Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding people selling PS4s and Xbox Ones on Adverts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Lets compare the xbox one to PS4.....HUGE difference in numbers of ad sales, either there is no interest or that stock of X1 is readily available, or that the PS4 is more popular.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,309 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

elWizard wrote: »
    I'm not looking for anyone's approval, just offering an alternative view point against what I see as self-righteous groupthink. Gaming is a cool hobby and it's great that a new generation has arrived but that doesn't change how The Market works. Value is an arbitrary and subjective thing, but I took the time to breakdown why I think a 25% markup is justified; you don't agree with a price, then don't buy. It's utterly irrelevant whether it's second-hand or factory-sealed. Doesn't matter whether it's hotdogs or a Shiny Piece of Technology That Some People Can't Wait for. When demand for a product is higher than its supply, the price goes up. That's the world we live in. I fail to see what excludes the PS4 from this cast iron rule.

I'm not refuting anything you said, I'd imagine it's the way most scalpers would try and justify what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If someone saw a chance to make a few quid buying a ps4 or xbox one so be it. Doesn't matter if the seller is making €50 or €500 profit. It's their choice. Its there risk.

On the flip side, its up to a person to pay such a price. Most wouldnt. I know I bloody well wouldnt. But what a person does with their money is none of my business.

But I don't understand how someone could say these console sellers are scum / jerks / wrong etc. Near enough everything in this world is a rip off! I could go down the road to my local Spar and pay €4 for a crappy sandwich that I could just make myself.... Could pay a painter €200 to paint the sitting room.... Could pay €100 for a turkey if i wanted.... point is people are looking to make money. Doesnt matter if its some random guy on adverts, a tradesmen or a big company. 99% are looking to rip you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

I don't have electronics for sale,I'm not trying to make a profit on a Playstation or X-box. I'm assuming you are somebody that doesn't mind paying €50 or more to a general practitioner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This thread is not about the price of solicitors or doctors. We're already close to moving this to adverts feedback or consumer issues so keep it to gaming please.

• Advertisement

i am making a moral judgement...it upsets me and angers me to see poor parents taken advantage of. The point is **I** would not act like that....and i cant understand why others would :confused:

i would feel like the most horrible person ever if i tried to sell a 400 euro console for 700, not just the profit...but knowing they seller only bought a ps4 to resell it for a big profit.

If someone saw a chance to make a few quid buying a ps4 or xbox one so be it. Doesn't matter if the seller is making €50 or €500 profit. It's their choice. Its there risk.

On the flip side, its up to a person to pay such a price. Most wouldnt. I know I bloody well wouldnt. But what a person does with their money is none of my business.

But I don't understand how someone could say these console sellers are scum / jerks / wrong etc. Near enough everything in this world is a rip off! I could go down the road to my local Spar and pay €4 for a crappy sandwich that I could just make myself.... Could pay a painter €200 to paint the sitting room.... Could pay €100 for a turkey if i wanted.... point is people are looking to make money. Doesnt matter if its some random guy on adverts, a tradesmen or a big company.

Dario:- I don't have electronics for sale,I'm not trying to make a profit on a Playstation or X-box. I'm assuming you are somebody that doesn't mind paying €50 or more to a general practitioner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

If some idiot wants to pay twice the value for their spoiled brat let them.

This thread is not about the price of solicitors or doctors. We're already close to moving this to adverts feedback or consumer issues so keep it to gaming please.

please dont!...:( ....the advets mods will just delte it!!

Johnny Ultimate:- A few of us here are just making the point that there is blatant profiteering in many occupations...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

Johngoose wrote: »
    I'm assuming you are somebody that doesn't mind paying €50 or more to a general practitioner

It's the exact same thing! :pac:

bur wrote: »
    If some idiot wants to pay twice the value for their spoiled brat let them.

I agree, but I can, at the same time disagree with the tactics employed by some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I have a PS4 on Adverts to sell.
    I prebooked it in June, was quite excited about it but after the few days of novelty, it quickly dawned on me that there is nothing much to play on it (Resogun I thought was...grand; Killzone I traded in quickly). The plan was to get rid of my PS3 to offset the purchase but I still use it and it does things the PS4 doesn't e.g. 3D Bluray playback, NowTV).
    Last week I learnt, too late, that CeX was giving 505 cash for it and I realised I never use the bloomin' PS4. I'm sure it'll be great in the near-future but at the moment it's another box taking up space under my telly. So I'm happy to wait and let someone who really wants it have mine. It may not sell as the market seems pretty flooded and that doesn't bother me either but I think 500 is a fair price - 12.5% premium for the person who buys it who didnt have the foresight to prebook and has left it until Christmas Eve, and 12.5% profit for me who's willing to live without it for the next 3 or 4 months.
    I didn't buy it with this in mind and I'm not an Evil Person. I've just come to the decision that it's the best thing for me to do; I realise there has been some arm-chancers on Adverts (this is not a new phenomenon, or one exclusive to the PS4 by the way!) but I write this as a counterbalance to all the complainers who seem to be under the impression that a new, high-demand piece of technology should somehow be exempt from normal market forces.
    Everything I know about Economics I learned from Leonard Smalls:
    "Price. A fair price. That's not what you say it is, and it's not what I say it is... It's what the market will bear."

It's a 25% premium not 12.5%.

You ARE literally charging someone 5/4's for an item that is already USED.

And the hilarious thing for me, is this line...
    and 12.5% profit for me who's willing to live without it for the next 3 or 4 months.

You're selling it because you don't want it? That is the biggest load of bollocks I have read in a while, you're as bad as the rest of them in my book.

Johnny Ultimate:- A few of us here are just making the point that there is blatant profiteering in many occupations...

While we're not disputing it, hoovering up in demand merchandise over the Christmas period and selling them to your peers at inflated prices - forcing people who may not have the money to spend almost double on a present so as not to disappoint someone at Christmas - to make a quick buck is scummy.

Thanks arrow,some people are more equal than others as the saying goes.

I've read before about toy manufacturers/ gaming console manufacturers deliberately releasing a limited supply of their products for the Christmas market. The product sells out quickly, parents and children alike are left disappointed. The parent buys their child a different christmas present. Guilt drives parent to buy the product the child originally wanted in the month of January. Don't fool yourself into thinking the "selling out" is as innocent as it seems...

I've read before about toy manufacturers/ gaming console manufacturers deliberately releasing a limited supply of their products for the Christmas market. The product sells out quickly, parents and children alike are left disappointed. The parent buys their child a different christmas present. Guilt drives parent to buy the product the child originally wanted in the month of January. Don't fool yourself into thinking the "selling out" is as innocent as it seems...

I'm not under the illusion that industry is wholesome so with that, I just don't think we should be screwing each other over.

The perception is out there that if something is "sold out," it must be a great product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

It's a 25% premium not 12.5%.

You're selling it because you don't want it? That is the biggest load of bollocks I have read in a while, you're as bad as the rest of them in my book.

I never get involved in Internet debates because (a) no-one ever reads what any one else writes (b) people misuse words all the time (I already called out the "extortion" exaggeration (c) it invariable gets too personal too quickly (seen a lot of "scumbags" on this thread) and (d) everyone's made up their minds in advance.
    I offered my personal feelings on the matter because I think it's an interesting subject and I thought the discussion could use some balance, although I see at least others here feel somewhat the same way about how capitalism works.

To answer your concerns more specifically: I don't need my PS4 yet. I don't want to play Resogun. i don't want to play Killzone. I could, if I had more time, play Assassin's creed and fifa on the PS3, at an eye-watering slightly lower resolution, poor me. First world problems because let's face it, this is a luxury item, not a necessity. I found out last week that I could have got 500 euro from CeX. That sounds about right at this moment in time, but will likely change after tomorrow: 12.5% premium for the demand plus 12.5% for the fact that I'm forgoing the PS4 for a few months. That equals 25%. You're stating that that is on a par with someone who bought a PS4 with the express intention of selling it for double the price. Well I'm very sorry you feel so strongly about it, but I'm saying you're overstating things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭weisses

(seen a lot of "scumbags" on this thread)

So did I

Didn't xtra vision have extra stock in ?? Just heard an add on the radio

The manufacturing of "first world" luxury good is all based on exploitation anyway. Cheap Chinese labour and limited laws protecting Chinese workers, is the basis for the success of products such as "I-Pad." Much of our clothing, footwear and electronics are produced, through the suffering of Asians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

weisses wrote: »
    So did I
    hah! I really only meant the WORD "scumbags"...

The person selling the Playstation 4 privately for their own gain, is no worse than these big corporations who exploit cheap labour in the east.

I suppose we just see the glossy finished product, which is heavily advertised and marketed in the west.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

To be fair all that is happening is there is an extra middle man. A factory makes an PS4 for (maybe) $100. Sony pay the factory $120. Sony sell to to wholesaler for $300. Wholesaler sells it to retailer for $350. Retailer sells it to you or adverts.ie person for €400.
    By the rationale here everyone is a scumbag except for the factory who made the product.

People have a choice whether they buy it or not. If someone wants to spend €550 or €1,000 on one let them. The old phrase 'fools and their money' comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

A PS4 is only worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. Although I condone the idea of people hoovering up available supply to make a profit, the simple matter of the fact is if there are still idiots who are enabling this kind of practice then it will carry on indefinitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

To answer your concerns more specifically: I don't need my PS4 yet. I don't want to play Resogun. i don't want to play Killzone. I could, if I had more time, play Assassin's creed and fifa on the PS3, at an eye-watering slightly lower resolution, poor me. First world problems because let's face it, this is a luxury item, not a necessity. I found out last week that I could have got 500 euro from CeX. That sounds about right at this moment in time, but will likely change after tomorrow: 12.5% premium for the demand plus 12.5% for the fact that I'm forgoing the PS4 for a few months. That equals 25%. You're stating that that is on a par with someone who bought a PS4 with the express intention of selling it for double the price. Well I'm very sorry you feel so strongly about it, but I'm saying you're overstating things.

I don't have concerns, Charging a premium because you have to go without something, YOU DONT EVEN WANT, is the biggest pile of bollocks I've heard.

It's just something you're telling yourself to make yourself feel better for trying to fleece people at christmas.

I also find it unlikely that a second hand shop offered you 100e more than the console is worth new, but I don't really care anyway, what you're doing is pretty shítty, especially at christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

ITT, people discover capitalism.

I love all the justification for trying to rip off people. "Oh, Apple are not nice people and if they can exploit people then I need to try and do the same".

Anyone who is trying to sell a PS4 for €600-€700 is a scumbag. Trying to say they're entrepreneurs or anything is nonsense. People buying up the stock with the dole purpose of selling it on for a profit are opportunist scumbags just trying to try and get one over on desperate parents. I'm really glad that so many of these people with PS4's for sale are being forced to lower their prices to more realistic levels and I hope that all those people are left with a machine that they can't sell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Anyone who is trying to sell a PS4 for €600-€700 is a scumbag. Trying to say they're entrepreneurs or anything is nonsense. People buying up the stock with the dole purpose of selling it on for a profit are opportunist scumbags just trying to try and get one over on desperate parents.

Are the retailers scumbags for selling them at a profit too?

Advertisement