Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding people selling PS4s and Xbox Ones on Adverts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Are the retailers scumbags for selling them at a profit too?

:rolleyes: ...thats different, and you know it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Maybe in the US but they're not made in the US.

From the website (where I assume you got your info)
    "AllThingsD got an early look at the analysis, in which the firm estimates the cost of those parts, plus what it costs to assemble them, at $381"

That is an equivalent of 278 euro. There is more than $18 profit there

Don't know what happened my post.

Most of the PS4 in store were manufactured in Japan and part costs are comparable.

People trying to justify individuals making big profits on their consoles by using the fact that they're made in less than idea conditions are just clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

People forking out money hand over fist to gigantic companies like Sony & Microsoft making a stand against profiteering.
    lol.

From the website (where I assume you got your info)
    AllThingsD got an early look at the analysis, in which the firm estimates the cost of those parts, plus what it costs to assemble them, at $381

That is an equivalent of 278 euro. There is more than $18 profit there

Then there's the costs of getting them sent over here, tax, etc, etc. At the end of the day the profit in consoles is tiny and more often than not they are sold at a loss, as was the case with the PS3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

dole purpose

Relevant typo :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why would it cost more to get it here from Japan rather than Japan to US?

I think you will find that Sony markets their products (like every other company) at different prices in different jurisdictions. The US get them cheaper usually. There is usually no real reason for this other than they see that they can get extra margin on these shore.
    You are correct though in that normally these things are sold cheaply as the mark ups on the games are so much that they make an absolute killing on them. So are the game sellers scumbags?

That said this is market economics we are talking about. First year economics will show you as supply goes down price goes up. It is the free market. Capitalism at its most basic. The point is people do not have to purchase at inflated prices. Would you?
    Therefore there are no victims here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Johngoose wrote: »
    In Ireland there is distaste for poorer people who are trying to be industrious /earn a bit of extra money.However it seems that lawyers/builders/architects and the like are entitled to name their price.God forbid that somebody might make an extra hundred on x-box, when I know of solicitor charging a man €20,000 for legal battle with x-wife.Builders as a rule never stick to price agreed to build a house, it always runs over budget. Anyway that's my rant...:-)

Ha, so now the scalpers are just poor people trying to make a euro or two?
    Are you basing this on anything in particular?
    Because where I'm standing these "poor people" who could throw down 400 plus for a next gen console are not the hard up fellows you describe or that I'm familiar with.
    Capitalism relies on exploiting the needs of people to make profit, so be bare faced and don't pretend to be a gamer or have anyone's interests but yourselves at heart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    People forking out money hand over fist to gigantic companies like Sony & Microsoft making a stand against profiteering.
    lol.

They are a company that spends money creating a product people buy for money. Their size doesn't come into it except that they're successful.
    So, we going to be "lol"ing at car manufactures next?
    The people who are trying to profiteer are creating nothing except attempting to cash in on and generate more demand and item shortages.
    To hell with them, hope they lose their shirt over it and have to sell the consoles at a loss afterwards.
    Lol, as you might say.

Why would it cost more to get it here from Japan rather than Japan to US?

I think you will find that Sony markets their products (like every other company) at different prices in different jurisdictions. The US get them cheaper usually. There is usually no real reason for this other than they see that they can get extra margin on these shore.
    You are correct though in that normally these things are sold cheaply as the mark ups on the games are so much that they make an absolute killing on them. So are the game sellers scumbags?

That said this is market economics we are talking about. First year economics will show you as supply goes down price goes up. It is the free market. Capitalism at its most basic. The point is people do not have to purchase at inflated prices. Would you?

Does that 400 dollar figure include sales tax? Most items in the US are advertised at a figure which does not include the sales tax and as such the price difference between the PS4 in the US and Europe is a lot less than it looks based on those figures. If our VAT and such was comparable to US sales tax then we'd be getting the PS4 for a bit cheaper.

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    lol.

I bet all those individuals who are selling on their PS4 consoles incurred considerable costs during the R&D, manufacturing, etc, etc. And I bet that if people have issues with their console then the private seller will be happy to offer a refund or replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Quick question, for the Parents who are willing to spend the money ( if they want/have to) to ensure that their kids get what they want off Santa, why are their kids "spoiled little brats"?

And for the people that suggest waiting until after Christmas, let's see you try to explain to your child that Santa does exist but that he does a second drop in the new year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

There's the guy who wanted to buy a console in the store but couldn't because someone had bought it with the intention of selling for profit. Is he not a victim?

COYVB wrote: »
    There's the guy who wanted to buy a console in the store but couldn't because someone had bought it with the intention of selling for profit. Is he not a victim?
    No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I believe at full RRP (which is €69.99 IIRC) a vendor would make about a tenner - however most retailers now sell at €59.99 or less because of online competition, so make buttons for every game sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

No

:rolleyes: ....really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

I don't have concerns, Charging a premium because you have to go without something, YOU DONT EVEN WANT, is the biggest pile of bollocks I've heard.

It's just something you're telling yourself to make yourself feel better for trying to fleece people at christmas.

I also find it unlikely that a second hand shop offered you 100e more than the console is worth new, but I don't really care anyway, what you're doing is pretty shítty, especially at christmas.
    So basically you're accusing me of dishonesty twice? The 25% premium in my first post was perfectly clear but you carried on like I was pulling a fast one. I dont have to provided this information, I'm just throwing some light on why some people might be tempted to sell. Which is frankly nobody else's business by the way.
    And the CEX price is well documented in this thread, page 11 of the PS4 megathread 2.0 in case link isn't working:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88069988

They're still offering 412 as of today so there's still 13 euro profit to be made for any one who wants it. But don't let little things like facts get in the way of your self-righteous indignation.

This thread has gone silly. The price IS what people are willing to pay for any product. Completely arbirtary to single out one product against the millions over- or undervalued out there.

So if someone sells their PS4 for 350 today, is the buyer not exploiting the seller to the tune of 49 euro? That's the logic being applied by a lot of people on here, but I can't imagine any one starting a thread about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

elWizard wrote: »
    So basically you're accusing me of dishonesty twice? The 25% premium in my first post was perfectly clear but you carried on like I was pulling a fast one. I dont have to provided this information, I'm just throwing some light on why some people might be tempted to sell. Which is frankly nobody else's business by the way.
    And the CEX price is well documented in this thread, page 11 of the PS4 megathread 2.0 in case link isn't working:

They're still offering 412 as of today so there's still 13 euro profit to be made for any one who wants it. But don't let little things like facts get in the way of your self-righteous indignation.

This thread has gone silly. The price IS what people are willing to pay for any product. Completely arbirtary to single out one product against the millions over- or undervalued out there.

So if someone sells their PS4 for 350 today, is the buyer not exploiting the seller to the tune of 49 euro? That's the logic being applied by a lot of people on here, but I can't imagine any one starting a thread about that.

You said cex offered you 500e... not 412.

Charging someone an extra 100e because its something you don't want makes no sense, you're trying to profit off of an unfortunate person who is stuck, and worse, you're trying to justify it with pure bollocksology.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,309 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

elWizard wrote: »

If the used console you sold over the RRP tanks will you offer a refund? Someone selling a used PS4 for 50e less then RRP is not being exploited, it's a fair price. Electronic goods to not hold their value and certainly do not gain value once they have been used.

Don't get me wrong, I get it, you saw an opportunity for a quick buck and you took it, more power to you, but you know full well many people find what you did amoral so don't act the victim when people call you up on it, and don't post in public forums about it if you don't want to be scrutinised for it.

COYVB wrote: »
    I believe at full RRP (which is €69.99 IIRC) a vendor would make about a tenner - however most retailers now sell at €59.99 or less because of online competition, so make buttons for every game sold

Someone is making profit though or are we to believe that Sony are not making huge money from the Playstation franchise?

Calling a guy who misses out on getting a PS4 a victim is stretching the term to the limits. So what if he has to wait two weeks for it. There are plenty of PS 3 games or X box or PC games to keep him occupied until the shops restock. Its not like a concert ticket where it is the only chance they will get to go.
    As I said already if it costs too much then don't buy it. If you are willing to pay the asking price that is supply and demand. If you don't like capitalism vote for a non capitalist party come the next election.

• Advertisement

You said cex offered you 500e... not 412.

Charging someone an extra 100e because its something you don't want makes no sense, you're trying to profit off of an unfortunate person who is stuck, and worse, you're trying to justify it with pure bollocksology.

Why do you seem to think I'm trying to pull one over on you? I've given nothing but facts. All you've offered in return is insults and bad language, and the same assertion each time, that I'm trying to justify something.
    I'm not trying to justify anything, believe me my conscience is clear and anyway this is all academic; I'd be extremely surprised if I sell the thing and guess what? I'll still have a PS4 at the end of the day, which is nice, but at the moment a luxury I could easily live without for a few months. TBH i'm sorta playing devil's advocate, I think there is a line over which some sellers have gone BUT I think people are 'special pleading' on here because...all gamers are brothers or something? Which I suspect not to be the case.
    So, to be clear one last time, I like the PS4 but yes I will gladly take 500 for it now if someone is willing to part with that much; then i'll wait a few months for the supply to increase and hopefully the software improve.
    CeX WERE offering 505 last wednesday. Now it's gone down to 412. Read the thread, and then do a search on their site and you'll see, I'm not making it up. But frankly if I know someone will give me 412 for it, why would I go through the heartache of trying to sell it on Adverts for any thing less than that?
    And spare me the straw man argument about "some unfortunate person"; if it makes you feel any better I promise if some buyer turns up at my door with raggedy, undernourished kids then I won't sell it to them or i'll give it to them at cost. But if someone wants it who can well afford it, has decided that they simply MUST have it to play on Christmas day but never bothered perordering or sitting on argos stock checker all day to get one, then yeah, they're gonna pay 25% over the RRP, you're damn right they are.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Electronic goods to not hold their value and certainly do not gain value once they have been used.

Don't get me wrong, I get it, you saw an opportunity for a quick buck and you took it, more power to you, but you know full well many people find what you did amoral so don't act the victim when people call you up on it, and don't post in public forums about it if you don't want to be scrutinised for it.

ANY product increases in value if demand outweighs supply.

thank you for your comments, i think 'amoral' is overstating it, I don't mind what I say being scrutinised I just felt one poster in particular was slightly twisting my words and so offered some rebuttal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Some people are born to be sellers, others just buyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ebbsy wrote: »
    Some people are born to be gougers, others just buyers.

FYP :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Someone who doesn't get a PS4 cos they forgot to pre order or thought they'd just get one isn't a victim to me, don't get me wrong. The victim part comes from people buying PS4's deliberately to make a buck off people who didn't pre order. We seem to forget not every person who'd want a PS4 is a seasoned gamer/forum reader who thought you'd need to pre order such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

People are ignoring that Adverts was started as a community site; as a way for Boards members to buy and sell from each other.

Where's the community in such blatant profiteering? It's just people who've probably put them up on every site they can at the inflated prices to make money, they're not interested in the community of people behind them who've built them and use them to treat each other with a bit of respect.

Gouge if you want but don't try and paint yourself as some enterprising individual, you're doing nothing more than exploiting holiday demand and taking advantage of the goodwill behind a community built site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Seems like a ridiculous gamble tbh. Not even odds of 1/1. For such an outlay you'd be better of on the stock market. If you bought 25 shares (€406.25) in Sony back in May, you could of sold them for €575.25 in July. €169 in the bank.:cool:
    These guys are amateurs.

gekko.jpg

Share price may go up as well as down. Traders fees not included. You are expected to declare income and pay tax on said income.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if you bought one 9 bar of hash and sold it all in eights you'd clear 3-4 hundred quid at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

You forgot about the risk of Damo 'cutten off yer fingerz' for stepping on on his turf.

But yeah, kudos to your entrepreneurial skills bud!

• Advertisement

If CEX are shifting them for over rrp prices they are profiteering as well, capitalism at this time of year can get stuffed.

Advertisement