Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling firearm privately

Options
  • 23-12-2013 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

What is the procedure for the above? Or is it better through a firearms dealer? Another thing, just noticed that my current licence has the same expiry date as the old one. I know I should have checked it after getting but do I need to rectify this before sale? Thanks all...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

kay 9 wrote: »
    What is the procedure for the above?
    The process for buying/selling a gun privately is almost the same as from a dealer. The person (buyer) still must apply for a license and have it before you (seller) can hand over the firearm. In section 3.3 of the FCA1 (source of firearm) the buyer would insert your certificate details as opposed to the dealers. Once the deal is done and the person has aquired their license the should leave a copy aswell as showing you the original. You provide them with a receipt for the firearm and use an FCA2 to cancel the license or an FCA1 to transfer to a new firearm (if that is the case).
    Or is it better through a firearms dealer?
    While not a prerequisite it is easier, and the more preferred method (by An Gardaí)
    Another thing, just noticed that my current licence has the same expiry date as the old one. I know I should have checked it after getting but do I need to rectify this before sale? Thanks all...
    It's a printing error, and you should really ask for a reprint. However on the system it will (or should be) the correct date. Better have it than not.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Thanks for clearing that up for me cass. Alls understood now. Dealing through the gardai sounds handier and cheaper. Thanks again.

kay 9 wrote: »
    Dealing through the gardai sounds handier and cheaper.
    You mean RFD?

Just checking.;)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I'm guessing rfd is registered firearms dealer. Yes then :d

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Can I ask

If you sell through a firearms dealer does that mean that you have to transfer ownership to him first?

Let say I want to sell rifle and put it up on boards.ie, is it possible if I find a buyer to showcase the firearm in a dealers for a fee and to carry out the paperwork business there for security reasons etc but that I would retain ownership until transfer?

Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement

photosmart wrote: »
    If you sell through a firearms dealer does that mean that you have to transfer ownership to him first?
    No.

A firearms dealer is allowed to sell firearms and store them. There is no need to sign anything over to them. They just sign your firearm into their dealer registrar (a legal requirement) and it's all good. They may however request a fee for storage.
    Let say I want to sell rifle and put it up on boards.ie, is it possible if I find a buyer to showcase the firearm in a dealers for a fee and to carry out the paperwork business there for security reasons etc but that I would retain ownership until transfer?
    That is exactly how it works. My dealer does not even charge as i put all my business through him, and am usually buying from him. So by him accommodating me he is ensuring his own sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Thanks for the advice - that clears things up

Advertisement