Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advocating death of drug addicts

Options
  • 23-12-2013 3:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

If a person says something on AH such as "we should round up all travellers and have them shot", or "all travellers should be forcibly sterilized", I'd imagine that would illicit a reaction from the mods, resulting in a warning or a ban - can we have something like this regarding drug addicts?

Talking about a legitimate problem, like drug addiction in Dublin city centre - grand, no problem with that - but dehumanizing and generalizing about all drug addicts and advocating their death like that (or any other ridiculous 'solution' like removing their reproductive rights/ability), is stupid and adds nothing to the thread, and it's getting more common in AH now (not that common though - think it's just a handful of posters).
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

For example:
    I'd be all for junkies being rounded up and disappeared. Contribute nothing towards society.
    (12) thanks from: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88119563#post88119563

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

To be really blunt being a traveller is not a choice. Being a junky is a choice so f*** em.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

it's getting more common in AH now (not that common though - think it's just a handful of posters).

That kind of extreme suggestion has been going on since I joined the site, well over 7 years ago now. It's really not that big (or new) a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

It's not that big a problem, certainly not compared to that directed at other societal subgroups, but when it occurs it is equally as bad saying that kind of crap about another group. Agreed though, it does not occur with the same frequency as it had with other groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

ken wrote: »
    To be really blunt being a traveller is not a choice. Being a junky is a choice so f*** em.

Initially it is, and it's attitudes like that which the OP is talking about, It would be nice if people in general (not pointing fingers) did try to have some consideration for our fellow human beings regardless of their bad decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It's rhetoric by exaggeration. I'd fooking kill anyone who used that online.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sure.... lets censor everything people want to say. Might as well.

Ok, lets change it a bit.

What do people say about politicians? Especially Irish ones?

Bankers?

Meh!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've seen far more comments wishing the death of Enda Kenny and other TD's over the past number of years then I've seen about people wishing the death of drug addicts,

Where's the thread defending Enda?

Given the comments about Enda are actual personal attacks directed at a specific person versus a more general comment aimed at what many people see as a lower end of society that cause problems I'd find the comments about enda far more concerning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Cabaal wrote: »
    Where's the thread defending Enda?

There shouldn't need to be one, why wait for it?

Attacking an individual, or group of people in such a manner is similar to attacking the poster and is supposed to be discouraged. It's been discussed here in feedback before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

To be honest, I might not agree with the sentiment but if its an opinion and its not illegal/defamatory/racist then it can be said. If you disagree with it, then disagree with it on thread. If you want to question a mod decision then please contact the mods by PM. Starting a thread in feedback to target a single post you disagree with is not really what feedback was intended for. This is a discussion site, go, discuss but be aware that , because its not a personal site belonging to a single individual, you may read some opinons you don't like. Thats why we have an ignore option. if you dont like the poster's opinions/posts and they arent against the rules, put them on ignore and move on with your life.

the fact that the post has 12 "thanks" would suggest that its not an opinion held by a single individual either.

closing this thread as it isnt really feedback.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement