Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Hook-up Leads for EU (full set)

Options
  • 23-12-2013 12:24am

This combination should cover you to plug into most of Europe.
    A screwdriver ought to get you the rest of the way.
    The lively brown bear danced under the blue neutral sky (Uk + Éire rules).

EHUEU_zps23201755.jpg

Comments

13Ato16A_zps2a2b8200.jpg

13A to 16A

Shukoto16A_zps64b70daa.jpg

Shuko to 16A
    There are some variations of shuko plugs and they're usually sealed. This is the most popular (roundy) one and has a wired earth.

16AWallSocket_zpse8d1d4e1.jpg

16A Wall Socket

16ASplitter_zps0ea2fc88.jpg

16A Splitter

16ALeads_zpsd9ac76f8.jpg

16A leads;
    1 x 15metre Artic 1.5mm 3-core, 1 x 7metre Artic 2.5mm 3-core.

16Ato13A_zpsc5ca4116.jpg

16A to 13A
    This isn't necessary it's just handy. It's just a more portable camper, given that there's 13A sockets inside the van already usually.

Tester_zps983b13d4.jpg
    Line Test

SupplyTester_zps79c6bccb.jpg

Supply Tester
    A multimeter can do the same job.

For any inclined to save a good few bob and wire these yourselves just remember that power goes in through the pins (plugs) and comes from the holes (sockets).

Reason being you can electrocute yourself from pins but not if they are plugged in.
    You can't electrocute yourself from a live socket if your fingers don't fit in.
    ...no excuses for wiring dodgy splitters!

If running inverters an earth spike ought to be installed when away from shore power otherwise your on-board MCBO won't detect a leak and won't trip in the event of an earth fault.

• Advertisement

Correction:
    MCBO's don't exist I meant RCBO (Earth leakage and overload protective breaker)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Correction:
    MCBO's don't exist I meant RCBO (Earth leakage and overload protective breaker)
    What and where is one likely to find the RCBO?

Ah, well, I've an RCD installed directly behind the hook-up point in the van interior. It's best have this it as close to the source as possible to reduce the risk of undetected upstream faults. The MCBO ideally would be on the inverter output.
    It's standard practice to have to protect yourself from your inverter after purchase, ie. splicing the DC +ive input with a Maxi-blade fuse or DC MCB circuit breaker, and running the AC out through a MCBO.
    Some double up on the AC breaker functionality to save on wiring and sockets by using 240v changeover relays that switch between shore power and inverter.
    My inverter is just for emergencies, I've enough gubbins to get anywhere between 1v - 24v on DC regulators...covers most scenarios.

I've no idea where coach-builds would put them or even if they would have them. RCD's would be more common leaving earth fault detection up to the supply source. The problem with that arrangement is it won't protect you from an isolated inverter fault or you may not always have access to the supply trips.

Might be in the service manual?

Of course without the potential difference provided by an earth spike the RCBO can't detect an earth fault either. TBH I've never seen anyone use an earthing spike for a camper it's just something I thought of recently. It'd be common and recommended practice for running a gene. though and there should be an RCBO or similar on the gene.
    There's relatively low risk on weekender campers as usually the lack of batteries curtail large inverter reliance.
    Better looking at it than looking for it and all that....

• Advertisement

I use a 400w invert for charging my laptop as it requires some 19 or 21 volts (can't remember which!) to run it. I often wondered if it should have a proper earth but there was no info with the inverter.

On another theme, I have a 12 volt TV, which is powered by a 230 v supply and a converter to 12 volts. I was wondering if it would be safe to cut out the converter and just connect the TV to, say the cigarette light socket or directly to the leisure battery? I was thinking that although they are 12 v batteries, there is 14 v in them and that may damage the TV set?

Any thoughts on that, Sir?

Some double up on the AC breaker functionality to save on wiring and sockets by using 240v changeover relays that switch between shore power and inverter.

Yet another SmartGauge Link :D

ac_system_14.gif

Don't mind the galvanic isolator that's just really a device for steel hulled ships in salt water.

Some boat if it's got a washing machine and an immersion heater!!!

odds_on wrote: »
    I use a 400w invert for charging my laptop as it requires some 19 or 21 volts (can't remember which!) to run it. I often wondered if it should have a proper earth but there was no info with the inverter.

[EDITed:] Not if it's double insulated have a look at the AC power brick and you may find a plastic earth pin.
    If the earth is wired then it ought to be continued through to a protective device and eventually earthed through to a rod, or a domestic DB or EHU protection.

Single insulated inverters usually have a wing nut earthing point near the DC lead connections. I've linked the AC earth and DC ground on mine as a lazy earth bond (one of a few).
    A 400w inverter is probably double insulated so it would not be required as long as it only runs double insulated devices. I couldn't tell you if it's super-safe to run single insulated devices without having a look.

You could run the laptop on a genuine manufacturer recommended DC regulator (car charger) for a lot less battery power though.
    I make ~ a 33% saving with a DC power supply and the right cable compared to an 80% efficient MSW inverter.
    I have yet to see a MSW inverter bite the dust trying to run a switch-mode power supply but I expect there may be an issue over time.

On another theme, I have a 12 volt TV, which is powered by a 230 v supply and a converter to 12 volts. I was wondering if it would be safe to cut out the converter and just connect the TV to, say the cigarette light socket or directly to the leisure battery? I was thinking that although they are 12 v batteries, there is 14 v in them and that may damage the TV set?

Yeah you need a 12v regulator with a 10.5v > 16v input tolerance Amperor do a high-end range
    You'll find similar cheaper elsewhere if you have a look around.
    As long as the regulator's rated output is higher than the device peak consumption in watts or amps @12v (should be written on the device, usually near the power point or on the power supply) and can handle the variable battery voltage states it's all good.

Be aware most cheap car chargers are buck regulators designed around a running engine (they only operate above 12.0v). What you want is a buck/boost regulator.

I tend to verify any cheapy chineese kit with a DMM before plugging in just to be safe. More often than not I exchange the fuses for more device appropriate fast blows too.

Some boat if it's got a washing machine and an immersion heater!!!

It's a narrowboat, a live-in barge. ;)

[EDITed:] Not if it's double insulated have a look at the AC power brick and you may may find a plastic earth pin.
    If the earth is wired then it ought to be continued through to a protective device and eventually earthed through to a rod, or a domestic DB or EHU protection.

Hrmm....just thinking that switch mode power supplies sometimes use the earth for EMI/RFI filtering.

I'll have to get back to you on what an ideal scenario is.

The MCBO is recommended for electrical safety but may trip if it's too sensitive under normal operating conditions.
    Wikipaedia wrote:
    Due to regulations concerning EMI/RFI radiation, many SMPS contain EMI/RFI filtering at the input stage before the bridge rectifier consisting of capacitors and inductors. Two capacitors are connected in series with the Live and Neutral rails with the Earth connection in between the two capacitors. This forms a capacitive divider that energizes the common rail at half mains voltage. Its high impedance current source can provide a tingling or a 'bite' to the operator or can be exploited to light an Earth Fault LED. However, this current may cause nuisance tripping on the most sensitive residual-current devices.

If running inverters an earth spike ought to be installed when away from shore power otherwise your on-board RCBO won't detect a leak and won't trip in the event of an earth fault.

Eating my own words :pac: o clock :o

The earth spike is not required but an RCD is recommended if hard-wiring through to separate socket outlets from the inverter.

Here's the long-winded version :D

hysteria.gif Anyone fancy the super-long-winded version?

I'm gonna go with tying the inverter earth (wing nut connection) to the battery negative (chassis & mains earth bond), put an RCBO on the output and move on. :pac:

Advertisement