Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COSTA COFFEE SLIGO

Options
  • 23-12-2013 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys.

A few friends and I were talking one evening about how much it costs these days top eat out, one friend was telling me how himself and his wife popped into the new Costa Coffee shop in the Carraroe retail park in Sligo

They ordered two teas, one scone and two small pastries, at a cost of 14.70!!! Is it any wonder that they call this country 'rip off Ireland'! and before you ask he told me that he did complain but was told that that was the prices that they charge, anybody else visit this place?? :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Yes.....this place is a total rip off. I've never set foot in the Carraroe outlet and never will based on an experience I had with the Johnson Court outlet. I found it to be dirty, badly run and the prices are crazy. I really can't understand how anyone pays those prices for prepacked average sandwiches when the choice is there to go in somewhere local and buy a freshly made one.
    I made a complaint to their Head Office with regard to the issues I had but was treated with total contempt.

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Hey Guys.

A few friends and I were talking one evening about how much it costs these days top eat out, one friend was telling me how himself and his wife popped into the new Costa Coffee shop in the Carraroe retail park in Sligo

They ordered two teas, one scone and two small pastries, at a cost of 14.70!!! Is it any wonder that they call this country 'rip off Ireland'! and before you ask he told me that he did complain but was told that that was the prices that they charge, anybody else visit this place?? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

They are a rip off in Johnstons Court so I would expect much of the same out in Carraroe, to which I have never been. Haven't gone back to Johnstons Court either since I got charged €8.30 for a coffee and a sausage roll, and that was over a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I'd rather go to a local coffee shop than that overpriced UK chain, still aghast at that price though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

I went into Costa in Johnson's only because I had to breastfeed my baby and needed somewhere to sit. So I went to buy a bottle of water and sit down to nurse him. Was over €2 for a bottle of water couldn't believe it, anyway I said I only came in to nurse him, the girl was lovely and said to just sit down and feed him no need to buy anything and added that anytime I needed to nurse him to come in and sit down and don't worry about buying anything. So although the prices were crazy at least that staff member was nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Costly Coffee*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I was put off when I was charged 60 cent extra for one tiny pat of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'd rather go to a local coffee shop than that overpriced UK chain, still aghast at that price though!

What has their nationality got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What has their nationality got to do with anything?

Maybe prefer that their money stays here by giving it to a local business compared to a UK multinational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

I have to agree with Mint Sauce, If you go into Matt Lyons' or Cannings on the Pearse Rd you would get a sandwich made up there and then at a fraction of the price, it was out of convenience that we went there in the first place, how sorry was I. Needless to say I won't be going back to Costley Coffee anytime soon!! I am by no means a 'skin flint' but they are taking the pi*s.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Maybe prefer that their money stays here by giving it to a local business compared to a UK multinational.

Thanks for chiming in there, I thought the statement was obvious.

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »

And the VAT on their sales, wages to their local staff, taxes paid by those staff, rates to the ever-frugal Council?

I have to agree with Mint Sauce, If you go into Matt Lyons' or Cannings on the Pearse Rd you would get a sandwich made up there and then at a fraction of the price

You would, but you'd have to eat it in the car.

Don't get me wrong, Costa are a shower of thieving hoores, their coffee is fairly gack to boot, but I don't recall ever being marched into one of their stores at gunpoint and being forced to purchase anything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You would, but you'd have to eat it in the car.

Don't get me wrong, Costa are a shower of thieving hoores, their coffee is fairly gack to boot, but I don't recall ever being marched into one of their stores at gunpoint and being forced to purchase anything.

Cannings have an area you can sit in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Cannings is great. Really friendly staff, nice food and great prices. The only thing that lets it down is the awful toilet.

magnumlady wrote: »
    Cannings is great. Really friendly staff, nice food and great prices. The only thing that lets it down is the awful toilet.

Indeed. The outhouse.

You are not listening, I never said that I was marched at gunpoint into the coffee shop, however like yourself I am entitled to my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Happy Christmas to all.
    I got a Nescafe Dolce Gusto for Christmas. OMG the coffee out of these little pods is beautiful and I think way nicer than Costa. No need for me to pay anymore costa bomb prices now!!!!!:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

My wife and I had a snack in one of their outlets in Spain prices there are way above the average for Spain, an outlet has been open in Carlow towns few months it is always packed ,and not even in the best location in town.. My point most people already know the are a ripoff , but like sheep follow the crowd. let's be fair we all we all like a good old moan after being fleeced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I've been to the Costa in Johnstons Court a few times and yes it is quite expensive.

However I have to say the staff in there are very friendly and I always found the place to be clean and tidy.

Just in relation to the OP's friend, why did he complain to the service staff that work there about the prices out of curiosity? They are probably working for minimum wage and have absolutely no say in the setting of prices for coffee or other beverages and food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I really like their coffee and they are one of best in town bar osta. However, the last time I was in Johnstons court branch, I was charged 4.50 for a gingerbread latte which I consider extortionate. It was a brave move opening a second store but I wish them best of luck as it's better than seeing shops closing which is usually the case in this town.

• Advertisement

@noel Farrell, 10/10 for observation regarding the smiling staff and hygiene, but it still did not stop you drinking coffee in there even though in the back of your mind you were thinking the staff were of low wages!, However I understand that an initial enquiry was made to staff on duty that day which was followed up with an e-mail to their head office, I think that is the trouble with people these days, they will moan about the price of things but haven't the ba*ls to make a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I was so appalled at the rip off that is Costa Coffee(certainly in Johnson Court) that I contacted their Head Office and was met with disregard and contempt. It's irrelevant whether the staff are on low wages or not... They are still getting paid to do a job and in their case it's running a coffee shop and all that that entails. I can't comment on the Carraroe branch as I will never frequent one again but based on what I experienced the attitude and lack of standards comes from the top down in that organisation.

quote="Ham Sambo;88185031"]@noel Farrell, 10/10 for observation regarding the smiling staff and hygiene, but it still did not stop you drinking coffee in there even though in the back of your mind you were thinking the staff were of low wages!, However I understand that an initial enquiry was made to staff on duty that day which was followed up with an e-mail to their head office, I think that is the trouble with people these days, they will moan about the price of things but haven't the ba*ls to make a complaint.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

@noel Farrell, 10/10 for observation regarding the smiling staff and hygiene, but it still did not stop you drinking coffee in there even though in the back of your mind you were thinking the staff were of low wages!, However I understand that an initial enquiry was made to staff on duty that day which was followed up with an e-mail to their head office, I think that is the trouble with people these days, they will moan about the price of things but haven't the ba*ls to make a complaint.

Yes this is a problem with retail in general. People will moan to the staff in store about pricing even though those staff have no control over the setting of prices.

How many of those people that moan to store staff will go to the effort of making a complaint to someone in authority though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I can understand people complaining at the price structure. It's outrageous to spend the better part of €4 on good quality coffee.

I'd imagine this particular business is ultimately doomed to fail, and not expand throughout the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I miss Pizza Hut. If only they would have delivered, Carraroe is too far out of town for someone without a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Botulism wrote: »
    I miss Pizza Hut. If only they would have delivered, Carraroe is too far out of town for someone without a car.

Why, did they have really good coffee at a reasonable price, or am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

sligoface wrote: »
    Why, did they have really good coffee at a reasonable price, or am I missing something here?

Better use of the building. What good is a coffee shop way outside of town?

sligoface wrote: »

I can't imagine the coffee in Costa is high quality, its certainly not in Starbucks, but everyone flocks there all the same. Apparently Chapters coffee is ace, but I'm not a coffee drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

There was a bus that dropped you to within a 15 second walk to the doors of it every 50 minutes.
    Better use of the building. What good is a coffee shop way outside of town?

What good was a pizza restaurant? The best thing that could have went in would have been the likes of Lyons Cafe. That would have guaranteed that the place would be full all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

The coffee in costa isn't bad at all.
    The hipsters would like to say there is but there's a lot worse places in town that's for sure.
    As for their prices though, I don't know are they Dublin prices or what but the cost of the mass produced pre made sandwiches and cakes in particular is just crazy. And they taste shiite.

Advertisement