Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sesame Oil

Options
  • 23-12-2013 3:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49

I am curious, does anyone know any recipes involving this ingredient? I bought a fancy Ken Hom wok recently and I want ideas. I've googled the Chinese food thread here, but I want recipes specifically involving sesame oil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That's like asking for Indian curry recipes that specifically involve tamarind paste.

Both are just flavourings used in a broad range of recipes & are not ingredients that are central to the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I posted the recipe for Taiwanese 3-cup Chicken here and it requires a good amount of sesame oil.
    Also for Steamed Fish with Garlic and Ginger here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Thud

be careful not to burn/smoke it, it's a smell you will never forget!

Easy dipping sauce:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/wagamamas-gyoza-sauce-187019

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Thud wrote: »
    be careful not to burn/smoke it, it's a smell you will never forget!

Good tip. I only ever use it to finish a dish and never for frying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

In with a dash of soya to finish off a bit of fried rice, yum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I put a dash of it into practically everything chinesey/thai-y, that I cook. Basically if it has noodles and is stir-fried in a wok, then it gets sesame oil in too. But definitely a splash of it at the end - I wouldn't use it to actually cook with as other posters have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Made a mistake of using Sesame to fry some sausages last Monday morning. the smell in the kitchen afterwards!

We had no subflower left, so it was a choice between Sesame, Peanut.

In hindsight I probably should have used butter.

The grill wasn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Made a mistake of using Sesame to fry some sausages last Monday morning. the smell in the kitchen afterwards!

We had no subflower left, so it was a choice between Sesame, Peanut.

In hindsight I probably should have used butter.

The grill wasn't an option.

Peanut (groundnut) oil is a pretty neutral oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I posted the recipe for Taiwanese 3-cup Chicken here and it requires a good amount of sesame oil.

I am so very on this. YUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I tend to marinade chicken/beef for stir fries in soya sauce, sesame oil and a bit of garlic, adds a bit of taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It's definitely designed as a finisher. I like to stir fry bok choi in a little plain oil (sunflower), add some chopped garlic and chopped chili, and when it's starting to wilt, finish with light soy and a swirl of sesame oil. It's also good with warm rice - boil rice and allow to cool considerably, then stir through chopped tomato, spring onion and sesame oil. Have on the side with some fish or chicken.

Advertisement