but quality is very suspect. Coax is the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Are you asking whether you can receive both network data and a tv signal directly into the network port on your computer?
    If so, the short answer is no.

You could transmit a tv signal over ethernet with some sort of hdmi to ethernet adapter, but once it gets to your computer the network controller is going to dump everything it receives because it only knows how to handle properly formatted TCP/IP data, and not the garbled mess of bits it's just received.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

Your final option is to install a TV receiver that can stream over network, with remote control, but you all have to watch the one channel together!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Advertisement