Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding people selling PS4s and Xbox Ones on Adverts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Were the Adverts rules changed at some point? As far as I always saw, profiteering, i.e. selling for above the market rate, was against the rules.

If people are selling for higher than that why aren't they being reported and mods doing something?

It changed when Adverts went profit....they get all thise €5 Premium adverts and are cashing in just as the PS4 scalpers are.

donegal. wrote: »
    they could have added on €50 or €100 profit and that would be fine, they're entitled to earn some money to pay for their own christmas.

its the feckers adding on €300 or €350 preying on desperate parents that i'd like to see fail.

that the issue....if they had tried to make a reasonable profit, say 50 quid....they would all sell. But these greedy gits are looking for 100 - 300 profit :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I actually got some faith back in to human kind. If so many of these feckers were not able to shift their ps4/xbox ones shows that people can show signs of intelligence.

It was a gamble ( scummy at that too ), some people managed to win a few quid, some people burned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Nice to see :)
    Hopefully the 21 day return periods are up now for all the scalpers and they are left with a 2nd hand PS4's that they couldn't shift at RRP. Scummy behaviour on the run up to Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Argos don't take returns anyway do they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Where is this imaginary line of 50-100 quid profit being ok coming from? Why not a figure like 350 like the sellers are looking for? 50-100 wouldn't be worth some peoples time to meet up with a buyer, do an advert. So why should they not make the best price they think they can get?

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything, it's take it or leave it.

I don't want to pay retail price for a PS4 so I will wait until it comes down.

How is people selling PS4s for profit any different than any of the new products being sold on adverts? I got a quote for 600euro for a sat + aerial + installation.
    I don't want to Pay UPC prices anymore. This installation guy isn't profiteering in the same way? His skills are scare and have value. How is it any different?

It's capitalism, It's the whole basis for Adverts + Ebay + Amazon.

Publishers make a ton of money on selling games, Gamestop offer very little in return for used games and make a killing. It's no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

krudler wrote: »
    There's a difference between letting people offer you what they think is a fair price for something in big demand and just extorting people.
    But to be fair, that's just hyperbole. Extortion means coercion, that is violence or the the threat of violence and no could claim that is the case in any of these sales. Anyway, I doubt very much that any of the 750 euro PS4s have sold and in a few weeks it'll just be another mini-tulip bulb mania for the history books.
    I just find it odd that so many people's noses are put out of joint. It's not personal.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,309 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

elWizard wrote: »
    I have a PS4 on Adverts to sell.
    I prebooked it in June, was quite excited about it but after the few days of novelty, it quickly dawned on me that there is nothing much to play on it (Resogun I thought was...grand; Killzone I traded in quickly). The plan was to get rid of my PS3 to offset the purchase but I still use it and it does things the PS4 doesn't e.g. 3D Bluray playback, NowTV).
    Last week I learnt, too late, that CeX was giving 505 cash for it and I realised I never use the bloomin' PS4. I'm sure it'll be great in the near-future but at the moment it's another box taking up space under my telly. So I'm happy to wait and let someone who really wants it have mine. It may not sell as the market seems pretty flooded and that doesn't bother me either but I think 500 is a fair price - 12.5% premium for the person who buys it who didnt have the foresight to prebook and has left it until Christmas Eve, and 12.5% profit for me who's willing to live without it for the next 3 or 4 months.
    I didn't buy it with this in mind and I'm not an Evil Person. I've just come to the decision that it's the best thing for me to do; I realise there has been some arm-chancers on Adverts (this is not a new phenomenon, or one exclusive to the PS4 by the way!) but I write this as a counterbalance to all the complainers who seem to be under the impression that a new, high-demand piece of technology should somehow be exempt from normal market forces.
    Everything I know about Economics I learned from Leonard Smalls:
    "Price. A fair price. That's not what you say it is, and it's not what I say it is... It's what the market will bear."

Hmmm so what you're saying is you're selling a used console for more than you bought it for? Just because you didn't plan it from the start doesn't make it ok imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

I'm firmly in the 'good 'nuf for them' camp.

750 for a PS4?! Good luck with that ya gimp!

Really didn't expect to see so many of them on Adverts, but glad all the same...

..If I was a psychiatrist you could call me Sigmund Schadenfreude.

Arrow. wrote: »
    I'm firmly in the 'good 'nuf for them' camp.

750 for a PS4?! Good luck with that ya gimp!

Really didn't expect to see so many of them on Adverts, but glad all the same...

..If I was a psychiatrist you could call me Sigmund Schadenfreude.

What is worse is....i saw several adverts over the weekend wherby they said they "just picked up" console from x store....and they put the advert up right away :mad:

Meaning they have no interest in gaming or a PS4...just profit, they are taking a console away from a genuine person.

I just hope these feckers havent been using the beat the scalpers or find a console threads sources for their consoles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

manonboard wrote: »
    Where is this imaginary line of 50-100 quid profit being ok coming from? Why not a figure like 350 like the sellers are looking for? 50-100 wouldn't be worth some peoples time to meet up with a buyer, do an advert. So why should they not make the best price they think they can get?

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything, it's take it or leave it.

I don't want to pay retail price for a PS4 so I will wait until it comes down.

How is people selling PS4s for profit any different than any of the new products being sold on adverts? I got a quote for 600euro for a sat + aerial + installation.
    I don't want to Pay UPC prices anymore. This installation guy isn't profiteering in the same way? His skills are scare and have value. How is it any different?

It's capitalism, It's the whole basis for Adverts + Ebay + Amazon.

Publishers make a ton of money on selling games, Gamestop offer very little in return for used games and make a killing. It's no different.

Ah yes, the usual bleats of 'it's capitalism, it's a free market, it's just business etc etc'

Would you be saying the same thing if Gamestop and HMV suddenly hiked the price of the PS4 to €800 because of a shortage? Sure it's 'just capitalism' isn't it?

I'm fairly sure most people who be calling them scumbags and chancers. Which is what they're doing with adverts profiteers.

I see Advets have been banning people who are leaving negative comments.....Adverts supports scalpers then.

Yer man selling that PS4 for 750 dropped it to 650...lol, i hope they all get caught out once Xmas passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ha see on gamestops facebook they have more in, so really at this stage its a case of anyone who wants "one" can walk into a shop and walk out with a console now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just because you didn't plan it from the start doesn't make it ok imo.
    I'm not looking for anyone's approval, just offering an alternative view point against what I see as self-righteous groupthink. Gaming is a cool hobby and it's great that a new generation has arrived but that doesn't change how The Market works. Value is an arbitrary and subjective thing, but I took the time to breakdown why I think a 25% markup is justified; you don't agree with a price, then don't buy. It's utterly irrelevant whether it's second-hand or factory-sealed. Doesn't matter whether it's hotdogs or a Shiny Piece of Technology That Some People Can't Wait for. When demand for a product is higher than its supply, the price goes up. That's the world we live in. I fail to see what excludes the PS4 from this cast iron rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

In Ireland there is distaste for poorer people who are trying to be industrious /earn a bit of extra money.However it seems that lawyers/builders/architects and the like are entitled to name their price.God forbid that somebody might make an extra hundred on x-box, when I know of solicitor charging a man €20,000 for legal battle with x-wife.Builders as a rule never stick to price agreed to build a house, it always runs over budget. Anyway that's my rant...:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

Adverts has gone to dogs. It really has.

Full of chancers, scalpers and the kind of clown who'll offer an iPhone 4s + 100e for a 600e camera or something.

In Ireland there is distaste for poorer people who are trying to be industrious /earn a bit of extra money.However it seems that lawyers/builders/architects and the like are entitled to name their price.God forbid that somebody might make an extra hundred on x-box, when I know of solicitor charging a man €20,000 for legal battle with x-wife.Builders as a rule never stick to price agreed to build a house, it always runs over budget. Anyway that's my rant...:-)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah yes, the usual bleats of 'it's capitalism, it's a free market, it's just business etc etc'

Would you be saying the same thing if Gamestop and HMV suddenly hiked the price of the PS4 to €800 because of a shortage? Sure it's 'just capitalism' isn't it?

I'm fairly sure most people who be calling them scumbags and chancers. Which is what they're doing with adverts profiteers.
    Arrow. wrote: »
    Adverts has gone to dogs. It really has.

Full of chancers, scalpers and the kind of clown who'll offer an iPhone 4s + 100e for a 600e camera or something.

You cant even sell an item for a reasonable price depreciation anymore...you get insultingly low offers. Before they went Ebay it was a great site to buy and sell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/playstation-4-ps4/4473682

Put up 5 minutes ago and only 440 quid...I already have a PS4 but I don't think you'll get a much more reasonable price at this stage!

• Advertisement

Johngoose wrote: »

Its hardly the same, a lawyer puts in what 5 - 8 years of training?...the college bills etc. Its not the same as some chancer waling into a shop and putting up an ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Oh god fcuk off with that bull****

http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/playstation-4-ps4/4473682

Put up 5 minutes ago and only 440 quid...I already have a PS4 but I don't think you'll get a much more reasonable price at this stage!

Cheers...but alot of those heads-up non ads are being deleted. I guess Advets dont get their €5 Premium fee and will hurt their ad sales if people know they can get consoles at retail.

There is a snobbery element to this.If some "professional" in a fancy car comes up with an extortionate bill for their services,we don't question it, they probably had it tough in college before they moved to Ballsbridge....

There is a snobbery element to this.If some "professional" in a fancy car comes up with an extortionate bill for their services,we don't question it, they probably had it tough in college before they moved to Ballsbridge....

professional fess is a separate thread, a different discussion imo...its valid, but this is gaming releated.

I take your point.I'm just saying that there is the perception that pedlars are not to be trusted, not of good character and how dare they try and make a profit. However solicitors and such can charge what they like...

o1s1n wrote: »

I would fully expect them to do that if their future long term business would not be so negatively affected by reputation as to make it less profitable long term.
    However these private sellers have no long term business model to sustain so maximizing short term profit is exactly what our market decrees.

I think your also making an meaningless comparison as Gamestop being a proper corporate entity would never be allowed adjust their price without Sony Permission (unless they plan to wreck their relationship with Sony).
    Likewise they have to abide by certain return/warrant premises.

I could sell my Nissan Almera 00 for 10,000euro if there was some demand for it and people would be willing to pay. How would that not be morally different?

I'm actually a socially aware person, please don't mistake me for someone who doesn't care about peoples feelings. However, this is not medicine, nor food, nor safety or shelter, nor any kind of basic entertainment that is being sold here. It is a extremely high priced luxury good with cutting edge technology which is aimed at people who have large disposable income. If parents have raised their children to expect these types of luxury goods, at release time, at short notice, at Christmas and at crazy prices, then it's most certainly the poor boundaries that have been set for expectations that is the problem.

My girlfriend wanted jewellery this Christmas. I paid 250euro for a necklace. The shop made a killing for it because gold/fake looking diamonds is 'scare'... and the demand was there with the willingness to pay for it.

There is no difference.

jenjenten wrote: »
    You cant even sell an item for a reasonable price depreciation anymore...you get insultingly low offers. Before they went Ebay it was a great site to buy and sell :(

But do you not feel that this simply means that reasonably depreciation in your view is too different to what the people wishing to purchase?

The depreciation rate is exactly the point at which the buyer and sellers price can agree after negotiation etc?
    Goods have become incredibly consumable and throw away due to mass manufacturing and importation from the massive global economy. How could depreciation rates ever be expected to remain low?

I take your point.I'm just saying that there is the perception that pedlars are not to be trusted, not of good character and how dare they try and make a profit. However solicitors and such can charge what they like...

I'm assuming that you're one of the people trying to rip off others as you're talking utter nonsense. If someone gets a bill from a professional and it is significantly higher than the going rate then people will question it and not just sit by and do nothing. Anyone who is trying to profit significantly from reselling their PS4 or Xbox1 is a dick. A scummy price who deserves to lose money.

• Advertisement

manonboard wrote: »
    But do you not feel that this simply means that reasonably depreciation in your view is too different to what the people wishing to purchase?

The depreciation rate is exactly the point at which the buyer and sellers price can agree after negotiation etc?
    Goods have become incredibly consumable and throw away due to mass manufacturing and importation from the massive global economy. How could depreciation rates ever be expected to remain low?

My point was...a few years ago, before Adverts was bought out and was ad based profit, you could get reasonable depreciation based prices.

Advertisement