Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing out of cot plus won't settle easily

Options
  • 23-12-2013 12:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

My son turned 2 a couple of weeks ago and has been in a very good nap and bedtime routine for almost 9 months now. There have been some changes lately in that I've been at home and he has been moved from a child minder to a crèche (3 hours per say).

He had a sick tummy last Friday week then into a bad cold and now on an antibiotic. I've two issues - first of all is despite brung in a grobag he can (since Thursday) climb out of his cot. Secondly since he learned this trick he has become a nightmare to put into the cot and it took almost 2 hours tonight up settle him as he wants to get out and risk around his room.

Any tips on what to do next as I don't know if a bed is the best option for him. He is not used to blankets so we'd need to keep the grobag on him in winter. He is also being very niggly with regard food. Any help welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would take him out of the gro bag and put him in a fleece sleep suit.
    I moved mine to beds at about 24 months and they were delighted with themselves being big girls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

How did you keep them in the bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

My mam had me in a bed at 18 months.

I was a devil apparently for getting out of the cot and going for a late night wander, so I was put in a bed instead on a recommendation of a friend.
    Once I was in a bed I had no problem staying in it.
    If your worried about him staying in the bed etc, put him in your bed for a few hours and see if he stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We moved O into a bed at 2.5yrs. We stopped using the gro bag as it was too warm and within days he'd fallen out while climbing.

We use the gro clock and it works. I was sceptical at the beginning despite other parents saying it worked for them but it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

We moved our daughter around 17 months to a bed. Wanted to make sure she was totally used to a bed before new baby came.
    With our cot we could remove a few bars first to make a little hole so she could get out herself so she got used to the freedom first.
    Shes in a toddler bed as its closer to the ground.
    We also had a blanket issue and tried so many times without a gro bag and with warmer pjs etc but she still woke up cold as had kicked the blankets off.
    So i got 1 of her smaller gro bags 0-6mnth
    Cut 2 leg holes and sewed around the edges to stop the wadding falling out so she now wears the grobag.
    She always gets a chance to play in her room at somestage during the day and we then tidy it up and close the toy box andcswitch off any toys that make noise so there is nothing she can do if she gets out.
    She also gets a story while lying in bed before her nap snd at night.
    We had no real issues with the change over (except falling out a handfull of times) . But we've always had a good sleeper . (Unless shes not well).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

CaraMay wrote: »
    How did you keep them in the bed?

The eldest took me a bit too literally about not been allowed to get up..so never had an issue there.
    The 2 year old is a bit of a bedtime monkey so just put her back if she got up.

He is so full of beans all the time that i just know this is going to be really hard work.

I've a single bed lined up and have ordered the grobag duvet / sheet etc so once he is in bed he will be covered. I just know he will be out of bed in 5 seconds. I must have put him back in the cot 20 times last night. His sleep times have also gone nuts. Don't know what happened in a matter of days.

I often pondered a stair gate on her door but then she could not get to the toilet.

He is still in nappies and we have a 3 foot stair gate on the door in case he tries to get over it... Think we have a future steeplejack on our hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I'll never understand the grobag thing, when sleepsuits exist. It's hard to get quilted ones over here, admittedly, but you can stick them in pjs underneath on cold nights.

Anyway, into a bed asap, stay with them until they fall asleep, put them back in when they wake up. If they're rollers, put the mattress on the floor. You'll have some tricky nights, but they pick things up pretty quickly.

You can't keep them in the bed, you just need to make sure there's nothing too exciting in the room. No electronic toys, nothing noisy, just cuddlies and books. Run the legs off them during the day, and read them to sleep.

We have a musical nursery rhyme toy my eldest used to love, along with bum patting, but yours might be too old for that now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement