Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding people selling PS4s and Xbox Ones on Adverts

• 23-12-2013 8:50am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just to say, there's a certain pleasure to be derived from the faint whiff of panic off the sellers of over inflated next gen consoles over on Adverts.
    People who were hoping to get 700 for a console that cost them 400 are now to be seen frantically revising prices down down down.
    Mostly because, post Christmas, they'll be unable to recoup even the retail price.
    Which is great.
    Schadenfreude I believe it's called to take pleasure in another's misfortune...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

You'd be crazy to pay that money for either console but kids put huge pressure on their parents at Christmas to get one but there are people paying it

It's even worse with concert tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Good enough for them , I hope they all make a loss or are left out of pocket in someway. It's basically the same as ticket-touting.
    I hope that some people have enough sense to wait a few weeks extra to buy it from an actual store than to be ripped off.....but chances are someone will fork out the cash
    You'd be crazy to pay that money for either console but kids put huge pressure on their parents at Christmas
    Kid : Mam...Dad...buy me a PS4 , buy me a PS4 etc etc...
    That's the extent of the 'pressure' really. Constant whinging.

A parent should be able to say 'No , you're not getting it' or at least 'You can have one after Xmas etc', or make them work for it !
    You aren't obliged to give into every little whim of a crying kid. They grow up without a sense of 'value' for things when everything is just given to them on a plate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Kid : Mam...Dad...buy me a PS4 , buy me a PS4 etc etc...
    That's the extent of the 'pressure' really. Constant whinging.

A parent should be able to say 'No , you're not getting it' or at least 'You can have one after Xmas etc', or make them work for it !
    You aren't obliged to give into every little whim of a crying kid. They grow up without a sense of 'value' for things when everything is just given to them on a plate.

You're giving some parents way too much credit to be honest. While most are able to do that, there are plenty who will just do whatever their 'little angels' tell them to do.

Some parents just don't know how to say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

was glad to see that the vast majority of overpriced ps4's and xbones on adverts didnt sell
    in fact most sellers were shouted down and put firmly in their place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, maybe there is a such a thing as Christmas spirit after all.... and profiteering feckers get what's coming to them.
    Next year, World Peace!
    Or as Germany in 1939 wanted, A Piece of the World!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Is this a serious thread? I hope the people on adverts shouting people down into putting their prices down are taken off adverts. People can sell whats theres at any price they want, noone is being forced to buy it.

And "put in their place"?! Unreal! "I cant afford that so you have to bring your prices down to suit me"

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

PucaMama wrote: »
    Is this a serious thread?
    And "put in their place"?! Unreal! "I cant afford that so you have to bring your prices down to suit me"

Is this a serious comment ???
    There's a big difference between what you're talking about and buying something with the sole intent of putting it straight onto adverts at double the price. Disgusting behaviour, especially at this time of year and I hope they end up making a loss.

Mad_Dave wrote: »
    Is this a serious comment ???
    There's a big difference between what you're talking about and buying something with the sole intent of putting it straight onto adverts at double the price. Disgusting behaviour, especially at this time of year and I hope they end up making a loss.

People do this to make a bit of money. Would anyone refuse a bit of extra money around xmas I dont think so! Again you are not being forced to buy it so I dont see your problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

People do this to make a bit of money. Would anyone refuse a bit of extra money around xmas I dont think so! Again you are not being forced to buy it so I dont see your problem

they're more than entitled to do it and everyone else is more than entitled to grin smugly when their plan falters.

they're more than entitled to do it and everyone else is more than entitled to grin smugly when their plan falters.

Such begrudging attitudes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Were the Adverts rules changed at some point? As far as I always saw, profiteering, i.e. selling for above the market rate, was against the rules.

If people are selling for higher than that why aren't they being reported and mods doing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

they could have added on €50 or €100 profit and that would be fine, they're entitled to earn some money to pay for their own christmas.

its the feckers adding on €300 or €350 preying on desperate parents that i'd like to see fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

People are buying up available stock to limit the purchasing ability of genuine customers in an aim to force them to pay their over inflated prices.

It's absolutely scummy behaviour and I'm delighted to see many of them are being left out of pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Were the Adverts rules changed at some point? As far as I always saw, profiteering, i.e. selling for above the market rate, was against the rules.

If people are selling for higher than that why aren't they being reported and mods doing something?

It was bought by daft, profiteering rules no longer apply (except to tickets i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Such begrudging attitudes

Aww, nobody buy your ps4 off ya?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Only against the rules for tickets apparently

o1s1n wrote: »
    People are buying up available stock to limit the purchasing ability of genuine customers in an aim to force them to pay their over inflated prices.

It's absolutely scummy behaviour and I'm delighted to see many of them are being left out of pocket.

They are both still available at their normal prices and people woild get them at those prices lile we did if they had a bot of patience.

Aww, nobody buy your ps4 off ya?!!

Hah I got one for us, ive no need or time for buying and selling them

Master of the Universe

They are both still available at their normal prices and people woild get them at those prices lile we did if they had a bot of patience.

If consoles are still available then it was just a failed profiteer attempt. It doesn't excuse the act of profiteering in itself.

Ive just read some of the adds. Hqve to say calling someone names isnt putting them in their place or standimg up to "profiteering". I thought there was rules against bullying on adverts.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Buying up what consoles were available to make a profit this close to christmas isn't nice, simple as. I'm delighted to see all the overpriced adverts ones grow stale./

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Ive just read some of the adds. Hqve to say calling someone names isnt putting them in their place or standimg up to "profiteering". I thought there was rules against bullying on adverts.ie?

would you not say its bullying buying up a limited product and then double the price as you know parents are stuck to buy it for Christmas presents.
    Delighted if they end up out of pocket and the bully word is becoming over used. What happened the old saying 'sticks and stones'.
    Enjoy Christmas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And that's the point.
    They bought up available stock.
    Expected to make a killing.
    Adverts refused to act against blatant profiteering.
    So people have a right to vent here on Boards, seeing as they are likely to be banned for thread spoiling on Adverts.

Free speech man.
    If I don't like a practice I've the right to say it.

I am a gamer.
    I didn't buy either console as I don't want one yet but there were a lot of people who did but were confounded by profiteers.

If you live by the sword you can die by it.
    They expected to make loads due to market forces, manipulated by the own greed and now they are going to be bitten on the wallet by the same forces they failed to consider properly.
    Good enough for them.
    They are speculators and are in it for greed.

There has been a good number of good people who gave away preorder codes to people who were in need of them, and others who sold their machines at logical prices.
    To them I tip my cap and tug upon my forelock.
    Well done and thank ye sai.

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    would you not say its bullying buying up a limited product and then double the price as you know parents are stuck to buy it for Christmas presents.
    Delighted if they end up out of pocket and the bully word is becoming over used. What happened the old saying 'sticks and stones'.
    Enjoy Christmas

No thats not bullying at all its making money. And parents stuck to buy it for xmas? Talk about spoiled children if they cant wait a while to get what they want. If there wasnt such a mad rush to give children every little thing they want noone would be at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Profiteering Attempting to sell an item above the Recommended Retail Price (RRP)
    Adverts.ie is a community marketplace and does not encourage profiteering.
    We will not however remove the listing and we leave it up to the buyer to decide on whether to make an offer or not.
    Ticket sales is an exception. All ticket sales are at face value (plus booking fee and additional costs) or less. Adverts.ie moderators reserve the right to remove any ad that is deemed excessive.

One fellow is selling for €750, that's €350 over, and that's not considered excessive by adverts mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/brand-new-ps4/4466389

That bundle retails for 440. He's selling it for 750. Receipt is on the box. Not only blatant profiteering but a bit cheeky.

Master of the Universe

No thats not bullying at all its making money. And parents stuck to buy it for xmas? Talk about spoiled children if they cant wait a while to get what they want. If there wasnt such a mad rush to give children every little thing they want noone would be at this.

Okay so, here's a bit of reasoning for you.

You said they should 'wait a while to get what they want'

What's the purpose of the waiting? - It's because the item is scarce.

What adds to the scarceness? People buying up items to profiteer.

What would alleviate some of the scarceness? - people not profiteering.

It's as simple as that.

Any other item in regards to children 'getting what they want, people need to be better parents, yadda yadda' is irrelevant.

What we're talking about here is supply and demand, and how profiteering takes advantage of this in a really nasty way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

I have a PS4 on Adverts to sell.
    I prebooked it in June, was quite excited about it but after the few days of novelty, it quickly dawned on me that there is nothing much to play on it (Resogun I thought was...grand; Killzone I traded in quickly). The plan was to get rid of my PS3 to offset the purchase but I still use it and it does things the PS4 doesn't e.g. 3D Bluray playback, NowTV).
    Last week I learnt, too late, that CeX was giving 505 cash for it and I realised I never use the bloomin' PS4. I'm sure it'll be great in the near-future but at the moment it's another box taking up space under my telly. So I'm happy to wait and let someone who really wants it have mine. It may not sell as the market seems pretty flooded and that doesn't bother me either but I think 500 is a fair price - 12.5% premium for the person who buys it who didnt have the foresight to prebook and has left it until Christmas Eve, and 12.5% profit for me who's willing to live without it for the next 3 or 4 months.
    I didn't buy it with this in mind and I'm not an Evil Person. I've just come to the decision that it's the best thing for me to do; I realise there has been some arm-chancers on Adverts (this is not a new phenomenon, or one exclusive to the PS4 by the way!) but I write this as a counterbalance to all the complainers who seem to be under the impression that a new, high-demand piece of technology should somehow be exempt from normal market forces.
    Everything I know about Economics I learned from Leonard Smalls:
    "Price. A fair price. That's not what you say it is, and it's not what I say it is... It's what the market will bear."

Master of the Universe

You are completely within your right to charge whatever you want. If you find someone to pay that, then so be it.

Personally I don't like taking advantage of people to get more money out of them, but hey, that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I put a 360 on ebay at launch, I was going to keep it but decided not to, I stuck it up for the RRP and let people bid for it, wound up making like 100 quid once the ebay fees and that were taken. There was consoles for 900-1000 quid listed on it around then which is madness. There's a difference between letting people offer you what they think is a fair price for something in big demand and just extorting people.

Advertisement