Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Allowance/Break contract

Options
  • 22-12-2013 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Will pensioners be able to terminate there contracts following the abolition of the telephone allowance without penalty ? I believe this was allowed last year? I only ask this because my father got an amazing one off 5 euro discount to enter a 12month contract in September and knowing no better accepted the offer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

donegal11 wrote: »
    Will pensioners be able to terminate there contracts following the abolition of the telephone allowance without penalty ? I believe this was allowed last year? I only ask this because my father got an amazing one off 5 euro discount to enter a 12month contract in September and knowing no better accepted the offer.
    I am not sure what action can be taken here. As this action was not initiated by eircom I am not sure what action can be taken. I will get an answer on this issue and post here.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

?

?
    Hi Donegal11
    apologies, I have not received any information on this query as yet. I have asked for response again and will post here as soon as I have this.
    Tony

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

?
    Hi donegal11

Apologes for the delays, tony has been unavailable for a while but if you would like to PM me your landline number I'll look in to this for you.

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ncase

My 79 year old mother has become another victim of eircom sales people prepared to say anything to get a sale.

Every sales person tell's her a different tale...
    Hi did your father get called about a promotion (Oct-Dec time frame) before the department social protection phone allowance ended Jan 2014. Did he get a late evening marketing call where he was talked into a verbal contract and was signed for a 1year contract with cease charges if you want the contract ended? This happened to one of my elderly relatives.

I'm still waiting for a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

Of course the contract would still stand. Its not Eircoms, nor any other providers fault that the government got rid of the DSP allowance in the budget... so legally, THEIR terms and conditions have not changed.

psalbmb wrote: »
    Of course the contract would still stand. Its not Eircoms, nor any other providers fault that the government got rid of the DSP allowance in the budget... so legally, THEIR terms and conditions have not changed.
    Do you work for eircom ? You seem to be posting many smart replys on this forum? Anyway last year pensioners were allowed to break contract without penalty. It would be a disgusting practice to lock poor pensioner who have been customers for there lifetime into 12month contracts just before the phone allowance was cut. I'd also love to see transcripts of the conversion as the only reason I know of the specific terms was by looking at the bill since and searching for the promotion online. I believe the phrasing of the offer was more €10 euro off per month not a one of €5 locking them into a 12 month contract.

• Advertisement

Hi

Did your relatives bill look like these. October bill was with DSP allowance and January bill was after the eircom marketing call that lead to legally binding verbal contract.  A follow up letter was sent to your relative's house but OAP's wouldnt even understand that had already signed for 1 yr contract with early termination fees.

I would like to see link to the promotion as well. I didnt seem to able to find it on eircom.net.

Didn't receive a letter but heres the link to the promotions and the amazing eircom Consumer €5 opt-in contract promotion (#3). 

The 5 euro promotion would only show in the first bill since signing up not the others since it's a once off 5 euro

edit: seen the bill now ,same with me, the sales person framed it that it was €10 off a month to my father not €5 for ONE month. Very questionable sales practices picking on eldery. Would love to hear record off the sales call. From your letter the terms of the contract from eircom where hidden just thanks for the loyalty :rolleyes:.

Oh we must be very cynical people to think that 300,000+ OAP were exposed to marketing techniques that would confuse you or I let alone a OAP not used to such schemes! I am requesting a recording of said call but so far Eircom has been avoiding answering that particular question.

I read that one option was Eircom would play call over phone while manager was on phone. Of course, no real option to consider call or intent of OAP so I will want the full recording for our view and you should do the same. Gettting permission from relative for you to act on their behalf would be a useful thing to do.

Anyone else's elderly relative on boards.ie affected by this late evening marketing call from October to December 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭2pack

We are pretty disappointed with Eircom but will probably have to grin and bear it til the contract runs out. We were told untruths by the sales team and recordings were checked.
    its took a while and its all more hassle and upset for the elderly and they just do not need this. very unfair. When contract up we are gone and will not be returning. IF there was a way we could break it we would.

True but does it make it right to exploit the elderly. I am saddened to see such marketing tactics on OAPS. Keep replying to this thread if any more elderly relatives have been affected.

still await reply?

still await reply?
    I think you could be waiting a very long time based on my elderly relatives experience so far.

2pack wrote: »
    We are pretty disappointed with Eircom but will probably have to grin and bear it til the contract runs out. We were told untruths by the sales team and recordings were checked.
    its took a while and its all more hassle and upset for the elderly and they just do not need this. very unfair. When contract up we are gone and will not be returning. IF there was a way we could break it we would.
    Hi 2pack
    if recordings were checked and any untruths discovered it would be unusual not to be let out of contract. If you do want us to have this checked again, just PM me with your details and brief outline of your issue.
    Tony

ncase wrote: »
    still await reply?
    I think you could be waiting a very long time based on my elderly relatives experience so far.
    Hi ncase
    we have replied to your own relatives issue on your other post and on Twitter.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

psalbmb wrote: »
    Do you work for eircom ? You seem to be posting many smart replys on this forum? Anyway last year pensioners were allowed to break contract without penalty. It would be a disgusting practice to lock poor pensioner who have been customers for there lifetime into 12month contracts just before the phone allowance was cut. I'd also love to see transcripts of the conversion as the only reason I know of the specific terms was by looking at the bill since and searching for the promotion online. I believe the phrasing of the offer was more €10 euro off per month not a one of €5 locking them into a 12 month contract.
    I don't work for Eircom thanks but no thanks lol.I have a proper job haha. I just love to read the same s**t that I and others went through on here. but thanks all the same :)

• Advertisement

eircom seem to want to reply to everyone but me:mad:?

Hi donegal11
    apologies for delay, but I had to make sure I understood your point fully and have all information checked.

·     The opt out only applies when eircom changes it’s prices. This was not a price change by eircom but rather the abolition of an allowance/subsidy by the Government which was announced in the Oct budget and came into effect on January 1st.

·     This differs from last year – when the allowance was reduced – as a result Regulation 14 did apply and we were obliged to provide the 30 day window to our customers.

·     The below statement was issued back at the implementation of the first reduction which was announced in autumn of 2012 and came into effect on 1 Jan 2013.

·     We do offer a package called Talktime Control that has been specifically designed to help the most vulnerable.
    ·     This is for voice only customers with low volume of calls (usually the elderly in order that they keep their fixed line as a security measure to contact family, have panic button etc).

eircom Statement

(Issued 02 January 2013) eircom Group today announced changes that will impact approximately 270,000 of its customers that currently receive a telephone allowance as part of the Household Benefit Scheme.  Due to budgetary constraints, the Department of Social Protection (DSP) has reduced the telephone allowance that is universally applied to everyone over the age of 66. The reduction in the benefit was announced in the recent December 2012 budget.

The telephone allowance is comprised of a contribution from the DSP and a contribution from eircom to all qualifying customers. The monthly benefit covers the value of line rental, a small call allowance and in some cases a contribution towards handset rental.

eircom as the largest fixed line provider in Ireland, applies the benefit as a credit directly to the bill of qualifying customers.

From the 1st of February the credit applied on the bill will reduce from a maximum of €28.09 (inc VAT) per month to €9.50 (inc VAT) a month.*

We have written individual letters to all our impacted customers outlining the changes. Additional staff are on hand at our call centres to answer any questions and ensure customers are on the correct package to suit their individual requirements and minimise the impact of these changes.

The changes are regrettable and eircom is working with the Regulator (ComReg) to ensure that vulnerable customers receive assistance and access to affordable telecommunications. The Company hopes to announce details of specific packages for vulnerable customers in the near future.

Can my father sign up for talktime package ? and would a new 12month contract be started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Can my father sign up for talktime package ? and would a new 12month contract be started

Hi donegal11

Yes, your father is more than welcome to sign up to a new Talktime package and a Twelve month contract would apply.

To explore your options on seek the best value I highly recommend contacting the customer loyalty team on free phone 1901 (after entering the number then choose option 4 then 3 when prompted).

Many thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭2pack

its the talktime control we are on and was told Eircom would do their best to help but its only words,
    I Regret ever signing up to Eircom now and as soon as the contract ends were gone, we wont be caught again

Advertisement